Anyone got a cure for LWHOAD

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
weedie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Anyone got a cure for LWHOAD

Post by weedie »

"Retired'' has it sorted for you Davy.....go for it and buy what you like..If it makes you happy and you're not hurting anyone..go for it.
" Quiet is quite nice " ..... weedie .....
Cayden
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play high and low whistle with Traditional Irish Music being my focus of interest. I love Irish music and consider it as a direct connection to my Irish heritage. I enjoy participation in whistle tours, chatting with other players, and learning much from the many talented folks that frequent C & F.

Post by Cayden »

BigDavy wrote:Hi Cayden

This is the session kit, less the chieftain low F, it was bought after this picture was taken.

David

David,
SWEEEEEEEEEET! ! ! :thumbsup:

Cayden
"TEAM TRAD" Pro Staff
Official Life Member of DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY
"Joanie Madden, Mary Bergin, and Andrea Corr, each a Whistle Goddess in her own right"!
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

In that photo, how many are Low D?

I definitely had/have LWHOAD by one measure, in that I've bought perhaps 30 Low Ds over the last five years or so (including a half-dozen MKs) when I decided to give up flute and go with the Low D whistle instead.

By another measure I'm LWHOAD-free because after playing and evaluating whistles I usually sell off the ones I don't intend on using. I generally keep only one whistle for each key. After I've found the one in a particular key that works the best, why keep any others around? I'm not going to play the also-rans, so they just occupy space.

True that at the moment I have three Low Ds which don't get played, whistles that were given to me by various people. They were handy to have around recently to help me evaluate the new Chieftan V4 in context. But they'll never make it out to a gig.

Same with Highland pipes: I have a wonderful 100 year old set which does everything better than any of the 30 or so sets I've owned over the last 40 years. Why have other pipes sitting around not getting played? I'd rather sell them and have the money, so I can buy stuff I can use.

What I don't have is a good Low C. I'll probably sell off my extra Low Ds to help pay for one.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

pancelticpiper wrote:What I don't have is a good Low C. I'll probably sell off my extra Low Ds to help pay for one.
Richard, here's a used aluminum Burke low C in the euro zone (Euro 180, approx. $246 vs. Michael's list of $340):
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=96274
BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

Hi pancelticpiper

There are 2 - a Dixon TB012D and the MK.

L-R - No name low C, Howard low C, the 2 low Ds, Ormiston high D, Chieftain low Eb, Howard low E, Dixon low F, Chieftain alto G and Susato alto A.

Currently the set has a Chieftain low F and the no name low C has been relegated to the trunk of my car.

The new MK arrived this morning - green, with powder coating and in really nice condition :D

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
narrowdog
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by narrowdog »

...that Purple MK is some nice 'Bling' BigDavy :thumbsup:
Happiness is taking things as they are.
ecohawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by ecohawk »

I'll agree with narrowdog on that MK. My first reaction was that this is a working musicians whistle roll for sure. I'm betting you make quite a lot of happiness with this setup BigDavy.

ecohawk

P.S. To the OP, your question states a pseudo-cure in search of a problem. Who among us gets to decide what value the rest of us place on the cost or number of musical instruments one may have? AFAIC, if one makes you happy, or one in each key makes you happy, or one in each key from each maker makes you happy, that's all that matters. Life is too short to not enjoy every day possible. Make music any way you choose.

ecohawk
"Never get one of those cheap tin whistles. It leads to much harder drugs like pipes and flutes." - anon
BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

Hi ecohhawk

My whistle playing leaves a lot to be desired, but i am an absolute magpie when it comes to my interests. The best advice I ever got about instruments was to buy decent ones, they will be more rewarding to play and if you don't like it, it is easier to sell on.

As to being a working musician, the only instrument that I have been paid to play is bodhran, other people get more benefit from my session kit than me :lol:. One of my friends is forever losing his instruments, so if he turns up at a session, he borrows mine.

The MK is actually red not purple, the smartphone camera used to take the photo was not up to much.

David
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

No-name Low C eh? Do you have any clues as to the maker? It looks vaguely like a Chieftan V-3 doesn't it?

I can see the value in bringing both the Dixon and MK to gigs due to their very different volume. The 2nd octave of a loud Low D such as a Burke or MK can be a bit overpowering in a very quiet session.

I do the same with high Ds. I have an old Feadog which is superbly sweet, my all-time favourite D, but I carry around a Burke aluminum session-bore D for times when I need more volume.

Here's the roll I take to gigs

Though that red MK has been switched out to a black one. That red one was the loudest Low D I've ever played with a very strong low range, a superb whistle. I switched to a black one with a tad less overall power, but which has a slightly stronger Bottom D and a slightly sweeter high B.

One Overton in there, a low E. Burkes for low keys when I can afford them, Susatos in a couple seldom-used keys (Gb and Ab). Modified Gens for the high keys save for my old favourite Feadog D.
Richard Cook
Goldie Low D whistle
BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

Hi pancelticpiper

Nice kit you have there. :thumbsup:

I bought the low C thinking it was a chieftain, it was cheap enough to take a chance on. It seems to be a copy of a v3 chieftain, but the windway is different and it has none of the stamps that my other chieftain whistles have. The best guess is it was made in the Indian subcontinent. It got relegated to the trunk because the gap between the bottom holes was so wide that I had to play it with my pinky so could not get a consistent seal.

David
pancelticpiper

Post by pancelticpiper »

BTW my whistle roll contains, L-R
MK D
Burke Eb
Overton E
Burke F
Susato Gb
Burke G
Susato Ab
Burke A
Gen Bb (Freeman Tweaked)
Gen B (me tweaked)
Gen C
Gen C# (me tweaked)
Feadog D
Gen Eb (Freeman Tweaked)

WHOAD? Hmmm....

Isn't a single whistle I haven't used on a gig at some point or other.

Goals: Burke or Overton Low C, Burkes in Gb and Ab.

Richard
Richard Cook
Goldie Low D whistle