Where can I buy a whistle in Seattle?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
AnnaKF
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Where can I buy a whistle in Seattle?

Post by AnnaKF »

I have had a hankering lately to try my hand at a tin whistle (I grew up playing a Boehm flute and my dad plays whistles and the Irish flute) but for various reasons I don't want to order one online. I'm not particular about the whistle, I just want to give it a try and it seems like there must be some place in Seattle that sells whistles. I tried calling a couple of places but they said they didn't have any.

Ideas anyone?
MadmanWithaWhistle
Tell us something.: Instrument maker and researcher exploring new methods of creating traditional instruments with longevity aforethought. Player of the whistle, flute, and continental European border pipes.

Re: Where can I buy a whistle in Seattle?

Post by MadmanWithaWhistle »

I live on Bainbridge Island and am selling off a few of the whistles I no longer play. I return around Thanksgiving and would be happy to have you play a few.

Regards,
Cameron
Flexismart
Tell us something.: Some of my original tunes are displayed at https://thesession.org/members/49476
I play several flutes, many whistles, many guitars, bouzouki, banjo, and own way too many pedals.
I could open a music store if I didn't live in the back woods of Pennsylvania.

Post by Flexismart »

Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Dusty Strings is fun. Well worth dropping by.
AnnaKF

Post by AnnaKF »

Thanks for all the help, guys! I ended up wandering over to Fremont to check out Dusty Strings and it is AMAZING! They have so much stuff and the people were really nice. I got myself a Generation D whistle (which I'm hoping is a good place to start) so now I just have to learn to play it!

Thanks again!
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

That Gen is a good start and keep it fun :)

Give the whistle a chance and take your time, listen a lot and practice a lot too. :)
Katharine
Tell us something.: Something..............................................................................................

Post by Katharine »

Too late to help you out, but in case someone else finds this-- will area music stores not order whistles in for you? I've had a local music store that didn't keep whistles in stock, but they were more than happy to order what I wanted, and others have made the offer too when I've asked.

Of course, you don't get it right away, but you don't have to do the online ordering yourself/pay the shipping. Or, wait for the Celtic festivals if you have one coming up near you-- at least one of the vendors usually stocks at least a couple whistles.
Here's tae us--
Wha's like us?
Damn few--
And they're a' deid--
Mair's the pity.
swizzlestick
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by swizzlestick »

The Gen is a good one. But let me pass on some suggestions I wish I had received with my first whistle. Remove any plastic "flash" left over from the manufacturing process. Make sure the tube and windway are clear. And after playing it a bit, you may want to fill in the void under the windway in the mouthpiece. This is well described in the tweak discussion at the top of the list.
All of us contain Music & Truth, but most of us can't get it out. -- Mark Twain