Views On Best Whistle For Recording

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Phil Foster
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Views On Best Whistle For Recording

Post by Phil Foster »

Hi, Im a music producer and songwriter and I'm new to the world of whistles, so I'm here for a little advise please. I'm looking for a whistle (or two) that will sound good when recorded. I know this can be subjective but I have a few requirements and have already had a few professional recommendations. But I'd be really grateful if I could get the opinions of you guys before I decide.

I need something that

Has a good, sweet and traditional tone.
Isn't too breathy.
Is easy to play and doesn't take too much blowing.
Has good tuning.
Isn't too loud - it will be for recording so less loud is better.

So far I have been recommended

Dixon Aluminium high D
Dixon Trad D Nickel

Freeman Tweaked Sweetone
Freeman Tweaked Generation
Freeman Tweaked Mellow Dog

I would be very grateful to hear any opinions on any of the above or any other recommendations on whistles that can be easily and sound good recorded. My budget is £50 ish and below. Cheaper is better as this will enable me to get several different keys.

Thanks.
Christophe

Re: Views On Best Whistle For Recording

Post by Christophe »

I think a dixon trad fits exactly your description. But Freeman's whistles are highly regarded as well, so I'd say for 50 £ get a trad plus one of the Freemans you mentioned and enjoy both. You can listen to a brass Dixon trad and a Mellow dog on my soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/christophe17.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Phil, welcome to the neighborhood.

You might want to say something about the style of music, the other instruments with which the whistle will be mixed and whether the tuning is just intonation or more equal temperament. What key(s) is the music arranged for?

Has a good, sweet and traditional tone. - Have an example that fits that definition? Good, sweet and traditional are all subjective and somewhat relative terms. Most any decent whistle can meet that description in the hands of the right player.

Isn't too breathy. - Mic selection and positioning has a lot to do with that one.

Is easy to play and doesn't take too much blowing. - I'd leave that up to the player playing the parts. Who's the player?

Has good tuning. - Again, what are the other instruments? How are they tuned?

Isn't too loud - it will be for recording so less loud is better. - Again, leave that up to the player. Whistles can have a broad dynamic range from low notes to the upper notes. Let the whistle and the player do what they do best. Recording technique can tame any whistle. No different than a strong vocalist. A good compressor is customary for me when recording whistles.

And lastly. Are you looking to buy a whistle or for a whistle player? Most any decent whistle will meet your needs but in the end it has to be played. You won't necessarily be getting the "good, sweet" sound you want from a rank beginner in the driver's seat. Much of the tone we hear in good recordings comes from the player's experience and not the whistle they are playing. And when you go for a whistler, they usually come with a large bag full of whistles already paid for that play in most any key, sound and style you can call for. Just sayin'.

Best of luck with your project. Keep us posted on your progress, please.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
hoopy mike
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by hoopy mike »

I've been recording with Dixon trad whistles in various keys, plus a Gen Bb and a homemade low F. I agree that it's more about the whistler than the whistles. If you're new to the whistle and want a quick fix for the recording, then I'd spend the £50 on paying someone to whistle.
Phil Foster

Post by Phil Foster »

Thanks Christophe.

Thanks guys, but I'm really after your recommendations. I know the end result will depend on the whistler (me) but all whistles have different characteristics. Whistles are always described or reviewed (including here in the Chiff & Fipple guides) using words such as - sweet, breathy, not breathy, loud, not loud, traditional, pure, has good tuning, doesn't have good tuning, easy to play etc etc. So I specifically used terminology that is commonly used in reviews and descriptions on all levels.

So I would still really appreciate your recommendations so that I can get a good idea of what you guys think. This will help me to decide which few whistles I can then order to find the whistle that suits me. I am living in Spain at present so it is impossible for me to go down to my local music store and try a few out. Thanks guys.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Fair enough. Then I'd suggest getting a set of Generations - Eb, D, C and Bb. That will give you good whistle coverage for the keys of Eb, Ab, D, G, C, F, and Bb - and others if you want to stretch things with alternate fingerings. Then get about the business of learning to play good and sweet. Best of Luck with your projects.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Phil Foster

Post by Phil Foster »

Brilliant thanks Feadoggie. Exactly the kind of confident recommendation I need. :wink: Thanks.
bogman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by bogman »

Don't quite understand. You say you're new to the world of whistles but are going to be the one playing for a recording. Do you already play a similar instrument like flute or recorder? If not I'm afraid you'll be playing a good while before any whistle sounds good on a recording. Even if you do play another similar instrument the whistle is not just a toy anyone can pick up and expect to sound decent. But to answer the question personally I think the tweeked Freeman is pretty good for a cheap whistle.
Byll
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

In your price range - and within your desired parameters, we have had much successful studio work using some of the afore-mentioned instruments, and also those by Mack Hoover, Ian Turnbull (Impempe), and Mike Burke. I have seen older used Burke high d whistles for sale for around your 50 pound level. Feadoggie has good points, as always. I find that the quality of the player, the mic selection and placement, and the choice of effects has more of an overall influence on the outcome than does the brand of the whistle.

Best.
Byll
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
Phil Foster

Post by Phil Foster »

Yes when I was younger I played whistles for years. I've recently picked one up again for the first time in around 25 years. It seems I haven't lost the technique just all the knowledge that goes with them. I had an issue a while ago that caused me to lose most of my long term memory, however oddly any technique I learnt when I was younger has stuck with me such as instruments I learned or riding a bike etc. I'm a musician too and luckily have no problem picking up most instruments and being able to get a tune out of them. I don't expect to be able to play like a pro in a few weeks, but I'd like to make sure that any whistle I buy at least has the potential to sound as I'd like it to sound in recordings. I'm a songwriter and producer and currently recording my own album, where I play all instruments so on a few of the tracks I have purposely written whistle parts for myself to play (nothing complex just simple melodies) - as a nod to my youth. I hope that explains where I'm coming from a little clearer. Thanks.
highland-piper

Post by highland-piper »

Phil Foster wrote:
Has a good, sweet and traditional tone.
Isn't too breathy.
Is easy to play and doesn't take too much blowing.
Has good tuning.
Isn't too loud - it will be for recording so less loud is better.
That sounds like a description of the Mellow Dog.

For a little extra you can get one with a C body as well, so you'll have more keys available to play in.