Cracked Fipple issues on Freeman whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
aghaller
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Cracked Fipple issues on Freeman whistles

Post by aghaller »

Hi All,

Just want to say firstly, what a great resource this site is. I'm new to the whole game, though I've been into folk and Irish music for sometime, come from a guitar/ percussion background. Something about the tin whistle though. There's magic in it.

I ordered a Freeman tweaked Mellow Dog in D from the Whistle Shop, and couldn't wait so I went to a local folk shop to pick up something else so I could get going. Lo and behold, they sold Freeman's there, but literally every whistle they had had a cracked Fipple, some worse than others. I didn't realize till I got home, returned it, and bought an Oak in D. They took them all off the shelf. I thought it might have been something with the store's selection, but mine arrived by mail today, and same thing. The crack hasn't gone all the way down from the sound hole, but it's on its way.

Is this a normal side-effect of "tweaking" on all the Freeman whistles? I noticed some of them have thread wrapping.... Or is this a defect, a returnable one, a (worthwhile) quick fix? And if so, what's the best way?

Does this adversely affect the sound? I'm such newbie, I can't tell, but I'm not approaching the whistle with a gear-head mentality. I'm after the challenge, the simplicity, and never-ending complexity. I'm not above electrical tape, I just want to know I'm learning on a decent, reliable instrument.

Thanks in advance.

Adam
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Re: Cracked Fipple issues on Freeman whistles

Post by Sirchronique »

I have blackbirds in C, D, and Eb, and I have a bluebird in D. None of them are cracked. I did get them quite some time ago, though. Maybe around 2 years ago, I'm not sure. Unless something has changed, no, it isn't such a common thing that they should all be that way.

However, I have noticed plastic-headed whistles have a tendency towards cracking in general. I see a lot of pictures people took of their old generations with something wrapped around where the head connects to the body.

I am not sure exactly what you are describing, but that area where the body plugs into the head often cracks on plastic whistles, I believe. However, I have all keys of generations, 2 of the Bb gens, a feadog, and those 4 freemans. The only one of any of those whistles that developed a crack was the brass generation Bb (non-tweaked), and that whistle was left in my car during blizzards, heat waves, etc. It has stayed in my car for at least a year without ever leaving, probably had stuff put on top of it frequently, fell on the floor lots when coming to abrupt stops, etc. That likely contributed. I fixed it with electrical tape wrapped around that area, and it works fine!

So, I think perhaps it might be more of an issue with plastic headed whistles in general, rather than specifically freemans. However, at least in my experience, it isn't so common that they should all be that way. That seems rather strange. Has the weather there been extreme lately? Maybe that caused it. Maybe the store possibly had tons of freemans, and the cracked ones simply weren't bought, so that was all that was remaining.

Welcome to the forum, by the way! :D
maki

Post by maki »

Hey Adam,
Both the Whistle Shop and Jerry Freeman are good folks to deal with.
I believe that if you're not happy and contact them, they will make it right.
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Haven't experienced anything like that on any of my Freeman-tweaked whistles and from all of his whistles I've seen, Jerry's certainly fit the "decent, reliable instrument" category. I often recommend them to beginners just because they have been individually examined and tweaked rather than coming out of a factory production run.

Jerry should be along soon and can speak to the issue himself and, as Maki says, always stands behind his product and is easy to work with.

Might be helpful to have a better description as to the location and orientation of the crack.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Ted
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ted »

Some come with string wrapped around the bottom of the head for reinforcement. This does not affect how the whistle works. A cracked head should be wrapped to reinforce it. Cracks occur with that design of head. Jerry will make it right. I have two of his whistles with string wraps. They are fine with me. I have a 40 year old Generation with a wrapped head too. The whistle shop should return the whistles to be wrapped if the cracks happened after delivery.
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

I recently got a tweaked C from Jerry and asked him about the wrapping. He told me he cracks them on purpose (I think he said he does it with acetone) and then wraps and epoxies the threads. This allows tuning. Not sure about "unwrapped" ones, though. He's a regular here so maybe you'll get a definitive answer.

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

I have several whistle brands with the plastic heads, many of them are Freemans, while none of them are cracked, split, nor wrapped.

Perhaps somebody is shoving the plastic heads on too hard or twisting them on and off too rough, you know... tuning them up a bit. :boggle: :devil:

I'm sure the whistle wizards will make this right. :thumbsup:

And welcome to the forum. :)
PhilO
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by PhilO »

I have about 30 plastic head whistles, including 3 Freemans and have gifted another 2 Freemans and not a crack in the bunch. I'm funny about cracks; when I get a whistle that's new (to me) I do mind taping it or whatever and like it to be in sound (no pun intended) condition, period.
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
kokopelli

Post by kokopelli »

Hi Adam.
Can you tell us what styles and keys of whistles you have? As mentioned by others, Jerry does purposefully crack some of his whistle heads in order to get them off. Those ones get the wrapping, which makes it just as strong as ever and are supposed to be that way. I know for sure the tweaked Generation C is one of those and I believe there is one other key of tweaked Generation that also gets the treatment, if not more. Whistle heads without the wrapping should have no cracks in them.

It would also help if you could post some pictures of the cracks so we can see if they're the type you'd expect (which are perfectly stable) or something that may have happened somewhere between Jerry and you. Either way, I'm sure you'll get this figured out and end up with something you're happy with. Every whistle maker (and tweaker) I've met has been a wonder person who will stand behind their work and go out of the way to set things right.

Welcome to the forum and enjoy the instrument.

Edit: For reference, here's my tweaked Generation C with the crack and wrapping visible. This is how it's supposed to be and I've had no problems in the few years I've owned it. I don't play it as often as my tweaked D but it gets a fair share of playing and holds up well.
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/824/99z0.jpg/
Check out the story I'm writing
http://theinventorsguild.blogspot.com/
Poppi

Post by Poppi »

I recently purchased a Bluebird from The Whistle Shop and the fipple was cracked in the front. I sent it back and received another one. There was a smaller crack in the front but not too significant, so I kept the whistle and used electrical tape in hopes of preventing the crack from getting bigger.

Poppi
Cayden
Tell us something.: I play high and low whistle with Traditional Irish Music being my focus of interest. I love Irish music and consider it as a direct connection to my Irish heritage. I enjoy participation in whistle tours, chatting with other players, and learning much from the many talented folks that frequent C & F.

Post by Cayden »

Hello Adam,
Welcome to the forum, good bunch here. As many have stated Jerry Freeman is a great guy and stands firm behind his products. I own several of his tweaked whistles and none have developed cracks in the plastic fipple heads. I do own a Feadog (my first whistle that I bought whilenin Ireland) and that developed a crack. I don't live very far from Jerry and while Inwas visiting him to purchase some of his tweaked whistles, he was kind enough to repair my Feadog for me (better than when new).

I would not hesitate to purchase nor recommend any of Jerry Freeman's fine tweaks. I often advise those seeking a reasonable priced introductory whistle for those seeking to give it a whirl, to seriously consider Freeman Whistles as a good choice.

Cheers Mate,
Cayden
"TEAM TRAD" Pro Staff
Official Life Member of DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY
"Joanie Madden, Mary Bergin, and Andrea Corr, each a Whistle Goddess in her own right"!
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

I will need to know what store you're talking about.

Also, it's odd that someone would find cracks on EVERY whistle. I would need to see all those whistles to determine if the joining line that's present along the top of every whistlehead (where the molten plastic meets at the opposite side from where it enters the mold and flows together during the molding process) is being misinterpreted as a crack. I'm a little concerned to know what's really going on here.

Generation whistleheads are prone to cracking. This is not a fault of the tweaking process, it's just a fact of life. Whenever anyone reports a cracked tweaked Generation whistlehead, I will repair it, rather than replace it, because a new, replacement Generation whistlehead is still just as prone to cracking. One that I've properly reinforced will be stronger than any new whistlehead.

Sadly, many legendary Irish musicians have discarded their old, cherished Generation whistles after they eventually cracked. A Freeman tweaked whistlehead that I've reinforced will not crack in a hundred years.

In the last few months, I've encountered a few cracked Blackbird and Mellow Dog whistleheads. These are Feadog whistleheads that I've reconfigured for the Blackbird and Mellow Dog voicings. It's been my experience that Feadog whistleheads almost never crack. That suggests that a batch of them was run at the factory with the mold temperature slightly too cool, and the joining line was not as strong as it should have been.

In any case, I will always service any whistle of mine, no matter how old or where it was purchased. If anyone has cracked Freeman whistleheads that need taking care of, please let me know.

Best wishes,
Jerry
You can purchase my whistles on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/freemanwhistle ... pg=&_from=

or directly from me:

email jerry ("at") freemanwhistles ("dot") com or send a PM.
ecohawk

Post by ecohawk »

Well, I'm another who has dealt with Jerry for years and can state without reservation that he stands behind his instruments.

If you want to take a crack (pun intended) at a solid self-repair, you might take the preventative steps I do with all plastic headed instruments as soon as I get them home.

I take either filament packaging tape or nylon/fluorocarbon fishing line (whip finish the fishing line) and wrap a single layer about 1/4" - 3/8" wide around the head where it slips over the tube, then I use two applications of clear fingernail polish over the top of that to seal it. I think Jerry does something similar with the Gen C right from the start if you want an example. I've never had a problem with cracking.

If you'd like a visual of this - pm me. It's pretty easy, unobtrusive and permanent.

ecohawk
"Never get one of those cheap tin whistles. It leads to much harder drugs like pipes and flutes." - anon
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

http://www.ropeworks.biz/reader/whipping.pdf

I use method 2 in the instructions linked to above, then I lacquer the binding with clear fingernail polish. I've found that some thread will fuzz when you lacquer it. At WalMart, you can buy Coats & Clark 100% polyester "outdoor UV protected" thread, which will not fuzz. This comes on 200 yd. cones, not spools.

Best wishes,
Jerry
You can purchase my whistles on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/freemanwhistle ... pg=&_from=

or directly from me:

email jerry ("at") freemanwhistles ("dot") com or send a PM.
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

I've found that many plastic heads will develop cracks as they're twisted to be made tunable, that goes for stock whistles and tweaked whistles. I just tape it up and forget about it. I think the tape adds character. :)