Roll bags/cases

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Mikethebook
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: May 2022, I'm a second-time beginner to the whistle and low whistle after a three-year gap due to a chest injury brought to an end twelve years of playing. I've started on a high whistle and much is coming back quickly but it will be a while before I can manage a Low D again where my interest really lies. I chiefly love slow airs rather than dance tunes and am a fan of the likes of Davy Spillane, Eoin Duignan, Fred Morrison and Paddy Keenan.

Roll bags/cases

Post by Mikethebook »

I'm in the market for a roll case/bag for low and high whistles. Has anyone had experience of MKs roll case? It's not inexpensive but it looks nice and the materials used sound highly protective. Colin Goldie's case is much cheaper but like anything coming from him I would expect it to be of high quality. Is it actually a roll case? Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
Rich_N_

Re: Roll bags/cases

Post by Rich_N_ »

I shouldn't really comment - but I'm in the market for one of these and I've chosen the MK Roll bag, going to order one as soon as they come into stock. The Goldie bag isn't a roll, it's more of a case - look at the pic on his website and you'll see that it folds and there is a central divider.

I don't have many whistles, so the MK is the obvious choice, if I'd got more then I think I'd go for the Goldie as it has a higher capacity (and it's cheaper).

Rich
D Flute - Millyard & Molem African Blackwood
F Flute - M&E Polymer
Eb FLute - M&E Polymer
Low Bb - Giles Lehart (African Blackwood)
High Eb, D, A, G, F and Low D whistles - the wonderful Colin Goldie
High Bb and a high D - Chieftain.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

This was made for me by Karen Lewis. I love it! Holds from Low C up to the itsy bitsy Gens. She's on etsy?? I don't know what the actual spelling is. Or I can get you her contact info if you want.

Richard
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
BigDavy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BigDavy »

Hi Mike

Why don't you look at a padded drum stick case.

This one holds 2 low C, 2 low D, Low Eb, Low E, 2 Low Fs an alto G and alto A as well as the Ormiston D. (picture was taken before I got the second F, and those whistles with cases/bags taken out of their cases/bags)

David
Last edited by BigDavy on Fri May 31, 2013 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
Mikethebook
Tell us something.: May 2022, I'm a second-time beginner to the whistle and low whistle after a three-year gap due to a chest injury brought to an end twelve years of playing. I've started on a high whistle and much is coming back quickly but it will be a while before I can manage a Low D again where my interest really lies. I chiefly love slow airs rather than dance tunes and am a fan of the likes of Davy Spillane, Eoin Duignan, Fred Morrison and Paddy Keenan.

Post by Mikethebook »

Hi Davis,

Where did you find such an item? I wouldn't know where to start looking.

Mike
BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

Hi Mike

I saw the bag on ebay, and bought it for a laugh.

This is the bag in question.

David
Mikethebook

Post by Mikethebook »

Thanks David.
BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

I had a look on ebay and found Rosetti stick bag It looks to be similar to mine, without the snakeskin effect.

David
Mikethebook

Post by Mikethebook »

I've been checking out eBay and there's a lot of choices and at reasonable prices. I may investigate Rosetti's website further before I make a decision but thanks for the heads up. It's certainly a possibility.
sherriev

Post by sherriev »

I'm having a case made by someone on Etsy. I'll try to post back photos when it is done, but it is this store: http://www.etsy.com/people/HeritageMusic

I told her what I wanted, and she gave me a quote and is building it. Not terribly cheap, but also exactly what I was looking for. :)
Mikethebook

Post by Mikethebook »

What was her quote out of interest?
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

sherriev wrote:I'm having a case made by someone on Etsy. I'll try to post back photos when it is done, but it is this store: http://www.etsy.com/people/HeritageMusic
Heritage music has a website and an eBay store. They sell whistles too.

Etsy has a few other bag makers. Here one I've noticed. http://www.tipperwrappers.com/whistle-w ... sc_0198-2/

Drum stick bags may be the best bang for the buck in a store bought bag. I have several. One, made by Ritter, is very well padded and I've carried more than 50 whistles in it at one time from Eb down to low C's. It cost less than $20 retail a few years back.

If you know someone with a sewing machine it is a very straightforward effort to make a roll bag from a bath towel (or a piece of polyester fleece). Just fold in thirds, or thereabout, sew the edges for the inner two folds, sew a few lines for pockets, sew a few ribbons to one edge, roll it up and tie it. Voila.

It is hard to beat a custom bag though. I favor Kate Lozier's TuffBaggs. I have several of those. Unfortunately they are no longer being offered. Sassafras whistle bags are the absolute bomb.

http://www.angelfire.com/mo/sassafrassg ... leRoll.jpg

Even the Queen has one. I don't think they are available at present either.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
tomcat
Tell us something.: Used to live in Gilbert, AZ which is a suburb of Phoenix. Recently moved to Portland OR. Argh. Not sure if this is meeting the requirement of number of characters, but I'm trying.

Post by tomcat »

i found a used violin case second hand. i think i paid $2 for it. comes complete w shoulder strap. i then gutted it so it would allow whistles down to low c to fit. i then made a trip to a local hardware store and bought some foam tubes used for insulating pipe. cut them to the right length.....nuff said. perhaps i have $10 in it.....

the violin case is a little more bulky than a roll up bag but as it is hard-sided, it does add more protection.
Mikethebook

Post by Mikethebook »

A violin case is an interesting thought if I were to come across one. Thanks for the ideas Feadoggie. I'll check them out. I gather from Kate Lozier that she is planning to come up with another bag (maybe not a roll model) within the next few months so I might keep an eye on her blog.
bogman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by bogman »

I've used the one that Colin Goldie sells for about the last 10 years. It's been through a great deal but is still in good condition and has protected my whistle well. A bargain at the price! http://www.colingoldie.de/accessories.html