Cuts VS. Taps and when you use them (and Double taps)

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
AngelicBeaver
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistles since 2010. I love how varied whistles are in their design, construction, tone, and handling. Though I've largely settled on what I enjoy playing, I'm still a sucker for an interesting new design.

Cuts VS. Taps and when you use them (and Double taps)

Post by AngelicBeaver »

I typically use cuts to emphasize notes and taps when I do rolls. I came to the tap quite late in the game, only discovering them when I finally figured out the roll. Do you use taps instead of cuts in certain situations, and why?

I was wondering in particular about Cooley's Reel, which starts out D E B B A B E... I normally cut in between the two B's, but I was wondering if a tap would be better. I still can't get the cut on the B as crisp as I want it, so this may be why I'm dissatisfied. When you are as fast as you should be, is there a difference in sound between the tap and the cut where you would use them in different circumstances or is it just whatever is convenient?

And now about double taps: When do you use these? I've listened and watched a lot of videos and I see double taps used as people go down the scale, so I've been trying to practice them that way (double tapping on the B hole and the E holes).

When someone like Mike McGoldrick is going really fast on a piece and it sounds... bubbly, I guess, is he just using well timed cuts, taps, rolls, double taps, and cranns, or is there some additional ornamentation that I'm missing? It seems like on a lot of these tunes, the notes seldom "rest". They just roll around. My ornamentation kind of stands alone. Are good players just connecting a lot of ornaments together? Like here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAvIOvU_EKI
Last edited by AngelicBeaver on Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nathaniel James Dowell
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Re: Cuts VS. Taps and when you use them (and Double taps)

Post by colomon »

There is only a tiny difference in sound between a cut and a tap, and I would expect people to do whichever is convenient.

At that particular spot in Cooley's, I would normally do a cut between the Bs. That means the you're doing something with the B finger first and then the A finger an eighth note later, spreading the work across the fingers much like in a roll. But that's purely a personal preference -- if you can make your notes sound crisp when you're playing them, no one really cares how you did it.

Have you seen http://www.rogermillington.com/tunetoc/index.html ?
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

I was about to say the same thing as colomon.

But I do remember that Bloomfield (who hasn't posted in a long time, hint hint) used to recommend cuts be used instead of taps on "strong beats":

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=72676&p=939688#p939688
Infernaltootler

Post by Infernaltootler »

I'm only guessing but the bubbly sound you are hearing is something pipers do.

Basically, as your finger comes down on the hole, it briefly flutters, making the sound 'bubble'. This is skill that takes a long time to master and one I've been attempting for months. I spend some time each day running down the scale attempting to bubble each note and it's coming, slowly. Sounds nice, though, in tunes.
Finally feel like I'm getting somewhere. It's only taken 6 years.
mahanpots
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mahanpots »

Here's a video of a tune using taps to separate notes. To me, it's obvious how the taps sound different than cuts in this example.

http://www.oaim.ie/free-lessons/185
Olwell Pratten.
Paddy Cronin's Jig
Limestone Rock, Silver Spear
Blasting, billowing, bursting forth with the power of 10 billion butterfly sneezes
Mr Ed
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Mr Ed »

I use cuts when wanting the note to have more of a snap,
taps are when going for more of a bounce or smoother accent, and both when wanting a bouncy snap or a snappy bounce. :D

(That was probably as clear as mud. LOL)
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I might use either a cut or a pat in several situations. It does make for a different effect, even though the duration of the gracenote is short.

It sometimes sounds really nice, and unexpected, to put a pat on the beat where one might expect a cut.

It brings to mind something that a great fiddler told us at a workshop: that when he was doing gigs with Kevin Burke he was struck by the way that Burke at certain time would use a gracenote to articulate between two notes while keeping the bow going the same direction rather than changing the bow direction.

On the whistle I'll sort of do that by continuing to "blow through" a phrase using a pat to articulate the note that occurs on the next strong beat.

About double pats, it's a real pipers' thing to do "double pat rolls" like Paddy Keenan in the The Kesh Jig where he begins the tune

(cut)G(pat)G(pat)G

rather than an ordinary roll

G(cut)G(pat)G
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Jleo Fipple

Post by Jleo Fipple »

Good topic, thanks for the links and discussion.
AngelicBeaver
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistles since 2010. I love how varied whistles are in their design, construction, tone, and handling. Though I've largely settled on what I enjoy playing, I'm still a sucker for an interesting new design.

Post by AngelicBeaver »

Thanks for the "Double Pat Rolls" tip. I'm very excited because it has helped my identify and replicate a sound I was hearing in the tune "Annam Cara" on Michael McGoldrick's album, "Aurora". On a D whistle, the tune starts A B Cnat E G with a double pat roll on the G. He may be using an F whistle on this one. Slowing it down, I can hear the cut and then the two taps (or pats). Before, I was doing a straight roll, and it was close, but not the same. This ornamentation seems a bit more forceful, like you're spitting it out rather than rolling it. I think I've heard this same thing at the end of a downward run. It's always seemed as though the notes were kind of bouncing to a stop, but I couldn't quite get the same sound when I tried. I feel as though another "Great Ornamentation Mystery" has been unlocked for me.
Nathaniel James Dowell
StevieJ
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

pancelticpiper wrote:It brings to mind something that a great fiddler told us at a workshop: that when he was doing gigs with Kevin Burke he was struck by the way that Burke at certain time would use a gracenote to articulate between two notes while keeping the bow going the same direction rather than changing the bow direction.
This makes it sound as though Kevin Burke was doing something unusual, but actually it is very basic Irish fiddle technique - as the equivalent practice is on whistle I would have thought.
emmdee

Post by emmdee »

I'm reminded of the old joke - "don't bother to spell it; just write it down".

Play what feels right, but don't put the same ornamentation into the same tune every time you play it. Interpretation and variation are important in establishing your playing style.

m.d.