Women of Ireland

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
walrii
antispam: No

Women of Ireland

Post by walrii »

Neanderthal that I am, I just got round to watching "Robin Hood" the Scott Ridley version and was entranced again by "Women of Ireland" in the bonfire scene (having been entranced once before by Joannie Madden's version). I searched the net and found all sorts of versions in various meters and keys, most of them playable and some of them quite pretty. So which one is the version Riada wrote? There seem to be a number of variations with his name attached.
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Women of Ireland

Post by MTGuru »

I guess the (vocal) setting on Ó Riada's own recording "Sa Gaiety" is authoritative. But the Chieftains' version could also be considered definitive. After all, it was essentially The Chieftains performing on Ó Riada's recording.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueaQvjddEkI
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Cayden
Tell us something.: I play high and low whistle with Traditional Irish Music being my focus of interest. I love Irish music and consider it as a direct connection to my Irish heritage. I enjoy participation in whistle tours, chatting with other players, and learning much from the many talented folks that frequent C & F.

Post by Cayden »

Surely among the most beautiful on earth! :D Huh? Oh ya, the music, lost my trend of thought for a moment. :lol:

Anyhow, much admiration for the Daughters of Eireann!

Cheers,
Cayden
"TEAM TRAD" Pro Staff
Official Life Member of DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY
"Joanie Madden, Mary Bergin, and Andrea Corr, each a Whistle Goddess in her own right"!
ecohawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by ecohawk »

Grab yourself an A (preferably) or D whistle and play along with Sharon Corr. Grown men will cry, women will swoon and children will suddenly be quiet. I doubt it's completely faithful to the original but it is damn close and is the most beautiful version I know of.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLpapasDBbs

Of course, it isn't Andrea on the back of a motorcycle but....(inside joke)

ecohawk
Last edited by ecohawk on Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Never get one of those cheap tin whistles. It leads to much harder drugs like pipes and flutes." - anon
Mr Ed
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Mr Ed »

Thanks for posting that link, Ecohawk. It was quickly added to my favorites. :thumbsup:
firnatine

Post by firnatine »

This is a modern twist by Bob James on this classic https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X08_wH8GsY . The first time I heard this tune I immediately went out and bought the album (vinyl) just for this one track. Never thought many years later I would be playing it. :thumbsup:

Frank
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

firnatine wrote:This is a modern twist by Bob James on this classic https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X08_wH8GsY . The first time I heard this tune I immediately went out and bought the album (vinyl) just for this one track. Never thought many years later I would be playing it. :thumbsup: Frank
I had not heard that version. Interesting. And it is interesting that you would comment on it being a "modern twist on this classic". While the inspiration for the piece is old, O'Riada's music is a product of the late sixties and Bob James recorded it six maybe seven years or so after it was first heard and a mere three years after the Cheiftains recorded it.

And (I am gobsmacked) that was Philadelphia's own Grover Washington Jr. on whistle. I knew he liked Coltrane but I had no idea that he picked up the whistle from him. Now what kind of whistle would he be playing in 1976?

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
firnatine

Post by firnatine »

At my age anything from my youth I consider "classic". :D I as well, had no Idea that was Grover Washington on the whistle.
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

But is it Trad?
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Bob James recorded it six maybe seven years or so after it was first heard and a mere three years after the Cheiftains recorded it.
Not unlikely he picked it up from the Stanley Kubrick movie. Barry Lyndon was all the rage in 1975.
My brain hurts

a.proszynski
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by a.proszynski »

My favourite version - Cormac Breatnach with Deiseal:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3oLEmaF ... re=related
Inner Light

Post by Inner Light »

AWESOME SONG! Thanx for posting!

That's the kinda music I like on whistles. Slow, dreamy ballad. Gorgeous! :thumbsup:
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

It's a strange melody which sort of dances around between modes with strong unsuspected cadences to G Major. And the phrases seem too short. But it's lovely nonetheless.

I play it all the time (learned off the old Chieftans album) especially when playing at an Irish Wedding: I play it for the seating of the mothers, though the significance is probably lost on 99% of the people in attendance.

Likewise I play Roisin Dubh for the laying of the flowers. I guess I like the music to sort of match what's happening, even if nobody "gets it".
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle