So, what does your screen name mean?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
McHaffie
antispam: No

Hmmmmmmmmm

Post by McHaffie »

Well, hmmmmm......... yeah well ok, it's my last name! :D

I guess all there is to my screen name would be the lineage...

McHaffie is one of the many Ellis Island mix up versions of MacGuffy or McGuffy and MacPhie or MacFee

MacPhie is the original name my family dates back to. We set foot on Colonsay Island off the shores of Scotland, and that's as far back as the name goes. That's it.

MacPhie means 'Son of the Dark Faerie" (which is supposedly a figure of protection and strength. I don't know all of the cool stuff yet. My cousin is the research guru of my family! :D )

So that's all there is to any niftiness to my screen name I guess.

Take care all
John
"Remember... No matter where you go... there you are..."
-Buckaroo Banzai
Rockymtnpiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Rockymtnpiper »

Mine is pretty obvious I think, I am mostly a Piper (GHB) but I have taken up whistle in the last year. Well sort of, Its not so much a whistle as it is "the thing that should not be". IT looks a bit unlike any whistle, as its adapted/modified to fit a Pipers hands, fingering and intonation. In addition to attempting to make whistles (the fipple is giving me the most fits at the moment), bagpipe stuff parts pieces etc.. I also do a bit of sewing... as can be seen on my avatar.
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

Isilwen wrote:Well, my first username was The Whistling Elf; my RL nickname (Elf- came about from my inherited birthmark of a pointed ear- Darwin's Tubercile for those in the know... [my other ear is sort of pointy too, although no tubercile]), and since I was learning the whistle at the time, thus Whistling.
Isilwen,
I have the pointed ears too! The right is more pointy that the left. They were very noticeable when I was young but now that I am over 50 they have relaxed a bit.

My screen name comes from my grandparents. Maternal grandmother's family name was Byrne. Paternal grandfather's was also Byrne but he changed it to Burns after he emmigrated, I don't know why. Don't worry, I'm not inbred, my grandmother's Byrnes arrived in Ontario from Sligo in mid 1800s. Grandfater came from Dublin in 1910s.
Mike
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Hey, I just realized that my nick looks kinda Elvish...

...but I am told that Elvish hash left th' building. Pour me up anudder one, hey?
Isilwen

Post by Isilwen »

burnsbyrne wrote:
Isilwen wrote:Well, my first username was The Whistling Elf; my RL nickname (Elf- came about from my inherited birthmark of a pointed ear- Darwin's Tubercile for those in the know... [my other ear is sort of pointy too, although no tubercile]), and since I was learning the whistle at the time, thus Whistling.
Isilwen,
I have the pointed ears too! The right is more pointy that the left. They were very noticeable when I was young but now that I am over 50 they have relaxed a bit.
Very neat! I don't see many people with them though. Big ones, I mean. Mine are quite noticeable, even though no one ususally says anything... lol Boy I used to get teased when I was younger!
Light spills into the hidden valley,
Illuminating the falls, paths, and
The breathtaking Elvish dwelling
Set back among great trees.
Lilting strains of Elven songs fill my heart;
I am finally home.
~Isilwen Elanessë
HDSarah

portraits of elves

Post by HDSarah »

You pointy-eared elven folk might enjoy some of the portraits that a friend of mine has drawn. Lately he seems to see women as elven princesses:
http://www.angelfire.com/ak4/bowl/portrait2.html
There are a few more elven princesses on this page of his portraits, along with more ordinary humans (like me):
http://www.angelfire.com/ak4/bowl/portrait.html

Sarah
ICE JAM: "dam" good music that won't leave you cold. Check out our CD at http://cdbaby.com/cd/icejam
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Yes, Sarah.

But does the Force cure warts?
http://www.duckproducts.com/graphics/warts.pdf
thurlowe

Post by thurlowe »

Sarah,

Your portrait and the others were lovely. I feel like I know people just like the ones he captured in pencil here in Michigan, even though he's working in Alaska, apparently! What a nice crowd to hang around. Thanks for sharing.

Cara :)
Isilwen

Post by Isilwen »

Wow, the artist's shading techniques are very well-done! However, the pointy ears are... quite a bit different from what I imagined... (lol probably b/c I see mine every day in the mirror!) But, the portraits are lovely! Very nice perspective and all. Tell him to keep up the good work. :)
Light spills into the hidden valley,
Illuminating the falls, paths, and
The breathtaking Elvish dwelling
Set back among great trees.
Lilting strains of Elven songs fill my heart;
I am finally home.
~Isilwen Elanessë
Bagfed

Re: Hmmmmmmmmm

Post by Bagfed »

McHaffie wrote: MacPhie means 'Son of the Dark Faerie"
I'm not touching that.

Rattray means"All the good names are taken" :P
Life is good. Hard, but good.
Turner

Post by Turner »

I am another creative person :D

Turner, my surname

As in Dale Turner :D
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Mine is bad. I needed a music oriented email account for music oriented emails. It came to mind but is really unimaginagitve and doesn't begin to do justice to my usually quit, wry wit.

I would change it but then my post count would go down and I'd be delegated back to newbie land.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
aderyn_du

Post by aderyn_du »

geek4music wrote:
I would change it but then my post count would go down and I'd be delegated back to newbie land.
If you write or PM Rich, our wondrous moderator, he can change it for you without affecting your post count. He's done it for me twice now, and for others as well. :)

Best,
Andrea
Music melts all the separate parts of our bodies together. ~Anais Nin
fluter_d

Post by fluter_d »

Well, 'fluter' because I play flute, and 'd' because my name's Deirdre...

Oh, and 'flutered' is also interchangeable with 'slightly drunk' :oops: , which is a state that a lot of musicians end up in at least once in their lives...
fiddling_tenor

Screen name

Post by fiddling_tenor »

Well, I've been playing violin for 35+ years (fiddling for about 2); and I've sung since a child. If a = b, and b = c, then a = c. :lol:
-Tom
"Put": the act of placing something in a specific spot.
"Putt": the vain attempt to do the same thing.