Lung Capacity/ Breathing

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
10Thistle
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Lung Capacity/ Breathing

Post by 10Thistle »

Mikethebook wrote:I have a device called Ultrabreathe (http://www.ultrabreathe.com/) which may replace the first exercise. Basically it creates a graduated resistance to breathing in as heavier books would do but so far I've only used it breathing in with the chest not the diaphram. I may now return to it and use it with the diaphram and see how it works.
MtB, I took a look at the Ultrabreathe and my thoughts are based on what I can glean from the web site. Its focus is on giving resistance at the "gateway" but you still need to build diaphragm awareness and the Trill Book on Belly does that so I would use it at least some of the time in tandem...I wouldn't call it a replacer for the BoB but an enhancer. An athlete trains with resistance but still needs the "form" body awareness feed-back gives and that is what the book helps.
Mikethebook
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: May 2022, I'm a second-time beginner to the whistle and low whistle after a three-year gap due to a chest injury brought to an end twelve years of playing. I've started on a high whistle and much is coming back quickly but it will be a while before I can manage a Low D again where my interest really lies. I chiefly love slow airs rather than dance tunes and am a fan of the likes of Davy Spillane, Eoin Duignan, Fred Morrison and Paddy Keenan.

Post by Mikethebook »

Chas, thanks for that encouraging piece of advice. And 10Thistle, yours also. Is there any reason why:
1. I couldn't do the book exercise lying on the bed.
2. I couldn't use Ultrabreathe while monitoring my stomach with one hand? Or do you think they should be done separately?
10Thistle

Post by 10Thistle »

Mikethebook wrote:Chas, thanks for that encouraging piece of advice. And 10Thistle, yours also. Is there any reason why:
1. I couldn't do the book exercise lying on the bed.
2. I couldn't use Ultrabreathe while monitoring my stomach with one hand? Or do you think they should be done separately?
1. Firmer gives better feed-back as breathing is a whole body thing. Pretty much every part of you moves when you breathe and a carpeted floor allows you to feel this better. It is as much being aware of what you are doing as what you are doing that helps develop the breathing. You should be comfortable, though. I use what we call in the states furniture pads on a wooden floor. Denser than blankets. Use the bed if need be...do what works for you!

2. Sorry I wasn't clear. I think they could work well together. And I do also tell students to use their hand for feed-back. It can add a layer of sensory complexity, though, as your hand will also be giving you data. In a way the book is more direct. Just the belly feeling the book vs. the belly feeling the hand and the hand feeling the belly...BUT play with it to experience for your self. YMMV!
Mikethebook
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: May 2022, I'm a second-time beginner to the whistle and low whistle after a three-year gap due to a chest injury brought to an end twelve years of playing. I've started on a high whistle and much is coming back quickly but it will be a while before I can manage a Low D again where my interest really lies. I chiefly love slow airs rather than dance tunes and am a fan of the likes of Davy Spillane, Eoin Duignan, Fred Morrison and Paddy Keenan.

Post by Mikethebook »

Great feedback everyone. Thanks! I've started on the exercises and will be training for that triathlon before long :lol: !! Interesting what 10Thistle mentioned about playing with body chemistry. Obviously if I'm using my lungs better then it can only be good for the body but I'll watch out for interesting signs. I've just upped my intake of water for different reasons so my body may be wondering what on earth I'm doing.
Scott McCallister

Post by Scott McCallister »

Here's a link from a while back with some more ideas.
There's and old Irish saying that says pretty much anything you want it to.