Is the pennywhistle your only instrument?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

Is the pennywhistle the only instrument you play?

Yes
16%
No (please elaborate)
84%

Total votes: 99

Switchfoot
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Switchfoot »

Well, I play Drums (full kit) and occasionally attempt to play Bodhran and Bones. Oh yes, the digeridoo is in the mail :-D
After seeing all these wonderful music resumes, I feel rather weak. I shall go hide in my closet and learn at least five more!
serpent

What the serpent plays...

Post by serpent »

Whistle, of course! Then guitar, bodhran (sort of), 5-string banjo, plectrum dulcimer, bouzouki, 12-string lute, and about to begin on concertina.

In another life, I played oboe and English horn, trumpet, cornet, and tympani (!)

My personal preference to play is strumpet, but ain't many around these parts! :D
Cheers,
Serpeiladwr-Billy-Pie :wink: birdie, formerly known as ~*~
Add yourself to the Serpent Newsletter!
Send email to serpent@serpentmusic.com subject "add"
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

Mountain dulcimer

Electronic keyboard

I have a Celtic harp I was starting to learn when I got sick last year and will now need to start over with. Played trombone in high school and junior college many years ago.
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

From age of 5 - present in learning order:
Ukulele (Martin)
Guitar (1938 Gibson AJ)
Piano - Baldwin baby grand (I also tune pianos)
Mandolin (Gibson A2)
Mandola (Gibson H1)
Cello
Bass Fiddle
Tenor Banjo (Lyon & Healy)
Fiddle (Irish) 1930's Jackson-Guldan
Bass Harmonica (Honer)
Tin Whistle
Irish Flute (1840's R&R)
Bouzouki
Uilleann Pipes D/B (McFadden's/Quinn's)
Anglo Concertina - G/D G/C (Jones)
Accordian (piano type)
Mandocello (Gibson K1 - recently acquired)

I know it sounds like an obsession, but my dad was worse than me, and his dad worse than him!
http://www.examiner.com/antiques/defaul ... bson.0806w
Last edited by Lorenzo on Wed Mar 12, 2003 7:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dana

Post by Dana »

Boehm flute (wood and silver)
Piccolo
Piano (badly)
nickt

Post by nickt »

Celtic Harp (wire or gut or nylon strung, 22-34 strings).
Remember not to forget. Now, why am I here?
FJohnSharp
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Piano lessons in grade school
Became a drummer/percussionist
Now the whistle because I wanted to play a melody instrument that wasn't orchestra bells
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

I play the radio...

occasionally...

when there's something good on NPR.
Reasonable person
Walden
PapoAnaya

well...

Post by PapoAnaya »

Hello:

No, I play more than one instrument as well.

In order in which I learned them.

1. Recorder
2. Clarinet
3. Trumpet
4. Cornet
5. Saxophone
6. Harmonica
7. Guitar
9. Puerto Rican Cuatro
9. Tin Whistle
10. 6 hole flute

Luis
lauragayle
Tell us something.: I'm a musician, a music librarian, and grew up with parents who played bluegrass and gospel music. They also played old-time music and didn't know it. I love folk music -- and have tried to learn the tin whistle off and on for a while. Love the jokes here, the transcriptions, the links to tunes. What fun! So much music, so little time. :)

instruments...

Post by lauragayle »

Hi! My susato arrived today... more on that in another thread.

Order of learning:
clarinet
piano (college major)
voice
autoharp (tried to pick it a la Mother Maybelle)
organ
harpsichord
auxillary percussion (for fun in college)
bass clarinet
... and now whistle!

I grew up with my parents playing in Bluegrass Gospel bands, so I was exposed to a lot of fun music growing up!

cheers-
laura
Laura Gayle
jim_mc
Tell us something.: I'm a New York native who gradually slid west and landed in the Phoenix area. I like riding on the back seat of a tandem bicycle. I like dogs and have three of them. I am a sometime actor and an all the time teacher, husband, and dad.

Post by jim_mc »

I play the fife, which is really my primary instrument, and I like to think I'm pretty good at it. I played it before starting on the whistle, which is the opposite of the usual approach. I also play drum, in the ancient rudimental style. I'm also a startlingly adequate singer.

I wouldn't advertise myself as an Irish flute player, but I have one and I give it a go a couple of times a week when I'm alone in the house.

I took piano lessons as a kid, but only learned to read music. In the high school orchestra I played timpani. I've spent an embarassing amount of time fooling around with guitars and basses and have made very little progress at either.

We've got quite a versatile bunch here!
Say it loud: B flat and be proud!
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Well, here we go- in order of learning.........

piano(still my primary instrument)started at 7 yrs old
clarinet (rarely for many years)school and college
oboe(again rarely)same as above(actually in high school I would play odd and various instruments during class, trombone, tuba, tympani, french horn etc. The director said as long as I could play what I needed for performances on either oboe or clarinet I could play whatever I wanted in class, so that was fun! Never could get a sound out of any flute though)
guitar (my Dad taught me as a kid)
mandolin(love this, no bluegrass, old time only, learned as a kid from the old folks at local music makin's )
great highland bagpipes (began at about 35)
whistles(same as GHB)
organ (church organist, began at 45
scottish tenor drum (flourishing mainly, began at 45)
bodhran(began at 47)
shuttlepipes(began at 46)

Music is one of the main forces in my life- it keeps me sane? :boggle: Playing music is one of the great joys of life.
If I could afford them I'd tackel the uilleann pipes, and several more pipe type instruments. Oh, well, I do love my whistles though, they are among my favorites.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
madfifer9

out of practice

Post by madfifer9 »

Oh, boy. I started on recorder around age 10. I don't recall who gave it to me. Played Boehm system flute starting in 6th grade. Was only a mediocre flutist at best. Picked up bassoon and sax in eighth grade, which is when I started playing jazz. Started on oboe in college, and was the only recorder student actually taking lessons. Played oboe and sax in the Navy Band at Pearl Harbor from 1991-1994. Started whistle in 2001 but lost interest quickly, I (foolishly) thought it to be inferior to recorder for chromatic stuff. Started fifing in Sept 2001, and went mad for it. Picked up whistle (again) shortly thereafter, and was struck by the similarities to the fife. Began listening more seriously to Irish music, then was inspired to play Irish flute.

Currently I only play whistle, fife and flute. I feel like they are the instruments I have been waiting my whole life to play! I picked up my recorder the other day, and realized I don't remember how to play it. I used to be crazy for it. I'm out of practice on all my other instruments.

Whistle is SO much nicer to carry around with you. In high school, I went to countless out of town competitions carrying a bassoon and a bari sax!

madfifer9
When whistles are outlawed, only outlaws will have whistles!
madfifer9

Shucks!

Post by madfifer9 »

I wisht I'd read all the posts in this thread before posting. Another fifer comes out of the woodwork, jim mc! There's another one here too, I can't recall who... I like Civil War era (duh). We have some awesome ancient style drummers in our corps. What do you like to play, jim mc?

And Janice and Bretton, I was a bari sax superfreak too! I love that bari grrrowl. Never owned one, cos it's so huge. In high school, I was the smallest sax player playing the biggest sax. I had this big honkin' open bore mouthpiece to balance out the six altos and four tenors (all the saxes wanted to play in the jazz ensemble)! I have an alto but haven't touched it in years.

*sigh* the good ol' days. Oh wait, that's now.

madfifer9
When whistles are outlawed, only outlaws will have whistles!
Sunnywindo

Post by Sunnywindo »

Yes, whistle(s) is(are) my one and only musical instrument(s) right now. But I am hoping to obtain and learn to play guitar here soon.
*very excited*

:) :) :)
'I wish it need not have happend in my time,' said Frodo.
'So do I,' said Gandalf, 'and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.'

-LOTR-