do stringed instruments mess up your fingers for whistling?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Jaime
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Jaime »

I think there are some multi-instrumentalists on the board, so I thought I'd ask for opinions. If you take up a stringed instrument, and start forming lovely calluses on your fingertips, does it interfere with your whistle playing?

It's only a ukulele I want to take up, which is reportedly easier on the fingers than most stringed things, but I would hate for it to make my whistle playing get worse than it already is... :tomato:

Am I paranoid? Any guitarist/whistlers out there have thoughts?
Feadoggie

Re: do stringed instruments mess up your fingers for whistling?

Post by Feadoggie »

Jaime wrote:Am I paranoid? Any guitarist/whistlers out there have thoughts?
Yes, I'd say you have a case of David Crosby Syndrome.

" Well, must be because I had the flu this Christmas
Oh, yeah and I'm not feeling up to par
Oh, I tell you baby this increases my paranoia
Yeah, like looking in my mirror and seeing a police car "

I play whistles and flutes. I also, among others, play ukulele (1930's Martin S-0), mandolin, guitar, banjo, bass, dobro (as well as other lap guitars) and a little fiddle. I've played strings for going on 50 years and whistle/flute for approaching 40 years. The callouses on my fingertips are well developed (the mandolin can be a cruel mistress). I cover the holes on the whistle with the fleshy pads of the first digit of each finger, not the finger tips. There is absolutely no downside to playing both types of instruments and there shouldn't be.

Enjoy the uke. Every home should have at least one. It's one of those inherently happy instruments, as is the whistle.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
jkrazy52
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by jkrazy52 »

Agree with Feadoggie, although I haven't been playing strings or whistles as long. I play mountain dulcimer, whistles and flute. In no way has the dulcimer playing bothered the whistle playing abilities.

Get the ukulele and enjoy the music! :)
kokopelli

Post by kokopelli »

The Ukulele is the only stringed instrument I play, and after about a year I still don't even have any calluses from it. The nylon strings of the uke are much more forgiving than the steel strings of most other stringed instruments. I must admit though, that I don't practice it as much as I probably ought to. That may have something to do with my lack of calluses.
Check out the story I'm writing
http://theinventorsguild.blogspot.com/
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

This would have never crossed my mind. The callouses don't affect my whistle playing, I played guitar first, but they do annoy me. I file them down with an emory board every so often.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

No.

Get the ukulele and enjoy the music!
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Don't worry. I play as much mandolin and tenor banjo as I do whistle and neither suffers. Even if you get callouses, they're at the tips of your fingers, but you finger a whistle with the softer pads anyway. A uke is not likely to produce callouses.
Check out the Chiff and Fipple of Ukedom for instrument recommendations, advice, tunes, lessons, etc:

http://ukuleleunderground.com/
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Classical & Folk Guitar. Yes, I have thoughts. My guitar is improving and I'm improving on the Low D too. BrewerPaul said what I was going to say: you use the second joint of your fingers on the whistle, so callouses don't interfere. If you get callouses on the second joints of your fingers, I'd like to know how.

Don't worry about paranoia. It's a survival trait. Um, so they tell me. :wink:
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Raggle Taggle
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Raggle Taggle »

Taking up a stringed instrument will challenge your whistleling, the least problem being the shape of your fingers. There are only so many practice hours a day. And the cost of a new aqusition syndrome may compromise your early retirement plans. I just dropped $5G on yet another mandolin...they all sound so different...pant,pant...
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

I can't see that playing any kind of stringed instrument would interefere with playing whistle. However, and I know there are folks who disagree with me, I did give up mandolin and guitar years and years ago because the different types of calluses formed from playing them were affecting my fiddle playing. You need, and in fact develop, fairly thick, but flexible, calluses when you play fiddle. Guitar and mandolin give you hard, somewhat rigid calluses and it doesn't quite work for fiddle. IMO. No problem for whistle though.
AvienMael

Post by AvienMael »

Do stringed instruments mess up your fingers for whistling?

Yes - but just your pinky fingers. :lol:
Last edited by AvienMael on Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Playing, not paying.
Flexismart
Tell us something.: Some of my original tunes are displayed at https://thesession.org/members/49476
I play several flutes, many whistles, many guitars, bouzouki, banjo, and own way too many pedals.
I could open a music store if I didn't live in the back woods of Pennsylvania.

Post by Flexismart »

No.
hoopy mike

Post by hoopy mike »

Interesting question...

I've heard that guitar messes up fingers for fiddlers, but nothing about whistling. I guess the brass and woodwind players amongst us could have a similar discussion as to whether playing trumpet/tuba/oboe/sax messes up the embouchure.
Jaime

Post by Jaime »

Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like I am good to go for ukulele + whistle. Yay!

I haven't played a string instrument at all, so the finger tips vs. finger pads thing hadn't occurred to me.

brewerpaul, thanks, I have already been hanging out at Ukulele Underground. Lots of great information there for when I start learning. :)

The number of practice hours being divided between two instruments, as Raggle Taggle said, that's a tough one. But on the other hand, I'll start learning more about chords, which are pretty much a mystery to me so far.

There is a uke-shaped box under the Christmas tree already! but our family has historically been opposed to opening presents before Christmas. :puppyeyes: I'm trying to think of a reason why I deserve a special exemption this year.