CP: Parks high whistles in black on the way

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Carey
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: In the dog house. Gone playing music too much recently.

CP: Parks high whistles in black on the way

Post by Carey »

Hi Gang,

I have been wanting (and have been asked) to make some high whistles in black, but try as I may, I had not found a source of suitable pipe in America. I found one possible source a couple years ago, but they just sold the last of their black stock and were not ordering more. A few months ago I found a source for 1/2" PVC in black, but not CPVC, so made some alto whistles in black. (Which you can see on my web site at http://www.parkswhistles.com)

Then several weeks ago I found a web site that will make "any size, any color" PVC shapes. OK, this should be easy. And it would be, if I wanted to purchase 20,000 feet of the stuff. Yes, you did the math right - almost four miles. I'd have to put it in my will.

Quite a while ago, I did a swap with our very own Jem flute player, fixer-upper and piccolo maker, and the pipe he obtains in England for his piccolos would make a nice Parks whistle. But I couldn't find a practical way to get the stuff over here. (I never asked Jem, as I didn't want to put the burden of a regular commitment on him.)

One of my dealers, Phil at Big Whistle Music in England, called last week and while we chatted he mentioned that he thought he could sell more black whistles than white in Europe.

"Maybe the white color doesn't cross the Atlantic well" he suggested.

"No, I think people would like a black whistle here too" says I, "But I can find the stuff over here."

So began Phil's quest for the proper pipe. From Jem's sample I had the manufacturer and size, and was happy with the single whistle I was able to make from it. I gave the info to Phil and after only a single day I see the following in an e-mail from Phil: "I found where I can get it, but they have to order it in special. If I waited a day to place the order, it would come in a week later. So I placed the order before speaking with you. I had to order 90 meters. I hope that's OK, because it's too late if not."

HA! My man Phill seems as excited about this project as I am.

Suspecting it might make an interesting tale to follow in real time, I plan to report on the progress as the material arrives, comes across the Atlantic and is turned into the first batch of black Parks high whistles. So as milestones are reached I'll post some photos and reports to this thread.

Phil Brown of Big Whistle Music (and Friday BBC radio fame) receiving the first shipment of conduit in England.

A better shot of what ninety meters of pipe looks like.
Phil will be cutting into rough size for whistle parts for me so it can be shipped more easily.

From what I can tell having played around with a short section of the material I got from Jem, the whistle will sound enough different from the white Every that I don't want to use the same name. Plus the material will be more costly with the shipping over etc. so it will be a different price. So it will need a new name. The first name to come to mind is "Ninja", because of the blackness. Not sure that's Celtic enough.

Thoughts?

(edit to add a second photo)
When there's a huge spill of solar energy, it's just called a nice day.

http://www.parkswhistles.com
Feadoggie
antispam: No

Re: CP: Parks high whistles in black on the way

Post by Feadoggie »

Carey wrote:Then several weeks ago I found a web site that will make "any size, any color" PVC shapes. OK, this should be easy. And it would be, if I wanted to purchase 20,000 feet of the stuff. Yes, you did the math right - almost four miles. I'd have to put it in my will.
Been there! I've been through the black pipe quest myself. There is a major manufacturer of polymer pipe not far from my home. So a few years back I inquired about purchasing "black" CPVC pipe. Their response was similar to what you found. I'd basically have to spring for a whole production run of pipe. Not gonna happen any time soon.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
plunk111
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

How about just calling them "Dubh"? Or maybe "feadog dubh"...
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
Carey

Post by Carey »

plunk111 wrote:How about just calling them "Dubh"? Or maybe "feadog dubh"...
Good thoughts Pat. I considered those. The first I feel would be hard for English speakers to figure out how to pronounce, as well as being too close to a "brand" that has been conscripted by a certain ex-president. And "feadóg" seems so close to "Feadóg" I'm afraid of stepping on bharraicíní with that one.

But I would consider "Black (something)" or "Dubh (rud éigin)" if it's cool enough to warrant the pronunciation issue. But maybe something that strongly implies black? (Ever notice how some Irish accents pronounce "Dubh" a lot like we in the US say "Darth" :boggle:

Carey

DrPhill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by DrPhill »

Carey wrote: But I would consider "Black (something)" or "Dubh (rud éigin)" if it's cool enough to warrant the pronunciation issue. But maybe something that strongly implies black? (Ever notice how some Irish accents pronounce "Dubh" a lot like we in the US say "Darth" :boggle:
Carey
So Dubh Feder :D
Phill

One does not equal two. Not even for very large values of one.
JTC111

Post by JTC111 »

"The Raven" has a nice ring to it.
Jim

I wish I were a Lord Mayor, a Marquis or an Earl
And blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl
Blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl

http://www.jimcaputo.com
Carey

Post by Carey »

JTC111 wrote:"The Raven" has a nice ring to it.
Yes it does. Not bad, not bad at all...

jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Nice story/developments, Carey! Glad you are sorted. I would happily have done it for you, you know..... Funnily enough, I just recently ordered and received a new 30x3m bundle myself, as I was on the last couple of lengths of the first lot I bought just on 3 years ago. One can readily get the next two larger sizes in single lengths in DIY stores and electrical factors, but the demand for the smallest size is so low that no-one actually stocks it at retail any more and it has to be ordered in in moderate quantity. I just hope the manufacturer doesn't discontinue it!

As for whistle names, how about the Stealth Whistle? (Especially suitable if you go for the matte/silk finish I give my pics!)
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
dspmusik
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by dspmusik »

i do think "ninja" compliments the already existent "ghost" whistles you have. "Grim Reaper" might be a little to 'metal' of a name, but that's along the same line. ebony, onyx, void, shade, shadow, etc.
actually, you should have a voting contest, and the person who chose the winning name (with the most votes) gets a free one! :thumbsup:
"By this we know we have passed from death to life: that we love our brothers."
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

"Dark Traveler" and I want one, please.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

The Black Wing.

The Blackbird.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
maki

Post by maki »

Noir.
Knight Whistle.
Black Magic.
ecohawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by ecohawk »

Call it the Carey's Ciardubhan (little black one). Whatever you call it, I want one, high D please. And remember to use the cream color for the logo. Lovin' that Bb.

ecohawk
"Never get one of those cheap tin whistles. It leads to much harder drugs like pipes and flutes." - anon
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Not Black/Dubh anything, Knight or Onyx (all potentially treading on others' toes?) but, from the other suggestions so far, I'd maybe favour Ninja, Raven, Stealth or Shadow.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

I've got a few:

Nowhere Whistle. (Kind of the opposite of Everywhistle. Sing it everybody - "He's a real Nowhere Whistle; sitting in his nowhere land ...")

Night Owl. You should consider that one. It would be a hoot.

Following on from sort of suggestions above, how about Darth Feadóg?

Then there are other black birds than blackbirds and ravens. In fact, I would rather have a rook or a crow personally (even though ravens are such beautiful birds).

Then there's Black Witch (which?), Deathstar (for the dramatic effect :) ), Halloween? How about Hannibal, for that macabre touch?

SO has just suggested "batwhistle". [Nod and smile, folks. :D ]