I have succumbed to WHOAD

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
MTGuru
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: I have succumbed to WHOAD

Post by MTGuru »

kokopelli wrote:My best description of what backpressure is would be how hard you have to push the air through the instrument.
That's part of it. Intuitively (i.e., not scientifically), I think the part that you're missing is the dynamic element. That is, backpressure is not just static resistance, but it changes dynamically as the breath input changes with the volume and frequency of the note. And the relationship is not necessarily linear. In effect, backpressure is more like impedance than resistance.

For example, take a Copeland whistle, which has low backpressure. There's a certain light resistance toward the bottom end. But as you move upwards and increase breath pressure, the perceived resistance doesn't increase greatly. Which can make hitting the right pressure tricky, with a tendency to overblow. Whereas on a Burke, say, the increase in backpressure seems more proportional to the ideal forward pressure for a given note, giving the impression of less breath control effort on the part of the player.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
cunparis
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by cunparis »

MTGuru wrote:For example, take a Copeland whistle, which has low backpressure. There's a certain light resistance toward the bottom end. But as you move upwards and increase breath pressure, the perceived resistance doesn't increase greatly. Which can make hitting the right pressure tricky, with a tendency to overblow. Whereas on a Burke, say, the increase in backpressure seems more proportional to the ideal forward pressure for a given note, giving the impression of less breath control effort on the part of the player.
Thanks for the explanation. Would this explain why I can play one song on a one whistle very well and I pick up a different whistle in another key and I have trouble? For example the cut on a 2nd octave D will sound great on one whistle but sounds bad on another?

I played my first whistle for several months and now I purchased a few other ones and I have trouble playing them. Should I pick one and just stick with it in order to overcome this??
ecohawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by ecohawk »

There are quite a few more experienced players on this board who will hopefully share their views on this. I'm about two and a half years into my whistle experience and practice daily for at least an hour so I can offer my experience at least.

After lurking on this site for several months and interviewing whistle/flute playing friends I acquired four whistles to start with. All high D's but of completely different types. A Mellow Dog, a basic nickel Generation, a Sweet delrin Pro and a Shaw. I discovered that the Mellow Dog was the best all around whistle but that all the others had their place as well depending on the tune I was playing or the skill I was trying to develop. I spent most of my time with the Mellow Dog and less with the others but I began to acquire many more whistles of all types and in all keys.

I own more than 50 whistles now. I play them all at least once a month but some I play every day. My Sindt D, my Parks walkabout D, a Harper C and a Jerry tweaked Nickel Generation Bb get played every day. The Mellow Dog gets played every weekend and lives in my jacket pocket. The Copelands and Goldie/Overtons and Busmans get a weekend workout as well.

When I want to learn a new tune, ornament or skill I play either the Sindt or the Mellow Dog exclusively until I have it down because I am completely comfortable with everything they do and they are easy for me to play. However, I find that the different whistles suit different tunes so having more than one gives me options that make me a better player.

Some folks will say that sticking to one whistle for everything will help you learn faster. I believe that is true. But for me, I want everything to sound as good as it can so I need the variety and I don't want the instrument to be what holds me back. If I'm not good at playing I want it to be me that takes the blame, not the whistle. I'm also fortunate that I can afford many different instruments.

*A good whistle is not just about price. There are far more good expensive whistles than there are good low priced whistles, mainly due to design, construction and customizing options. But don't get stuck on price in the beginning. When you can spend the money, get one of the crafters around here to make your dream instrument. For now, just make sure what you play has the sound type you want and is in tune both by key and with itself.

That's not why I have so many whistles though. I don't keep them because they're pretty or unusual. They better be good players as well or I let them go. You have to decide what motivates you to be a better player. Then play as much as you can, every day.

ecohawk
"Never get one of those cheap tin whistles. It leads to much harder drugs like pipes and flutes." - anon
Corgicrazed

Post by Corgicrazed »

Forgive my ignorance, but what exactly is WHOAD? :-?
"Logic, my dear Zoe, merely enables one to be wrong with authority."

The Second Doctor
heyjude

Post by heyjude »

I always thought that WHOA meant stop, but recently it seems to mean giddyup go! A polished green low D MK from Eric, a brass Bb from Michael Burke which I really like and then yesterday my wife told me I should order a brass Burke narrow D for my birthday this Sunday. That should do it......but no. I decided I really needed a low G. The Irish Flute Store is a little richer and Doc no longer has a African Blackwood low G Bleazey to sell. That's it, no more.............ever! Or until I get an email from Stick saying "it's ready to ship, Send Money"! I gotta go practice, take care.

Jude
"Man cannot live on bread alone, he must have peanut butter" - Kruger Bear
DrPhill

Post by DrPhill »

Whistle Obsessive Acquisition Disorder.
Phill

One does not equal two. Not even for very large values of one.
Corgicrazed

Post by Corgicrazed »

DrPhill wrote:Whistle Obsessive Acquisition Disorder.
Wow.... I think I've probably got that. :lol:
"Logic, my dear Zoe, merely enables one to be wrong with authority."

The Second Doctor
osage59

Post by osage59 »

Last weekend my collection went from 1 to 3. In addition to my Oak, a new Elf Song whistle arrived. On top of that I found a plastic Dixie whistle at a garage sale!

It's all good :)
cunparis

Post by cunparis »

ecohawk wrote: After lurking on this site for several months and interviewing whistle/flute playing friends I acquired four whistles to start with. All high D's but of completely different types. A Mellow Dog, a basic nickel Generation, a Sweet delrin Pro and a Shaw. I discovered that the Mellow Dog was the best all around whistle but that all the others had their place as well depending on the tune I was playing or the skill I was trying to develop. I spent most of my time with the Mellow Dog and less with the others but I began to acquire many more whistles of all types and in all keys.
When I want to learn a new tune, ornament or skill I play either the Sindt or the Mellow Dog exclusively until I have it down because I am completely comfortable with everything they do and they are easy for me to play. However, I find that the different whistles suit different tunes so having more than one gives me options that make me a better player.
ecohawk
Ecohawk - thanks for sharing your experience, I found that really interesting. Playing different whistles is a lot of fun, but I think I will choose one as my main whistle for, like you said, learning new tunes and techniques. I want to get proficient at the whistles I have before adding any more. For example if I can learn to play my alto G with piper's grip then I'll consider a Low D. But no sense in getting the low D if I can't play the G well.
AvienMael

Post by AvienMael »

cunparis wrote:
ecohawk wrote: After lurking on this site for several months and interviewing whistle/flute playing friends I acquired four whistles to start with. All high D's but of completely different types. A Mellow Dog, a basic nickel Generation, a Sweet delrin Pro and a Shaw. I discovered that the Mellow Dog was the best all around whistle but that all the others had their place as well depending on the tune I was playing or the skill I was trying to develop. I spent most of my time with the Mellow Dog and less with the others but I began to acquire many more whistles of all types and in all keys.
ecohawk
Ecohawk - thanks for sharing your experience, I found that really interesting. Playing different whistles is a lot of fun, but I think I will choose one as my main whistle for, like you said, learning new tunes and techniques. I want to get proficient at the whistles I have before adding any more. For example if I can learn to play my alto G with piper's grip then I'll consider a Low D. But no sense in getting the low D if I can't play the G well.

This really is the wisest of paths to take when you are learning the whistle. Choose a whistle, and let that be the one you develop skills on. Acquiring whistles for the sake of acquiring them will only impede your progress in the long run.
Playing, not paying.
Cron-Z

Post by Cron-Z »

In my case, I "acquire" other whistles to, in a sense, fill the need of a certain key. I'm part of a youth choir and I've started bringing in a "Celtic" feel to the music-direction. With this, we're starting to touch more and more songs that are in the key of A. So recently I splurged on a Chieftain in A (will arrive in a week or two). This is great for me because a lot of our fiddle songs in Eastern Canada are in A too.
cunparis

Post by cunparis »

AvienMael wrote: This really is the wisest of paths to take when you are learning the whistle. Choose a whistle, and let that be the one you develop skills on. Acquiring whistles for the sake of acquiring them will only impede your progress in the long run.
A bit of explanation: My favorite whistle is my first one, a stock generation F. But I thought F was too high and shrill so I got tweaked D & Bb. The D is really nice and similar to the F but for some reason my fingers just don't fly as they do on the F. I keep telling myself to give myself more time. Now I'm curious what an untweaked generation plays like so I'm tempted to buy one so that I can compare. The Bb is on hold as I want to get familiar with my D.

I'd like D to be my main whistle but I can't resist picking put the F now and then. And then I wonder what the Eb would be like. Margin Bergin liked that one and I hear others do. If it's some kind of combination between F & D I may like it. So I'm tempted to try it. Untweaked these things are cheap. I just need to find a store who will let me play them so I can pick a good one.

maybe I should just stick with the Gen D and forget everything else for many months and then try the other ones later when I'm more proficient with what I have..
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

DrPhill wrote:Whistle Obsessive Acquisition Disorder.
and WHOAD, unchecked, can lead to this:

Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Magickdancer

Post by Magickdancer »

[quote="Or until I get an email from Stick saying "it's ready to ship, Send Money"! I gotta go practice, take care.
Jude[/quote]

Ah... so has your beloved whistle arrived yet??

Mine took a looooooong time for him to make... Stick taught me patience last year. : )

Kristen
maki

Post by maki »

My Whoa has been reined in.
I'm saving my whistle money for a Sindt D.
By the time my name comes to the top of the list I'll have the cash.
Should be some time in early 2012, I sure hope the world doesn't end before I get my new whistle!