OT: Best Towns/Cities in the Southeast?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

I've just taken a job with a company that, after 3 months of training, will relocate me somewhere in the Southeast - It's unlikely that I'll have a whole lot of control over where I'm sent, although I've been told I will likely be given a choice of 2-3 locations in the Southeast to choose from.

So, I'm interested in hearing about the best and worst places to live in the southeast (11 states, but I don't have the exact list at the moment). I've been in Asheville NC for the last 2 months, and I love it here, but chances are Asheville won't be one of my options :sad: Any suggestions on where's hot, and where's not?

Loren

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Loren on 2003-02-24 19:30 ]</font>
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

New Orleans--lived there
for many years. Maybe that
isn't east. Atlanta
seems a pretty good place.
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Thanks Jim, I believe New Orleans is one of the possible cities, as is Atlanta, obviously. Having lived in Tampa for a long time, I'd probably prefer somewhat smaller towns, although the money would probably be better for me in more populated areas, like the one's you've mentioned.

I should have also mentioned that, given a choice, I'd REALLY prefer to be in the mountains, but that may or may not be an option.

BTW Jim, I will be in St. Louis for 2 months starting in a week - don't know exactly what my training schedule is going to be, but perhaps we'll run into each other at some point.

Cheers,

Loren

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Loren on 2003-02-24 20:06 ]</font>
TelegramSam
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by TelegramSam »

Atlanta's a s#&thole. The air is filthy and the crime rate is higher than mount everest in a lot of parts. Don't get me started on the traffic...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TelegramSam on 2003-02-24 19:52 ]</font>
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

On 2003-02-24 19:51, TelegramSam wrote:
Atlanta's a s#&thole. The air is filthy and the crime rate is higher than mount everest in a lot of parts. Don't get me started on the traffic...

Yeah, but how's the culture and arts? LOL.

Loren
ErikT

Post by ErikT »

Well, you really liked Florida, right Loren?
Mike J

Post by Mike J »

Well, I live in Florida and I want out. I've been remodeling my house and am just about finished. As soon as it's done, it goes on the market and I move to the mountains. I don't know which mountains yet, but also somewhere in the southeast.

Keep the ideas flowing. I need them too.
Ridseard

Post by Ridseard »

On 2003-02-24 19:38, Loren wrote:
I should have also mentioned that, given a choice, I'd REALLY prefer to be in the mountains, but that may or may not be an option.
For mountain towns, Chattanooga and Knoxville TN are okay, as is Roanoke VA. Charlotte NC is near the mountains but is too much like Atlanta, best avoided if possible.
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Take a look at the tri-cities area- Bristol VA/TN Kingsport,TN Johnson City,TN. Lots of mountains, cultural- everything from symphony to old-time,(Bristol is the birthplace of country music as in the Carter Family, who by the way have their "Carter Fold" nearby, celtic, and an airport.
the Barter Theater-state Theater of Va. is in nearby historic Abingdon.

Low crime, colleges and universities and laid back.
And if you happen to like NASCAR- we have th e Bristol Motor Speedway!!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: cowtime on 2003-02-24 21:30 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: cowtime on 2003-02-24 21:31 ]</font>
rebl_rn

Post by rebl_rn »

Hey cowtime, got any tickets for either of the Bristol races??? I gotta get to a race there someday.... :smile:

Beth
Soineanta

Post by Soineanta »

I'd kill to live in the mountains, and if that's what you like, definitly try for one of the more northern states. But if you're stuck with a choice of just (god forbid!) Florida, I'd have to reccommend my own town of Sarasota. It's small enough to not be overpoweringly bustling, but large enough to have great restaurants and theatres. And if you felt like travelling to a big city, Tampa's an hour away--Orlando is 2 hours. There's a couple Irish pubs here, and some in Bradenton just down the road aways. And you can't beat the beaches. :smile: Also, if you're stuck in Florida, avoid the East Coast at all costs--unfriendly people, bad service, generally sucky as far as I've seen.
Good luck!
~Sara S.~
"We don't build statues to worship the exceptional life; we build them to remind ourselves what is possible in our own." - unknown
Mike J

Post by Mike J »

Except for a year I spent in St. Louis on business, South Florida has been my home for all of my life. Most of that time was spent in the Miami area. I currently live in Boca Raton in Palm Beach county. I can't comment on Florida's West coast since I've spent very little time there; but, I have to concur with Sara's comments on Florida's East coast. Once you get North of Palm Beach, I don't think the East coast is too bad, but, I would avoid Dade, Broward and Palm Beach counties. There are just way too many people. The road systems can't come close to handling the number of people here.

A comment was made earlier about Atlanta. From what I hear, their traffic is even worse than we have here. I have two cousins who live in Atlanta, though, and they love it there.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Loren, congratulations on the new job! That's great news!

I grew up in Atlanta, and my parents still live there, but frankly I'm glad not to be there any more, and my parents are really sick of it. It's grown way too much, and it's too crowded. Also, property is insanely expensive there.

Frankly, I don't think you could do much better than North Carolina. Each part of the state has something good to offer, and you're never too far from the other parts. The only problem is that both Charlotte and the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area are growing very fast, and in 10 years they'll be like Atlanta are now.

Good luck!
Steven
Mike J

Post by Mike J »

Although I am in the process of getting out of Florida myself, Florida and Tennessee both have one advantage over all other states in the southeast. Neither state has a state income tax. All of the others in this part of the country do. It may not be important to you, but, just some food for thought.
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

I've lived in parts of the South though maybe not so much Southeast. For a whistle/flute player I don't think you'll find anywhere like the NorthEast and Chicago for culure.
I lived in New Orleans briefly. Lots of culture there of all varieties. As for Irish trad there isn't much outside of O'Flaherty's which is a pub on Toulouse down in the French Quarter. There are regular performances of local musicians there. No regular sessions though.
I lived close to Memphis and have been there sevral times and don't recall much for Irish trad going on though there is a lot of other cultural events plus usually a handfull of good concerts of the Irish and Scottish trad genre plus lots of big Pop and Rock concerts. Cut that in half and you have Little Rock.
I've been to other SE cities bt not enough to really comment. I hope some of this was informative.
Cheers,
Aaron