Guitar aquisition disorder--not a pretty sight!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Di Di, yes there's a used Martin
12 string for sale at Music
Folk, it's quite nice, in fact.

The Bates Street Folk N'Blues
Band played at a church this
morning--Charlie Poole showed
up and played fiddle. We are
much better with him. Charles
H. brought the Jumbo and
it rocks! Best
ScottStewart
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by ScottStewart »

On 2003-02-23 13:56, Damien wrote:
all i want for christmas is a paul reed smith hollow-body
Ooh! A PRS! I had one of those! One of the early ones. Nice guit! I sold it for more than I paid when I went all acoustic.
Image Scott

"Peace is not defined by the absence of war."
Jerry Freeman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Hello, all.

I emailed a link to this thread to my wife (in the other room), who plays guitar, uke and piano.

She hasn't played music much in the last several years, and I've been hoping you folks would conspire with me to help lure her back. (Shhhh! She might be lurking on the board. If we whisper, maybe she won't notice this post. OK, I think the coast is clear ... )

Anyway, I've got one of the children learning "Dallas Skies" on the flute, and I've just broken the news to Arleen that the person who wrote the tune has provided two different workups of guitar chords. There seems to be a glimmer of interest.

Then she read some of the posts in this thread and asked me if I would post a guitar story of her own for her. (Shhhh! No high fives! She'll overhear us!)

Anyway, here's a comment from my wife.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sigh...I remember the days when I used to buy guitars. And I have a the-thief-stole-my-guitar story, too. I was living in an apt. in Worcester, Mass. while attending Clark Univ. While taking a nap one afternoon, a thief entered the unlocked apt. and snooped around. My bedroom was in the back, so when he got to my room and saw a person sleeping in the bed, he acted quickly. He saw my guitar case propped against the wall, grabbed it and ran. I awoke to the confusing sounds of clunk-twang (banging case against doorjamb while making a hasty retreat)and thwap-thwap-thwap (adorable, gentle, Golden Retriever, useless-as-a-watchdog Juno, who had come to see what all the hubbub was about). I jumped out of bed, put 2 and 2 together in a flash...missing guitar, door open, RAN down the stairs and out the door, Juno following at my heels. I saw the guy, but he was faster than me and better at jumping over fences. I wasn't thinking...after all, it was my hand made, brought back from Germany (get ready, this is a classic German word that never ends): Fraenklischemeisterwerkstaetten 6 string classic. So now my Martin D-18 has been lonely all these long years. (It's been a long time since undergrad. at Clark.) Well, that is, it was lonely until last year when I happened to.......
Want more?
Arleen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nice work, folks.

Best wishes,
Jerry

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jerry Freeman on 2003-02-23 19:02 ]</font>
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

I just noticed,

"There is 1 user currently chatting." I'm not sure how that works, exactly.
ScottStewart

Post by ScottStewart »

On 2003-02-23 18:28, Jerry Freeman wrote:
(get ready, this is a classic German word that never ends): Fraenklischemeisterwerkstaetten 6 string classic.
<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jerry Freeman on 2003-02-23 19:02 ]</font>
Here's another one - Fahrfernugen. That's all I know.:lol:
Image Scott

"Peace is not defined by the absence of war."
johnz

Post by johnz »

Ok, where's the rest of the story?
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Actually this is the first I've heard about it myself. I'll let Arleen know that someone is asking for an explanation and see if she comments.

Best wishes,
Jerry
Tom Dowling
Tell us something.: Well, I've been a contributor and visitor to this site since 2001. At one time or another, one of my photographs was the opening page photograph. My teacher was Bill Ochs. I play the Penny Whistle. Not a lot else to say.

Post by Tom Dowling »

A guy near and dear to me--my big brother--makes interesting guitars. Check out this site at your leisure: eddowling.com

Happy to be Hooked on Whistles Only,

Tom D.
breedlovejumbo

Post by breedlovejumbo »

Yeah, I decided to switch to whistles so that I could actually buy things. The most I could get was the Breedlove. My wife said something about needing a car big enough to take all the kids in one trip.
bdatki

Post by bdatki »

On 2003-02-23 16:42, jim stone wrote:
Di Di, yes there's a used Martin
12 string for sale at Music
Folk, it's quite nice, in fact.

The Bates Street Folk N'Blues
Band played at a church this
morning--Charlie Poole showed
up and played fiddle. We are
much better with him. Charles
H. brought the Jumbo and
it rocks! Best
I thought Charlie Poole died in 1931, and didn't he play banjo? =)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: bdatki on 2003-02-23 23:36 ]</font>
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

http://www.examiner.com/antiques/defaul ... bson.0806w
I had a beautiful old Gibson Jumbo guitar once and sold it without my wifes permission. I get the idea she wants me to do something like that again.

I then went and bought an old Gibson mandocello...and was that ever the right move! For Irish music, I like it a lot better than even DADGAD played on the guitar.
But, Taylors are wonderful sounding guitars and a great investment too. So, I understand the drool and suggest anyone shopping for them..carry your own towels.
Damien

Post by Damien »

alrighty. if i ever become excessively rich i know where to come if i want to buy random people things :wink:
Tres

Post by Tres »

I have lived through GAS myself. However, there is no cure other than this: Eventually, if you really know what you are looking for, you will hear the ultimate sound and nothing else will jazz you like that. You then will be immune.

I play bluegrass guitar with a thick ol' flatpick! Therefore, I have gone through many extremely nice dreadnaughts looking for "the sound". For those who do not know, "the sound" for a flatpicking guitar slinger is the herringbone trimmed Martin D-28 of the mid 1930's to early 40' (called "a bone"). I, at one time thought these guitars had the sound:

1989 Martin HD-28
1998 Martin D-18V
1999 Martin HD-28V
2000 Martin HD-28LSV
1998 Collings D-1
1999 Collings D1-A
1962 D-28

Then, guess what happened... I played some excellent examples of real "bones" and some great pre-war D-18's. Nothing compares! There is NO WAY to replicate that sound! Taylors and new Martins are just OK, nothing great. I have a great guitar myself-- a retopped '67 D-28 that sounds as close as a new guitar can. However, I have been to the top of the mountain and there is nowhere else to go!

So I sold, or am selling all my other guitars and just hope to hit the lottery. Then I'd REALLY be in trouble!

Tres
OutOfBreath

Post by OutOfBreath »

On 2003-02-23 13:56, Damien wrote:
all i want for christmas is a paul reed smith hollow-body...
Oh, yeah. Drool, drool. My local guitar shop has a whole wall of PRS guitars. They had to put all the hollow-bodies up where I couldn't reach them... :wink:

Of course, in a way that's a good thing. I bought my Taylor in there. I was looking for a 12-series (small body) CE. I was planning on getting a 412CE, but the only one they had "featured" a huge light streak down the middle of the fretboard. Functionally okay but very ugly (which is pretty unusual for Taylor). Anyhow, they had two 312CEs on the wall which are basically the same guitar with less expensive bindings. I figured there was no sense paying a premium for expensive bindings and an ugly fretboard, so I grabbed one of the 312CEs. Now, what has all this got to do with things being placed out of reach? Well, they had a gorgeous 612CE locked up in the "expensive room" that, had I been able to put my hands on, I would have purchased. It probably wouldn't have sounded any better than the 312CE (especially in my hands) and it would have set me back an extra grand or more. So, they did me a big favor by locking it up, and I did myself a big favor by not asking them to open the room for me :lol:

John