Little Wing

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
PhilO
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Little Wing

Post by PhilO »

Tell the truth, don't you just once in a while wish you could wail "Little Wing" on your whistle..

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Feadoggie
antispam: No

Re: Little Wing

Post by Feadoggie »

:lol:

But no, I don't. It kind of misses out on the entire butterflies, moonbeams and fairy tales thing if you don't sing it. The lyrics really add to the whole song, at least they do for me. Strictly guitar and voice for me. But I will admit that I have noodled around with it on whistle. Terrific song.

(Assuming we are talking about the Hendrix song and not the Neil Young song of the same name.)

Feadoggie
Last edited by Feadoggie on Fri May 13, 2011 9:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

What do you mean "wish"?
Just follow along with Andrea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5rVgxmekeM#t=22s
Chino

Post by Chino »

Jimi Hendrix played tin-whistle at the end of If 6 Was 9 (Axis album). :wink:
Guyon

Post by Guyon »

Yup, I play along with that Youtube video now and then. I have that CD too. IMO the MTV Unplugged version is better than the Live in Dublin version.
Chino wrote:Jimi Hendrix played tin-whistle at the end of If 6 Was 9 (Axis album). :wink:
Yup again. Jimi Hendrix was quoted in one interview saying how he was inspired by the Coltrane tin whistle recordings.
flynnieous
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by flynnieous »

Feadoggie wrote::It kind of misses out on the entire butterflies, moonbeams and fairy tales thing if you don't sing it. The lyrics really add to the whole song, at least they do for me.
I don't know. Stevie Ray Vaughan's cover of Little Wing is an instrumental, and it blows me away every time I hear it.
Matt Flynn
Chicago, IL
Chino

Post by Chino »

Guyon wrote:
Chino wrote:Jimi Hendrix played tin-whistle at the end of If 6 Was 9 (Axis album). :wink:
Yup again. Jimi Hendrix was quoted in one interview saying how he was inspired by the Coltrane tin whistle recordings.
:lol:

Whatever, Jimi really played a whistle at the end of this track:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8BBipmqKxg
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Feadoggie wrote::lol:

But no, I don't. It kind of misses out on the entire butterflies, moonbeams and fairy tales thing if you don't sing it. The lyrics really add to the whole song, at least they do for me. Strictly guitar and voice for me. But I will admit that I have noodled around with it on whistle. Terrific song.

(Assuming we are talking about the Hendrix song and not the Neil Young song of the same name.)

Feadoggie
What recently brought this to mind was the Eric Clapton/Steve Winwood version from Live at Madison Square Garden...

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
murchmb

Post by murchmb »

Clapton's guitar solo on Sting's rendition of it (Nothing Like the Sun) is one of my all time favorites.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

murchmb wrote:Clapton's guitar solo on Sting's rendition of it (Nothing Like the Sun) is one of my all time favorites.
I could have sworn that was Hiram Bullock on Sting's version. Clapton did work on the "Nothing Like the Sun" sessions but I thought his contribution was to "They Dance Alone".

Sting's version is one that sticks in my head. There are so many very good renditions out there which just shows how strong the song is.

The connection I have to the song comes from a serious illness I had about 20 years ago. After returning home from the hospital I could not do much. Our daughter was 5 years old. Everything in her world was pink at the time . I believe mermaids were "in". Anyway the lyrics (which Hendrix reportedly wrote as a snapshot of the Monterey Pop Festival) seemed to describe my daughter at the time. Nothing but innocent hope and happiness. Every day she would ride off on her bike and pick wild flowers for me and come back to sit with me and go through a field guide to identify each type she had picked. And Sting's version of Little Wing was in the CD player at that time.

Well she's walking through the clouds
With a circus mind that's running round
Butterflies and zebras
And moonbeams and fairy tales
That's all she ever thinks about
Riding with the wind.

When I'm sad, she comes to me
With a thousand smiles, she gives to me free
It's alright she says it's alright
Take anything you want from me, anything.

So I kinda like the lyrics.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Anyone know if he played the whistle left handed too?
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

What an incredibly beautiful memory Feadoggie. Thanks for the uplift.

Philo
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I agree. I was laid up at home with pneumonia for three weeks when my daughter was about 3. Megablocks were in. So when I was semi-conscious for most of the day on the recliner in the living room, she'd spend a couple of hours making something with the Megablocks and carrying it over, saying, "Daddy, here's a tower* to help you get better."

The innocence and unconditional love that children possess is God's gift to mankind. My goal is to make sure my daughter never loses that.

*or a castle, depending on details that I could never figure out ;)
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
murchmb

Post by murchmb »

Feadoggie wrote:
murchmb wrote:Clapton's guitar solo on Sting's rendition of it (Nothing Like the Sun) is one of my all time favorites.
I could have sworn that was Hiram Bullock on Sting's version. Clapton did work on the "Nothing Like the Sun" sessions but I thought his contribution was to "They Dance Alone".
Ack. You are correct. I've gone 24 years thinking that was Clapton.