Tales of tunes....origins or ?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
ecohawk
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Tales of tunes....origins or ?

Post by ecohawk »

This might fit better in the ITM forum but I couldn't decide since it's mostly about whistle music. :-?

Occasionally when listening to a player a story will be offered that sets the tone for the tune about to be played. Sometimes it will be a personal anecdote (Micho Russell) but often it will be a suggested origin for the tune. I've heard a story, for instance, about the origin of An Roisin Dubh being composed about the daughter of Hugh the Red on the Scottish battlefield.

Don't know if any of it is true but to get to the point :boggle: finally, does anyone know of a website or have any information about the origin of any of these wonderful tunes we all play?

Thanks so much.

Michael
"Never get one of those cheap tin whistles. It leads to much harder drugs like pipes and flutes." - anon
Steve Bliven

Re: Tales of tunes....origins or ?

Post by Steve Bliven »

The comments tab on www.thesession.org often has background material on the tunes....

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

I think the stories about the tunes, their origins, how a player learned the tune and from whom is one of the great parts of the music. That holds for folk music in general, IME. Some players are better at sharing and telling the stories than others though. One player I admire in this regard for his knowledge of the tunes and how they get from one player to another is Paddy O'Brien, the box player. The man has so many tunes and he has a tid-bit to share about each and every one. And of course Frank Harte is greatly missed. Thanks, Michael.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

The Fiddler's Companion is probably the best online first-stop for background info about the tunes:

http://www.ibiblio.org/fiddlers/
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

What he said. The Fiddler's Companion is the schidt.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

I lived in Mt.Kisco NY('55-68) so I was interested in the tune Maids of Mt. Kisco. I had opportunity to ask musician and music historian Mick Moloney of Green Fields of America (who recorded the tune)about it. He told me who composed it, although I forget that bit. He said that in the early 20th century, many young women in Mt.Kisco worked in New York City 30 miles south as maids to wealthy family, hence the name. Works for me.

About two years ago, a large Maple limb blew down from a tree at my parent's house. My Dad planted that tree around 1956, and it has grown considerably in the <mumble> years since then. I saved part of the limb and am currently making a whistle from it-- It will be literally Made of Mt. Kisco
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
ecohawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by ecohawk »

How can you not love this stuff?

Thanks folks.
"Never get one of those cheap tin whistles. It leads to much harder drugs like pipes and flutes." - anon