Dylan songs for the tin whistle?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
osage59
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Dylan songs for the tin whistle?

Post by osage59 »

I'm at this awkward stage. I'm learning simple songs (which is fine) but many of the other songs that I see in my books are unfamiliar to me. Last night my memories of taking guitar lessons in the fifth grade came roaring back. My teacher had me practice a bunch of old unfamiliar songs - when I just wanted to rock! :lol:

Can you see where this is going?

It occurred to me last night that I'm a lifelong fan of Bob Dylan (among others) so why shouldn't I learn something that I'm at least familiar with, as I work my way towards those elusive and lovely "Celtic destinations?"

Any suggestions?
Do I just find the sheet music somewhere?
(We'll leave Aerosmith for another day)
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Dylan songs for the tin whistle?

Post by s1m0n »

Well, it won't sound any worse than Bob's harmonica...
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
osage59

Post by osage59 »

"Well, it won't sound any worse than Bob's harmonica..."

....or his voice, but still.....
Denny

Post by Denny »

be a good time to start learning to play by ear.

just keep flailing at it....it'll come

slowly :D
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
DrPhill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by DrPhill »

'Sarah'. Even I did that one by ear; a nice tune, but quickly becomes monotonous (as in boring, rather than literally single noted). Let me know if you want hints. I think you can play along on a D whistle (the elders may correct me there though....).

'The times they are a changing', 'Mr Tambourine Man', 'Blowin' in the wind'. I managed those by ear and memory, so well are they ingrained in my subconscious. I am sure there are more.

Yep, there are: 'North Country Blues' (I think this is a trad song with the numbers filed off - reminds a lot of 'The Yew Tree'), 'With God on Our Sides'. 'Walls of West Wing'. Again learnt by ear....

Thanks for making me think of those - I know more tunes than I realised!

Do you like Lindisfarne? They do some easy-learn tunes too. Try 'Meet Me On The Corner'. Someone did that really well at the session last month.

The trouble with songs, as opposed to tunes, is that they oft times have simpler, less testing melodies and rely on the words to make them interesting. The good thing is that they are easier to learn (in my humble beginners opinion).
Phill

One does not equal two. Not even for very large values of one.
Greg Connor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm facinated by the simplicity and the ability of the irish whistle. I use it mainly for accent while recording music.

Post by Greg Connor »

I think that is a great idea to play the songs you know and like. Go for it..... you probably will play longer and learn faster too.
Kypfer

Post by Kypfer »

A lot of Dylan's early stuff, on his first two albums at least, was based on "traditional" (or at least pre-existing) tunes ... 'Walls of West Wing' (should be " ... Red Wing" ) is aka "Sweet Carlough Bay" ... I don't remember him (officially) recording that one ... but check out Joan Baez et al from that era for other arrangements of Dylan songs ... they can sound a little more melodic with a female voice :twisted:
"I'm playing all the right notes—but not necessarily in the right order."
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

osage59 wrote:It occurred to me last night that I'm a lifelong fan of Bob Dylan (among others) so why shouldn't I learn something that I'm at least familiar with, as I work my way towards those elusive and lovely "Celtic destinations?"
It's a great idea to pick out and play songs by ear that you are familiar with. Bob Dylan has a broad portfolio too. You may find that Mr. Dylan does, in part, get you to those "Celtic destinations" sooner than you might think. He, like many of his folkie predecessors, used familiar melodies as the basis for his songs. Take "Lay Down Your Weary Tune" as an example. It is said to be based on the melody of a Welsh hymn. Sorry, I forget which one although The Water Is Wide does come to mind. So some of the melodies to his early work especially may be close to those of traditional songs. At any rate, the skill of picking things up by ear is a good one to develop.

Uh oh, cross post.
DrPhill wrote:Do you like Lindisfarne?
Lindisfarne? Oh.... you must mean Linda's Farm! I wasn't "Born at the Right Time", I suppose. Liked 'em in the early days, like 'em even more these days.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Dylan.... tune???? How could one tell?
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
osage59

Post by osage59 »

Lots of good tips.....thanks. I'd think songs like Lay Lady Lay, or Girl from the North Country might lend themslves to this.
ducks

Post by ducks »

Ok, now I can't get Subterranean Homesick Blues out of my head. Which is really unhelpful, I'm sorry.
sophie
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

ducks wrote:Subterranean Homesick Blues
That get's my vote, too. If you can handle playing one or two notes. :lol:
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
ducks

Post by ducks »

I think it might be easier to play it on a bodhran.
sophie
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

You expecting rhythm? He may have got a little nearer that than melody..... and a darn sight closer than lyrics that scan (or make sense)....
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Ceili_whistle_man
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Ceili_whistle_man »

I'm not a fan of yer man Bob, but we used to do one of his songs in our band with fiddle, flute, guitar, whistle and bodhran.
The song was 'Wallflower' and we would splice it with 'Southwind' in the main part and as the intro, then we'd use 'Planxty Irwin' as a bridge and outro.
Last edited by Ceili_whistle_man on Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked!