Canine whistle critics

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
HDSarah
antispam: No

Canine whistle critics

Post by HDSarah »

Well, it's finally happened to me: my current foster dog howls when I play whistle. It's even a low whistle (F) so he hasn't even experienced the piercing potential of an ordinary high D yet. I think this is further evidence that the "mix" part of his "Labrador mix" is beagle. I've had a few various retrievers and retriever mix foster dogs who suddenly beg to go outside when I play whistle, but this is the first one who sings along. It was actually pretty funny: he was almost pitch-matching on some notes, and singing some decent harmonies on some others. He made me laugh, which makes it very hard to play. (Devious little guy, isn't he?)

I DO appreciate my own resident Labrador, who tends to come over and lie on my feet when I play whistle. (Of course, he just generally likes to lie on my feet whenever I sit still.)
ICE JAM: "dam" good music that won't leave you cold. Check out our CD at http://cdbaby.com/cd/icejam
DrPhill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Canine whistle critics

Post by DrPhill »

Our two both have collie in them and collies are not supposed to be good with noise. They are very good with the bored sigh when they hear me play the whistle, but neither is sufficiently motivated to leave the room.

They do recognise and respond immediately to the dog whistle that says 'come here' (actually I think that it says 'biscuits' in dog language, but I will take whatever works).

Step-daughters boxer sings to the harmonica, but it is more effective in the hands of someone that has no skill at playing it. Nuff said.
Phill

One does not equal two. Not even for very large values of one.
Whistle Free or Die
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Whistle Free or Die »

Hi HDSarah,
My Border Collie is so busy waiting for me to say " bring sheep" that she really could care less if I am playing my whistle or not.
The cat, however, is another story, as is the husband. Both are losing their patience with my beginners repetoire.
Pets (and husbands) must cope... cause the whistling must go on.
Susan
Susan
Anyanka

Post by Anyanka »

Our greyhounds sleep along to my whistle, flute, piano, accordion - or indeed to the sound of silence. One of them occasionally starts moaning when the phone rings or when we chant (Buddhists).

The collie/lurcher cross, however, likes Mr Husband's playing. Her ears go up as soon as he gets out the harmonica, and she sings along most of the time. She obviously enjoys it, because she looks reproachful when he stops, but never tries to leave the room.
tinman

Post by tinman »

My Gordon Setter tolerates the low D & F whistles but starts barking when I pull out the alto G or higher. Perhaps they remind him of the buffalo horn dog whistle that often interrupts his fun. :wink:
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

We had a dog that used to prefer my wife's piano playing to my piano playing, even if I were playing out of her books. I was defintely second string to him. When we first got him, he liked the piano so much that one day, he jumped on the bench, pawed a few keys, wasn't really pleased with his performance, and never played again.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
missy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by missy »

All of our boxers have "sung" with wind type instrument, whistle, harmonica, NA flute. They could care less about strings (although all of them at one time or another have laid their head on the dulcimer strings). We had one that loved when a friend of ours would come over and play washtub bass - he would lay right next to it.

Growing up, our dacshund (sp?) would lay on the damper peddle of the piano when I was playing.
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
janmarie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by janmarie »

I have a Redbone Coon hound (Red) who loves to sing also and he seems to try to match certain pitches too. Sometimes when I'm playing he runs down to my studio, sits straight up and howls soulfully. He doesn't seem to mind the high D whistles but the flute and low whistles are definitely his favorites. He especially likes long tones. He's good for me ;). Another thing, when I first take out my whistle or flute and he's around, he rushes over to smell it and he gets all happy. Our favorite tune is the High Jig and he loves slides. Does anyone know of any session-going dogs ?
janmarie