The McHaffie Affair

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dale »

This posting has been prompted by a couple of other postings and a bit of time to get some perspective on the McHaffie affair.

It will help me to apologize for my part in that sordid series of event. I feel that I dropped the ball and I want to extend my apologies to those who got burned.

McHaffie sent me two or three of his whistles for comments. I thought they were rough prototypes but later realized that he intended to sell them as finished products. I gave feedback to him along the lines of, you know, keep working, I encourage you to continue to develop these, etc. As I typically have done, I just didn't say much of anything on the board or website or newsletter. Then I note that he was selling them and getting some positive comments. This surprised me, but I thought maybe he had made improvements, or SOMETHING. What I think I should have done at that point is to start privately emailing people who had his whistles and tried to figure out what was up. If I had learned that what he was selling was these rough products, I would have liked to think that I would have chimed in about my concerns. I don't feel responsible for his work or for the fact that he vanished holding people's money...I just wish I had taken more of an active role. I don't make excuses and I'm not apologizing to get anyone's particular reaction. What would help me is,if you are so inclined, is to accept my apology and let's move on. I learned something from it.

Dale

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DaleWisely on 2002-08-09 11:53 ]</font>
Azalin
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Azalin »

Dale,

From my point of view the McHaffie story is just a good lesson that we have to remember. People saying that "this whistle is amazing!" doesnt mean anything 'cause these people don't actually play well. We just have to be very careful in believing someone's review of a whistle, and maybe we ought to know more about the reviewer before making any purchase decision. Anyway, I'll sound cruel but the people who bought McHaffie whistles are the same people who's invested thousands of dollars in companies just by reading some fake scams on the internet. We just need to be careful when we spend money and it's no one else's fault than our own. Maybe the fact that McHaffie is just a lying basmati doesnt help though... :wink:
Isilwen

Post by Isilwen »

Of course, another thing is, you can't be afraid to share your opinion just because it may not agree with other's opinions!!! (like saying you don't like a particular whistle even though others may say that it's fantastic....) You have a right to think what you want, and a right to make decisions based on that! It's a free world people! :grin:
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Growing pains on the ol' Forum. As membership expands, inevitable, the power of the site's influence grows whether you want it or not.

This is the third thread this week simultaneously addressing similar issues. Must be time to powwow and develop some more strategies and policies.

I had considered proposing a Board of Reviewers based on their knowledge of whistles, ownership of many types etc. In a way, you already have such a thing...
Sounds a little pretentious but I think we should distinguish between careful reviews and our day-to-day griping. But could the Board agree with each other?

We do want to be able to gripe for certain and also make connections with others who have similar tastes but our opinions are indeed suspect as there is always someone who has tried more whistles than the next guy. So the gripes should be taken as such.

I bought a Burke in large part due to the recommendations on this Forum, especially Busman's review. I am grateful as it worked out.

But does anybody want to get sucked into endorsements and possible taints that can be charged??? Or, I guess, that is already happening? You mentioned email but not what they said.

We love ya Dale and appreciate that you are including us in fleshing this matter out.
Mack.Hoover
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Mack.Hoover »

Dale,

You are a hero to many of us that got a start because of your honest and valuable critiques. You never lead me on and I know you didn't John, either. At one time he asked my opinion but never sent a whistle I could respond to. I suppose I'm also guilty of not being more blunt, though I did tell him to not ignore Dale Wisely whose opinion has much weight.

I think he just rushed ahead of common sense. I do wish he'd try to clear the mess up.

But hey, he did start the clips and snips didn't he? That's been a plus for the community.

Mack

PS Apology accepted! WE LOVE YOU MAN!
fiddling_tenor

Post by fiddling_tenor »

Dale, don't flog yourself too much. I was one of the fortunate few who got their money back from MacHaffie. Took 7-8 months, but I did get it.

But that was more a lesson on conducting business over the internet, than anything else.

I continue to find this and the other forums informative (most of the time), entertaining (more often than not), and even sometimes thought-provoking. Where else in the world I ask can one connect with so many musicians at one time?!

Keep at it!

-Tom

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-08-09 13:19 ]</font>
Kelhorn Mike

Post by Kelhorn Mike »

I've got way to much time lately
and have probably been sticking my
nose in too many places but here
goes again. I think Weekenders
idea for a Board of Reviewers is
excellent if it can be properly
implimented. Limit the board
to maybe 5 very qualified
individuals, ( I suggest 2 from
the USA, 1 Canadian, 2 Europeans
for geographic diversity).
Could a fair election be held
somehow? Democracy in action is
a great thing I think. Perhaps
makers & manufacturers could voluntarily supply 3 of the reviewers with
any new model whistle they wish to offer
to the marketplace. Anyone can
of course still post any comments
they wish but this would raise
the bar a little bit and be
reliable information especially
for beginners & newbies.
More ideas? What do think, Dale?
I'll be quiet now!

Kelhorn Mike
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

I don't believe this....Next thing ya know all the whistle makers will be scrambling to assemble their own PAC's. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Loren
Kelhorn Mike

Post by Kelhorn Mike »

Of Course Loren,
Didn't expect you would like it. A
little fair play isn't up your alley,
is it?
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Board of Reviewers? I am against it. I am against any such kind of formalism, and wouldn't want to let the beauty of free-flowing messageboardism go.

The only point of such an institution would be to lend weight to the Official Review. But if someone sees a whistle review here on the board, the interested reader can go and check out the reviewer. All the old posts are here and the search function is but a click away. A little search would reveal that Loren used to own more whistles anyone, with the exception of Dale and perhaps JessieK, and that he is very careful in his reviews as well as less timid than others in expressing negative opinions. It would reveal the Brother Steve has the best whistle tutorial on the web and probably knows what he is talking about. If someone read my review of the Mk III or the VSB/SB D comparison and wanted to know who it is that's speaking, they'd find a lot of silly posts and would know not to afford my views much weight. You get from a message board what you are willing to put into it, and I don't see a need to pander to the one-time poster who can't even be bothered to find the reviews on the main page, let alone run a search.

And there is another point: Mike Kellhorn has griped about "unqualified" negative reviews here on the board. How would he feel if the the official, formally elected and constituted, international and authoritative Board of Reviewers stated that Susato whistles tend to be out of tune with themselves? Don't tell me it couldn't happen, there've been several "unqualified" complaints about that. It wouldn't be pretty. And an "only-positive" Board of Reviewers would be a perversity.

I think on sober reflection whistle smiths should consider themselves blessed with the online whistle community the way it is and they should pray that Dale doesn't wake up cranky one morning.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bloomfield on 2002-08-09 15:25 ]</font>
John Allison

Post by John Allison »

I see two major problems with whistle reporting on the board.

<ol>
<li>People will not be open and honest about their opinions. If someone does not like something about a whistle they will either keep it to themselves so say <i>email me privately to find out the truth</i>. It's not libelous to state an opinion with supporting evidence.</li>
<li><i>One man's trash is another man's treasure.</i> We don't all share the same likes and dislikes in whistles. The Whistle Review Board would have to be much larger than 5 people taking into account various levels of player proficiency and tastes.</li>
</ol>

I wholeheartedly disagree with Azalin's comments about whistle buyers being suckers (my words). You order a whistle, pay the money, and then wait for it to be made and delivered. That's just the way the business works. A whistle maker who delivers free whistles and then says <i>pay me if you like it</i> would probably go out of business quite quickly.

In the past I have stupidly stated that we should pass whistles around and let everyone try-before-you-buy. A whistle lending-library. This is seeming to be less stupid each time I think of it. But it is not without it's pitfalls as well. Can you trust sending whistles to strangers who may or may not take excellent car of them for a couple of days? Will you ever see your whistles again? Again, it all boils down to honesty and trust.
ScottStewart

Post by ScottStewart »

John said
A whistle maker who delivers free whistles and then says pay me if you like it would probably go out of business quite quickly.

Actually, John Sindt sends the whistle with a bill. You then send the payment to him. He has gained a lot of respect doing this.
Image Scott

"Peace is not defined by the absence of war."
ysgwd

Post by ysgwd »

My eyes roll with Loren's. Lets not get bureaucratic about all this.

Next time I'm thinking of buying a particular whistle make, I will post the following:

I'm thinking of buying a ________________.
Please email me any caveats.

Lisa
ysgwd

Post by ysgwd »

[quote]

If someone read my review of the Mk III or the VSB/SB D comparison and wanted to know who it is that's speaking, they'd find a lot of silly posts and would know not to afford my views much weight. --Bloomfield
[quote]

I might just want a silly whistle.

Lisa

People could email me caviar instead of caveats....

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ysgwd on 2002-08-09 16:17 ]</font>
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Some of you folk are very fickle and seem to enjoy de-constructing ideas more than presenting your own.

A problem was stated and I suggested a possible solution. Did you? Or do you think its a problem at all? Dale did so I responded.

I want to point out that some of the same people who object to these proposed limits and moderators contributed to the formation of the new Forum, which has limits and some degree of self moderation.

And Lisa complained about a bad experience on the other Thread but now is backing off from a possible form of protection.......She wanted to state the name of the builder who gave her trouble which is more inflammatory even than my lousy jokes.

I like all of you guys but I feel that some may be playing both sides of the issue just for fun, I guess. It wasn't fun for Dale or he wouldn't have posted an apology.

Glenn Schulz sends the whistle out unpaid, if you don't like it, you send it back. He's pretty respected and well-known...
Best to all.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: The Weekenders on 2002-08-09 17:00 ]</font>