Attn beginners: re the Bill Ochs tute book

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
buddhu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Attn beginners: re the Bill Ochs tute book

Post by buddhu »

After reading good things here I bought the Clarke / Bill Ochs book and CD and I'm very glad I did.

If you're looking for a starting point for learning tin whistle, or even something for a fairly advanced beginner this must be it. The book is full of history, information, great lessons and a selection of tunes. It also features about the most understandable introduction to ornamentation I've seen to date.

To be honest I think the book without the CD would be of little use to a beginner, but then the same is true of any tutorial book. Personally I found Och's book to be vastly more helpful than Geraldine Cotter's book/CD (no criticism of GC's book, it's just that the Clarke one suited me much better).

The introduction to music for non music readers is clear, and in conjunction with the CD should give a sound foundation.

If I have a criticism it is that the different rhythms for jigs, reels, slip jigs, hornpipes etc etc are not explained quite as clearly as I have seen elsewhere - however they are explained, and by listening to the CD and reading the music in the book (most pieces are labelled reel, jig or whatever) the nature of each style should soon become clear.

If I have a suggestion for beginners buying this book/CD (which is also available in a pack which includes a Clarke Original D whistle) it is to buy a Clarke Sweetone to learn on rather than use the Clarke original. The Sweetone is very similar to the Original (conical tin tube construction) so everything that applies to playing the original should pretty much apply - however the Sweetone is an easier instrument to learn on, and may make it easier to adjust to the majority of other cheap beginner's whistles.

http://www.pennywhistle.com/index.html
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
OnTheMoor

Post by OnTheMoor »

I'm with buddhu. I've been using the book for a month now and I've found it really helpful. My advice would be not to skip over anything, tunes are all arranged, it seems to me, to gradually develop your playing. Learning tune by tune I've seen a real improvement in my finger agility and it's getting alot easier to switch octaves. When it comes to the whistle, I use a Walton and am having no problems at all (plus it means that when my playing doesn't sound right I can conveniently blame it on the whistle).
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

OnTheMoor wrote: When it comes to the whistle, I use a Walton and am having no problems at all (plus it means that when my playing doesn't sound right I can conveniently blame it on the whistle).
I happen to have spent yesterdayafternoon playing tunes in my kitchen with Bill Ochs He played a Walton C, I don't really think there's anything you can blame on the whistle :twisted:
Robert G

So where can I find a good source...

Post by Robert G »

Buddhu wrote the following about the Ochs tutor:

If I have a criticism it is that the different rhythms for jigs, reels, slip jigs, hornpipes etc etc are not explained quite as clearly as I have seen elsewhere...

My question is: Where can I find one definitive source that correctly and understandably describes the rhythms for jigs, reels, slip jigs, hornpipes, etc. There must be some book or website out there with the information. Up to now I have found only scattered and confusing information on the web. Di-dle-ly dum-de, the Ochs tutor helped some. Would someone please point me in the right direction?
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

The problem is that the swing or lilt of these tunes cannot accurately be described in musical notation.

I think Grey Larsen's book comes as close as anything can on paper, but to "get" these tunes, you really have to listen to them.

There is no substitute for listening.

As far as the basic layout of the tune types:

Single jig: 6/8 time, preponderance of quarter-eighth figures

Double jig: 6/8 time, preponderance of three-eighth-note figures per beat

Slip jig: 9/8 time

Slide: 12/8 time

Reel: 4/4 time, fast, one strongly accented beat per measure with one or more weaker offbeat accents per measure. Can be played with a swinging lilt or with a straight driving beat, depending on reel and artist.

Hornpipe: 4/4 time, slightly slower than a reel, with a more pronounced swing. Has a characteristic cadence figure of three quarter notes or a subdivision of three quarter notes.

There are also other tune types, such as the waltz (three beats per measure, first beat carries the strong accent), the mazurka (three beats per measure, second beat carries the strong accent), the German or barndance (similar to a heavily-swung hornpipe but can be longer and have more than an A and a B part), the Fling (based on the Scottish strathspey and sometimes keeps its characteristic Scottish Snap), the Polka (2/4 time, 1 accented beat per measure), and there are still more.

--James
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

I also bought the book and CD about a month ago. I wish I had bought it a year ago. I have been working through it step by step. I am making more progress than I have at any time since I started. I play my untweaked Clare D most of the time but I ocassionally play a Generation or even my Susato. I like the way the Susato plays but not the way it sounds. For the first time since I started I am able to play along after a fashion BTW Peter I could never complain about the sound of my whistle if I was playing in the west of Clare.

Ron
OnTheMoor

Post by OnTheMoor »

Peter Laban wrote:
OnTheMoor wrote: When it comes to the whistle, I use a Walton and am having no problems at all (plus it means that when my playing doesn't sound right I can conveniently blame it on the whistle).
I happen to have spent yesterdayafternoon playing tunes in my kitchen with Bill Ochs He played a Walton C, I don't really think there's anything you can blame on the whistle :twisted:
Damn you Peter, now what the hell am I supposed to do!?
Darwin

Re: So where can I find a good source...

Post by Darwin »

Robert G wrote:Buddhu wrote the following about the Ochs tutor:

If I have a criticism it is that the different rhythms for jigs, reels, slip jigs, hornpipes etc etc are not explained quite as clearly as I have seen elsewhere...

My question is: Where can I find one definitive source that correctly and understandably describes the rhythms for jigs, reels, slip jigs, hornpipes, etc. There must be some book or website out there with the information. Up to now I have found only scattered and confusing information on the web. Di-dle-ly dum-de, the Ochs tutor helped some. Would someone please point me in the right direction?
Brother Steve's site at http://www.rogermillington.com/siamsa/brosteve/ does a pretty nice job on jigs, as well as containing lots of other good tips and samples.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
rodfish
antispam: No

Post by rodfish »

I just recently purchased the book (Ebay) but unfortunately it didn't come with the CD. Does anyone know where I can get the CD without having to purchase the book again? :-?

Thanks,

Rod
"A word aptly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver."
Bloomfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

rodfish wrote:I just recently purchased the book (Ebay) but unfortunately it didn't come with the CD. Does anyone know where I can get the CD without having to purchase the book again? :-?

Thanks,

Rod
Drop Bill Ochs an email, and ask him. He should be back from Ireland by Thursday. See www.pennywhistle.com for the email
/Bloomfield
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
sheryl_coleman

Post by sheryl_coleman »

rodfish wrote:I just recently purchased the book (Ebay) but unfortunately it didn't come with the CD. Does anyone know where I can get the CD without having to purchase the book again? :-?

Thanks,

Rod
I believe The Whistle Shop will sell the cassette separately, you could ask about the CD: http://www.thewhistleshop.com

Have fun! I really like this book too.

Sheryl
rodfish

Post by rodfish »

Thanks all!

I'll check those resources. (It is a good book)
:)

Rod
rodfish

Post by rodfish »

Drop Bill Ochs an email, and ask him. He should be back from Ireland by Thursday. See www.pennywhistle.com for the email[/quote]

Thanks Bloomfield, his website had a link to order the CD separately. It is done. :party:

Rod
Mongoose of Righteousness

Post by Mongoose of Righteousness »

Reel: sound like early Irish rock-and-roll in 4/4 time

Hornpipe: Also in 4/4 time, but sounds like a tune from a Popeye cartoon, or something that should be played on an instrument cranked by a blind man with a monkey.