Burke vs Chieftain

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Donn
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Burke vs Chieftain

Post by Donn »

:-? I'll probably get a lot of different answers on this one, but which would you prefer and why? Is one easier to play than the other? What about the 2d octave? Read somewhere that if that person were to choose between any whistle, it would be the Burke. Don't know where I read it and who said it.
I'm a beginner and am looking for something beyond the Mellow Dog and Susato.
Thanks
Donn
riverman

Post by riverman »

Congratulations for moving up to a finer whistle! Once you try a custom whistle, you'll never look back! I have never played a Chieftan, but Burkes are sweet, forgiving, moderate in volume, easy in the second octave, unsqueaky, and FINE!
"Whoever comes to me I will never drive away." --Jesus Christ.
Theo

Post by Theo »

riverman wrote:Congratulations for moving up to a finer whistle! Once you try a custom whistle, you'll never look back! I have never played a Chieftan, but Burkes are sweet, forgiving, moderate in volume, easy in the second octave, unsqueaky, and FINE!
Whereas Chieftains take loads of air, are unforgiving and are very loud. They make you nearly pass out trying to hit the high B. But the low Chieftains have that Cosmic Drainpipe effect, which is something my Burke doesn't have. The high ones have a richness of tone as well.

So, in short, it depends a lot on what you're looking for in a whistle! I'd say: Chieftains: loud and rich, Burke: moderately loud and very pure.
jkrazy52

Post by jkrazy52 »

Donn, you probably will get a lot of opinions. The only real way to tell which you prefer is to try them. I've played a couple of Chieftains, and a couple of Burkes. IMO (in my opinion), Burkes are a lot easier to play, particlarly in the 2nd octave, as a beginner. On the other hand, a Chieftain, in the right player's hands, will play beautifully. I was told, as a beginner, that Overtons & Chieftains were designed more for "power" players. It's been true in my experience.

A couple of other choices for possible whistles to try ... Dixon & Alba. Dixon was my "next whistle beyond" ... and it's still one of my favorites. Alba has it's own personality (much like it's maker), and another of my favorites.

Judy
StewySmoot

Post by StewySmoot »

I preferred a Chieftain simply because it was more fun to play, meaning it boils down to personal preference.
I just went thru the scales on all my Low Ds and the upper octave on the Chieftain is not difficult at all. High B (and above) seems linear to the rest of the notes below it.
<a href="http://www.whistletotheworld.com/" target="_blank"> Whistle to the World</a>
Helping underprivileged kids learn music via the Irish Whistle.
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

Suck it and see (or in this case blow it and see). It's personal preference. I find that my fave whistle will change from week to week depending on what I'm playing and how I'm feeling.
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
Theo

Post by Theo »

StewySmoot wrote:High B (and above) seems linear to the rest of the notes below it.
You're right, of course. I just meant to say that the increase in amount of air needed to blow the note is considerable by the time you get to the high B. And the best advice given is indeed, give both a try. :party:
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Of course the answer is that you need both! They are both super whistles.
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

I was surprised when I saw that particular pairing to choose from - they are im most ways at the opposite ends of the whistle playing spectrum. Most people I think wind up playing consistently one "type" or the other. However, most people also have probably experimented with both through the years. I've played both over the years and once had a full set of Overtons (which I'd put in the general Chieftain type) and then sold them off (only to recently acquire a high D for the collection). I prefer Burkes, Abells, Copelands, Reyburns, Busmans, O'Riordans, Humphreys, Black Diamonds, Sindts...you see there are lots to choose from.

As to the Burke - a wonderful jump to a better class of whistle. My Burke black tip brass D remains over the past 2 years my work horse whistle.

Get one...then another....then another....WHOA is you brother. :D

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
dwinterfield

Post by dwinterfield »

I'm a dedicated Burke player, so I'm biased. A year or two back, I bought an alleged Chieftain E flat off e-bay. Not a very good whistle and not fun to play. In fact it's so bad I've often suspected it may be a knock-off. I just went to the Chieftain web site and it shows where I might find some initials. I'll look when I get home tonight. I guess the moral of my story is that one should buy directly from the maker, if possible. If not, stick with reputable dealers. Be very, very careful of high-end used whistles. I gather from this site that counterfits have been a particular problem for Chietain and Overton.

Having looked at Phil's web site, I have suggestions for him and others selling on the web. 1) Please provide several close-up, non-artistic photos of each whistle or other product. 2) Provide unadorned sound clips. On at least two occasions I've made and internet purchase based on sound clips. By that I mean 2 sellers provided clips and 6 didn't. The 6 who didn't, didn't make the final cut. 3) Provide a way to disable the flash player stuff.
Butterfly

Post by Butterfly »

If you're a beginner, just get a Burke :) It makes you sound like you're no beginner anymore.
:) Rini
Unseen122
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I actually just made this decision for a new Bb. I needed one that was not too expensive, loud enough to play in a Jazz Ensemble, and tonally good. I was originally thinking the Cheiftian, but I tend to clog those really easily.

Yes, the sound is different. A Burke is sweet and purer, less wind noise and less texture to the tone. Burkes also take way less push in the upper octave. Cheiftians are a very powerful Whistle in the high range, I have never been a fan of the higher ones. The tone is rough, textured, multi tonal, more nasal, and brighter. Noticing that you play Susatos a Cheiftian won't be hard to manage if you are used to those. If you are used to the Mellow Dog, a Burke is probably the way to go. I used to have a DASBT, which was not really my cup of tea. Too pure, it sounded sterile. The Brass Burkes I have played have all amazed me. I have never played his composite models. My recommendation if you like the Burke relm is to go with the DBSBT. Of course if you like power and value a rought textured tone, the Cheiftian is the way to go.

I ended up going with the Burke Bb Brass, it arrived yesterday right in time for practice. I am super happy with it. Not sterile like the DASBT, not commanding like a Cheiftian. Some hints of Chiff here and there. A low register that can be leaned into. Visually appealing. Loud enough, but it will never hurt my ears. Sweet pure tone with the warmth and texture of Brass. It can be played with more edge. Seriously close to being perfect, it goes at the top of my list next to a Sindt C, Busman Olivewood D, and Sweetheart Pro D.

All in all the desicion is up to you, I have given you what I think should help you make your decision. Please, don't think because I am so pleased with my Burke Bb that you will be pleased as pleased with the same whistle.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Maybe the Chieftain D has changed, but when I played one
I thought the top was way too loud, almost acrid. I like
these in lower keys. My two cents.
Whitmores75087

Post by Whitmores75087 »

I strongly recommend the new Burke composite. The sound (to my ear) is not as sterile as the old aluminum one I bought a few years ago. In fact I love the tone. It takes more push in the upper end, which I prefer, but not so much that you'll get blue in the face.
Short bio: 1952-
Donn

Burke or Chieftain

Post by Donn »

Thanks everyone for your comments about the Burke and Chieftain. I was leaning towards the Burke from the reviews I read. Get both? I'm not that rich! Even the Burke is a little steep for me right now. Maybe I can find one that someone wants to get rid of. But from what you say about it, that's not likely.
Again, thanks all especially Judy, Phil and Rini. Your comments well taken.
Donn