A newbie looking for help

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
celticangel
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

A newbie looking for help

Post by celticangel »

Hi I'm a newbie and a whistle wannabe. I am new to celtic music and have recently fell in love with it. Could anybody recommend a good beginners book to learn on my own? Also could anyone recommend a good D whistle. Thanks so much.

Debbie
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: A newbie looking for help

Post by brewerpaul »

Check out Bill Ochs' "The Clarke Tin Whistle". It's a book/cd combo that starts you at zero, gradually teaches you to read music (not difficult!) and progresses through simple to complex tunes, complete with ornamentation. The CD lets you hear how each lesson should sound.
You don't have to use an actual Clarke whistle-- any decent D whistle will do.
C&F member Jerry Freeman sells "tweaked" (aka improved) Generation whistles which are highly regarded. He has an eBay store, with D whistles in the $30ish dollar range.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
maki

Post by maki »

Welcome and hello.
Celtic music is really a marketing term.
There is Irish, Scottish, Welsh, and Bretton traditional music with more or less overlap.
Who do you listen to?

I'll give Pauls post a ditto.
Brent Lyons

Post by Brent Lyons »

Its not a book, but I recommend Blayne Chastain's online tutelage. I wish that I would have subscribed to it before I had learned all of those bad habits! As you progress, also consider Grey Larson's "The Essential Guide To Irish Flute And Tin Whistle" - another great reference!

For a whistle you don't need to spend a lot but do get something better than just mass produced. Jerry Freeman takes off-the-shelf whistles and does wonders with them for a very reasonable price. Tony Dixon also has products that are a very good value.

And, finally, welcome!
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

Welcome to the Chiff & Fipple Whistle Forum. We're all newbie-ish and wannabe-ish whistlers in one way or another. Don't let anyone around here fool you... its a continuous learning process. :) And keep it fun, its not a chore... practice and lots of listening. Then some more listening.

Any of the whistles key of D will get you going. Jerry Freeman has been mentioned above and he tweaks (fine tunes) decent whistles. Here is Jerry's website. Not listed but available is a Jerry Freeman tweaked Bluebird key of D whistle. That's my daily practice whistle. Love it. You can contact Jerry thru the store or PM him here on C&F. Jerry pops in every now and then.

http://stores.ebay.com/freemanwhistles

The whistle forum is a wonderful resource so use it, ask for help, use the search tool and enjoy the whistling.
Mikethebook
Tell us something.: May 2022, I'm a second-time beginner to the whistle and low whistle after a three-year gap due to a chest injury brought to an end twelve years of playing. I've started on a high whistle and much is coming back quickly but it will be a while before I can manage a Low D again where my interest really lies. I chiefly love slow airs rather than dance tunes and am a fan of the likes of Davy Spillane, Eoin Duignan, Fred Morrison and Paddy Keenan.

Post by Mikethebook »

Its more expensive but Mary Bergin's new tutor is second to none. It comes with CDs to guide you through learning and purchase of her beautifully printed books entitles you to membership of her on-line "club" which will have many more free learning opportunities. I wish I'd been able to buy her book when I first started. It is amazingly thorough in its teaching not surprising given Mary's reputation as a performer and teacher. Check out http://www.marybergin.com.

Blayne Chastain's on-line tutelage is great too but I would start with Mary's books as a structured course which Blayne's tuition isn't.
Mr.Nate

Post by Mr.Nate »

Hello Newbie,

If you like Irish music then I would recommend this tutor.

http://www.amazon.com/Cathal-McConnell- ... +mcconnell

Cathal McConnell Teaches Pennywhistle : A Hands-On Course in Traditional Irish Repertoire and Technique [Paperback]

16.63$

It comes with a Cd and it is like getting private lessons from a famous Irish musician!

Cheers,

Nate
Whistling in the Rockies!!
maki

Post by maki »

Don't forget O.A.I.M, the Online Academy of Irish Music.
It's more expensive per month than Blayne Chastain, but just as good for Whistles.
An add benefit it that they teach multiple isntruments

Free OAIM lessons here for a taste;
http://www.oaim.ie/free-lessons/whistle

Blayne Chastains free lessons;
www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgWIBcYV_MY‎Cached
Similar
Tor

Post by Tor »

Mikethebook wrote: Check out http://www.marybergin.com.
That's a different Mary.. the correct link is http://www.maryberginwhistle.com/
Mikethebook
Tell us something.: May 2022, I'm a second-time beginner to the whistle and low whistle after a three-year gap due to a chest injury brought to an end twelve years of playing. I've started on a high whistle and much is coming back quickly but it will be a while before I can manage a Low D again where my interest really lies. I chiefly love slow airs rather than dance tunes and am a fan of the likes of Davy Spillane, Eoin Duignan, Fred Morrison and Paddy Keenan.

Post by Mikethebook »

Oops! Thanks Tor.
celticangel

Post by celticangel »

Thank you so much for all your information. I do have a Clarke D with a wooden Fipple. I just don't like it. I also have a Generation D and I'm not keen on that one either. I ordered a Parks whistle simply because I can muffle the sound. It's not pleasant to anyone's ears. My boyfriend plays bagpipes in Highland games and I just became interested in the whistle listening to music in the beer tent :lol:
Debbie
maki

Post by maki »

celticangel wrote:Thank you so much for all your information. I do have a Clarke D with a wooden Fipple. I just don't like it. I also have a Generation D and I'm not keen on that one either. I ordered a Parks whistle simply because I can muffle the sound. It's not pleasant to anyone's ears. My boyfriend plays bagpipes in Highland games and I just became interested in the whistle listening to music in the beer tent :lol:
Debbie
I think that you'll love your Parks Whistle.
Good pick.
mickey66
Tell us something.: I am a Professional Musician in Phx, Az. Lived in Calif(Hollywood) for about 10 years(1970's) working in the studios and on the road with stars of the day. Started to follow my roots which took me back to the old country and the Irish Tin Whistle. I wound up here on C&F forum!

Post by mickey66 »

Book/ CD....Bill Ochs' "The Clarke Tin Whistle"..... whistle's.....Any Jerry Freeman tweaked whistle in D, Clarke sweetone D, Feadog Pro D, Oak D, Clare brass D. Good luck!!!