Low-whistles you own, and favorite ones in each key?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Chino
antispam: No

Low-whistles you own, and favorite ones in each key?

Post by Chino »

Well, OK, I presume there are 1853 topics asking the same thing, but, hmm, I'm a newbie (a french one), so I don't want to read the 526 pages! :oops:

Ok, here we go: how much low-whistles do you own, which one and what are in your opinion the best low-whistles in each key, at least your favorite ones? :tomato:

As far I'm concerned, I've got:

- Overton Low A made by Colin Goldie;
- "Traveller" Low G made by Pat O'Riordan
- Overton Low F made by Colin Goldie (And I'm on the waiting list for a MK low F)
- Overton Low Eb made by Colin Goldie
- Overton Low D made by Colin Goldie
- Brass Low D made by Michael Copeland
- Black MK Low D made by Misha Sommerville
- Overton Low C made by Colin Goldie
- Overton Low Bb made by Colin Goldie

- I don't tried other A than my Goldie's, cause it's not a low-whitle I play very often (maybe it's too short for me).

- The Traveller Low G is marvellous, but I'd like to try a Copeland one. And I'd like Misha Sommerville makes Low G again! Is someone plays on an MK Low G? I heard very good things on Chris Abell Low G too.

- My Overton Low F is really great. I tried an MK Low F, and it's fantastic as well, that's why I'm on the waiting list (for a red one). I don't know other Low F. Some opinions?

- My Overton Eb (non tuneable) is superb, but I've never tried other Low Eb.

- Well, now, the Low D.... I've got an Overton (non tuneable) , a brass Copeland and a black MK. The three are amazing, although really different. I use one of them according to my feeling. The Copeland is maybe the one I prefer, but I'm not sure, coz the E is a bit weak for me, but it's an incredible instrument. What a sound! :o And what about the MK? I don't know what to say. It's maybe the better, that's all what I can say, but i haven't played it enough. Why? Because I'm affraid it will be my main instrument.
But my Overton is great, it's the low I most played. Whatever, the 3 are fantastic instruments. What do you think?

- Low C: my Overton is great, but as the Bb, I've never tried other makers.

So if you could say what are for you the best Low whistles in each key, I think it could be useful for those who want spend money (too much money as far as I'm concerned!) in a long tube with holes. :D

Excuse me in advance if this topic is redundant. If it's the case, you can delete it. :wink:

Chino
projektio28

Re: Low-whistles you own, and favorite ones in each key?

Post by projektio28 »

I'm still stuck on my Kerry Songbird Low D. It's a great whistle for a number of reasons. It has a breathy, tonal quality that I enjoy hearing in it's first octave. To a greater extent I love the finger hole spacings, because I have large hands and long fingers which never seem to rest comfortably on most Low D whistles I've tried. I enjoy using it for performing live and it sounds great when recorded with a little Lexicon reverb for that "haunting" sound!

Coincidentally, I just sold my Burke Aluminum Viper Low D to a dear friend recently. I truly LOVE the Burke higher key whistles (D, C, Bb) and figured since I loved those so much, that I'd love the Viper. Reality sunk it when I realized that the finger spacings were VERY uncomfortable in my hands. The holes were smaller than on the Songbird which I assumed would be even easier, but they had quite the opposite effect.

I hope to try some others in the future, but I will NEVER sell my Songbird. I love it too much! :D

Matt
"The grey rain-curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass, and then you see it. White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise." - J.R.R. Tolkien
StarRider

Post by StarRider »

Hi.
My fave 3 Low whistles right now are: Dixon Aluminum Bb (not really low ;) ...) , Dixon polymer Low E and my ABSOLUTE fave...my Alba Low G.
I usually don't like anything above Low A... But the Aluminum Bb is a really wide bore for a Bb, so it doesn't have that shrill 2nd octave.
The Low E has that warm, full Low whistle 1st octave, and a full bell note. The finger-spacing is nice and reachable for a Low E, so it's very playable for a little faster tunes!
The Alba Low G is my fave, because it has a warm, full sound...but that special Alba richness. It's an absolutely great player, an even better looker (with a beautiful Celtic engraving!). :thumbsup:
pancelticpiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I currently have, in order of pitch, lowest to highest:

Susato keyless bentneck Low C
MK Low D
Susatos in Low Eb, E, F#, and Ab.
Burkes in Low F, G, and A.

My goal is to have Burkes in Low C, C#, Eb, E, F, F#, G, Ab, A, and Bb at some point. They tend to be my favourites in various keys except for Low D where I prefer the MK.

In Low Ds I've owned a few Overtons, a brass Copeland, a Reviol, a Burke, a Susato, a Kerry, a Howard, a Shaw, and I don't remember what else.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
PhilO
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by PhilO »

I have a bunch of low whistles which I hardly play as I am working almost exclusively these days with high D, include various keys down to Low D, Copelands, O'Riordans, Abells, Burkes, Water Weasels, Chieftains, Susatos. That said, my favorites are 2 G whistles - O'Riordan Traveler and Copeland brass; and these 2 couldn't be less alike. The O'Riordan has a velvety smooth heavenly tone and the Copeland is a throaty gravely jazz like thing. They just may be my 2 favorite whistles of any key.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Byll
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

Ah, PhilO... We so often agree. My A and G O'Riordan Travelers are two of the most satisfying instruments that I own. Nothing else plays like them. Nothing else sounds like them. I also enjoy my old gray A Water Weasel, for its complex timbre. While my daughter plays Water Weasels with our band, my old gray A helps to keep the memory of Glenn alive, for me.

I own one low F. It is an aluminum Burke. In its low end, it sounds like an excellent flute. In the future, I hope to also own an MK low F.

My low Ds are Overton and MK. They both simply sit comfortably at the top of my low whistle food chain. Difference? Of course... If I want the cosmic drainpipe, I reach for the Goldie Overton. If I want excellent playability and dependability on stage, I reach for either. Simple... I sold an excellent Burke Brass Viper to my whistle-smith friend in South Africa. Because of a botched surgery in the past two years, my old 'air supply' is not what it once was... While the Viper does not require an inordinate amount of air, it became a bit much for me to handle, comfortably. That is my fault, not the whistle's... Oh, how I miss the Viper's rock solid playability.

And lastly, I truly enjoy my low C Goldie. It is a beast, and positively growls, on the bottom end. Playing it has had a result that I did not anticipate. My low Ds now feel like toys, by comparison...

Best to all.
Byll
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
JTC111

Post by JTC111 »

low A Guido Gonzato
I like this whistle a lot. It plays easy and the value is outstanding. It's very light weight so it makes a great carrying around whistle. Tonally, it's uncomplicated but very sweet. I'm sure I'll be adding more GGs to the pile.

low F Copeland
This is a great sounding whistle, but the large B2 hole combined with the conical shape makes it hard for me to play cleanly. For now, I'll attribute the problem to my lack of whistling skills. Perhaps someday I'll be able to coax some nice stuff out of her. Ask me again in 2014.

low Eb Overton
This is the low whistle I enjoy playing the most. The tone is round and full, it fits my hands well, and I produce minimal squawking.

low D MK (in BLUE)
I've only had this whistle less than a week, so I'm still getting a feel for her. First impressions are very good though. She gives a bit more chiff than the Overton Eb, but the chiff is very musical (if that makes any sense to anyone). To my ears, the sound is more complex than the other low whistles I own. I think once I get used to the longer B2/B3 stretch, this might become my fav amongst the lows.

low D "new Kerry"
It's priced right for someone who's buying their first low whistle (which is why I have one) but you need lungs like an elephant to play it. The tone of the whistle is the only thing that stops me from selling it. It really does have a beautiful sound. This is another whistle that I'll have to reevaluate in a couple of three years or so to see if my skill level gets to the point where I can play it well.

low C Overton (sale pending)
It's a monster and I don't think my fingers are long enough that I'll ever get to where I can play this comfortably, thus I put it up for sale on the instrument forum. I do like the tone of this as much as I do my Eb Overton. I wish I had longer fingers.
Jim

I wish I were a Lord Mayor, a Marquis or an Earl
And blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl
Blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl

http://www.jimcaputo.com
Chino

Post by Chino »

Thanks a lot for all those infos guys.

pancelticpiper wrote:
My goal is to have Burkes in Low C, C#, Eb, E, F, F#, G, Ab, A, and Bb at some point.
I heard very good things about the Burke, but I've never played it. Too bad, I love the flutey sound on whistles, like on the Copelands.

I like very much the Eb key. I've got a great Overton Eb (made by Colin Goldie), but maybe I'll buy a Burke low Eb (maybe a brass one). Is it an excellent whistle for this specific key?
PhilO wrote: That said, my favorites are 2 G whistles - O'Riordan Traveler and Copeland brass; and these 2 couldn't be less alike. The O'Riordan has a velvety smooth heavenly tone and the Copeland is a throaty gravely jazz like thing. They just may be my 2 favorite whistles of any key.

Philo
I had an O'Riodan Traveller Low G, which was indeed marvellous. A real winner. Unfortunately, it was stolen some years ago... And I don't play a lot low G. But I've found an other Traveller Low G to sell, and... Well, I bought it. :oops:

But I've never tried a low G Copeland. I love the Copleand whistles (my brass Low D is amazing), so if I find a Copleand Low G one day, I think I'm gonna buy it! :D

Is the Abell Low G excellent as well?
Byll wrote:
I own one low F. It is an aluminum Burke. In its low end, it sounds like an excellent flute. In the future, I hope to also own an MK low F.

My low Ds are Overton and MK. They both simply sit comfortably at the top of my low whistle food chain. Difference? Of course... If I want the cosmic drainpipe, I reach for the Goldie Overton. If I want excellent playability and dependability on stage, I reach for either. Simple... I sold an excellent Burke Brass Viper to my whistle-smith friend in South Africa. Because of a botched surgery in the past two years, my old 'air supply' is not what it once was... While the Viper does not require an inordinate amount of air, it became a bit much for me to handle, comfortably. That is my fault, not the whistle's... Oh, how I miss the Viper's rock solid playability.

And lastly, I truly enjoy my low C Goldie. It is a beast, and positively growls, on the bottom end. Playing it has had a result that I did not anticipate. My low Ds now feel like toys, by comparison...

Best to all.
Byll
I'm on the waiting list for a red MK low F. I've got a great Overton Low F, very precise and easy to play, I love it.

I agree with you Byll regarding the Low D. :wink:

And I've got an Overton Low C which I love as well. I needed some time to be relax on it, but it's OK now, I can play whitout suffering now! :lol: And it's a great key, and a great whistle (yes, try again JTC!!!)