Useful Android Apps?

Oxymorons "R" Us
Forum rules
Please see forum announcement for description and rules!
colomon
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Useful Android Apps?

Post by colomon »

Hi all,

I just got a Droid phone last week, and I'm trying to figure out what apps I, as a modern trad musician, should be getting. I know there is at least one other Andriod user out there on the board, and searching for "ABC" is incredibly unhelpful.

For sure I know I'd like good recording and tuning apps. There's an iPhone app which knows thousands of tunes, and another which can listen to someone playing a snippet and do a database search; are there Android equivalents? (Also, what are those iPhone apps? If nothing has been done so far, I'd be interested in trying to port their software to the Android.)

I suspect, given the Android's generally lacking multitouch capabilities, it's too much to hope for an equivalent of Eskin's instrument apps. I'd love to see a crude version of the original pipe drone app ported, though...

Are there other app sorts I'm not thinking of?

Thanks in advance...
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
Cathy Wilde

Re: Useful Android Apps?

Post by Cathy Wilde »

I haven't updated my Android apps for a while, but I've gotten some use out of Musical Lite, which has a metronome and pitch-pipe tuner. I've also used Droid Record and Ringdroid to make little wee clips. I suppose if I'd venture beyond the land of the "Free" I might find better-featured things, but I haven't. AFAIK there's no TunePal-like app for Droid. :-(

It seems easier to find apps on the Droid website on your computer and then go from there.

In the meantime, I've used my Droid's browser to go to drawthedots.com for some Java ABC fun and that's not too bad.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
chrisoff

Post by chrisoff »

GStrings is an excellent guitar tuner
Gigbox for finding gigs nearby
Metronome as a, well, metronome.

There's loads of sythesizers and other instrument apps on the store but I imagine they're mostly of the "that's a nice toy for a couple of minutes" variety rather than anything useful.

There's also an app called voice recorder for recording short clips.
mmulqueen

Post by mmulqueen »

The guy who developed tunepal for the iPhone is working on a version for android now. This tunepal site says it should be available in the next couple of weeks.

http://tunepal.wordpress.com/
Tamadden

Post by Tamadden »

mmulqueen wrote:The guy who developed tunepal for the iPhone is working on a version for android now. This tunepal site says it should be available in the next couple of weeks.

http://tunepal.wordpress.com/
Hiya Matt!

Great seeing you in the Catskills last week.

I just downloaded the Tunepal app from the Android Marketplace. Can't wait to try it out against some of the CDs I picked up last week - will have to wait until after work.

All the best,

Tom
Tamadden

Post by Tamadden »

One Android app I use a lot is "A Online Radio". This gives you access to radio stations streaming over the internet.

Recently I had the experience of sitting on my back porch in New Jersey, USA, listening to Mike Rafferty being interviewed via telephone from his home just a few miles away. The show was Martin Donohoe's "The Wind that Blows" on Shannonside Northern Sound Radio, Ireland. I was listening on my android phone. Way cool.

All the best,

Tom