Low F Whistle quest

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Ellen
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: It started with a whistle, then a low whistle (love them). Will try the flute. Now I'm mostly with my harp.

Low F Whistle quest

Post by Ellen »

I am in search for a Low F whistle (after my A whistle the next step towards the 'Lows').

Would you like to share some of your experiences with your Low Fs?

I am undecided yet what whistle to get. At the moment I cannot afford a Goldie, Chieftain or MK etc., but would like to hear about them all the same. Also about Shaw's, Alba's, Dixon's ...

Maybe, perhaps ... somebody might like to send a rarely played specimen to a new home :wink: ?? (Though I don't expect it - too nice a key :) )

All the best,
Ellen
Last edited by Ellen on Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BigDavy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Low F Whistle quest

Post by BigDavy »

Hi Ellen

I love the sound of my Dixon polymer low F, but the nicest one I have ever tried was a MK low F - but good luck getting one of those.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
ecohawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by ecohawk »

Ellen,

I own two low F whistles. One is a Brass Chieftain and the other an Aluminum by Domnahl (Daniel) Na Gruen of Scotland. Both are good whistles but very different sounding. The Chieftain is heavier, louder and slightly quicker to respond. When Daniel's whistle is fully warmed up though, it reminds you of what low whistles are about. It has a slightly breathy and hauntingly rich sound. I like them both but reach for Daniel's whistle more often since I tend to play airs with it and the tone seems more appropriate. If I were going to play in a loud session or was working on Jigs/Reels I would play the Chieftain. It's not that either of them couldn't do the whole job. They are both great, not good but great, whistles.

I've owned Dixon's and Susato's. The Dixon's were quiet but stable and clear. The Susato's are loud. I've heard they are good whistles so maybe it's me and not the whistle ( :sniffle: ) but these just don't have nearly as much character so I traded them away.

Good luck with your search,
Michael
"Never get one of those cheap tin whistles. It leads to much harder drugs like pipes and flutes." - anon
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

I'll have to speak up for a Burke Low F. They play like, well, like a Burke. You can listen to Jerry O'Sullivan playing one here.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Byll
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

Years ago, I was given a Burke aluminum F, as a gift, by a good friend in Bar Harbor, Maine. I play a number of Burkes, and this is simply one of my favorites. It has an unbelievably solid, yet musical bottom end, and the top end is full, and has no harsh qualities of any kind. Of all my whistles, this Burke F sounds the most like a really good flute, especially in the low end. In most of the keys I use, I have more than one whistle. I have never felt the need for a second F.

Best.
Byll
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
rhulsey

Post by rhulsey »

I've had a handful of low F whistles, though I admittedly don't play low whistle much. I had a cocobolo Grinter, which was a spectacular instrument, one that I wish I had kept, in fact. I have 2 O'Riordans, one is smaller diameter than the other, both are very nice but very different in timbre. I also had a Burke, which is an excellent one as you might expect, too.

Reg
"Those who can make you believe absurdities
can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Another vote for the Burke. As amazingly consistent and even as Burkes are across the range, still they vary a tiny bit from key to key, and the Low F and Low D are my two favourites. There's something "just right" about Low F whistles in general.

I haven't played an MK Low F, but I would guess, based on how MK Low D's play, that they are superb.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Ellen
Tell us something.: It started with a whistle, then a low whistle (love them). Will try the flute. Now I'm mostly with my harp.

Post by Ellen »

Mmmmm, that sounds all very good.
Each whistle has got it's own character - as well as the ones who play them.

I wish I could try out some of those grand names.
(Purse doesn't allow it right now.)

Has anybody got experience with a Shaw Low F?
The sound must be special, and the shape and hole size would suit my smallish hands, I guess. But I'm a little afraid of the breath requirements. (On the other hand I'm coming along with my Alba A fairly well, so my body might learn what is necessary.)

Thank you all for your notes so far,
keep them coming :) .

Greetings to you,
Ellen
MikeS

Post by MikeS »

I'll put in a good word for my Ian Lambe F. I find it to be very expressive, with more chiff than a Burke and a reasonable air requirement. It's not perhaps a great choice for the small of hand, though. The holes are far from petite. I use a conventional grip on the left hand and a piper's grip on the right. As I said in a post a while back, it makes me smile every time I play it.

http://homepage.eircom.net/~mirian/ilambe/
I'm asking you because you're an educated sort of swine. John LeCarre
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

And there is a Michael Grinter low F available on e-Bay.....

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
mahanpots
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mahanpots »

I've got a Shaw low F, and while the sound is sweet, there are times when I have to put it down because I'm out of breath. But then there are times when playing it is easy. I think the more you play it, the easier it gets.

Here's a clip: http://www.box.net/shared/1yabsvmecg
Olwell Pratten.
Paddy Cronin's Jig
Limestone Rock, Silver Spear
Blasting, billowing, bursting forth with the power of 10 billion butterfly sneezes
technowhistle
Tell us something.: I need help transcribing whistle music! My 'by ear' listening and playing isn't all that good. I hope I can find that help here.

Post by technowhistle »

I've just ordered an Alba Low F - I'll tell you what it's like when I get it.

I have an Alba Low D Standard which I love lots.

I have a Susato Low F which isn't very good at all. Maybe the most inconsistent whistle I own (competing with a Dixon Plastic Low D) . I have to be very soft to get the first octave, it takes quite a bit of air despite this and jumps to the second octave too easily. I'd sell them both if they weren't so bad!
I d̶o̶n̶'̶t̶have a beard.

I̶t̶'̶s̶ ̶g̶o̶n̶e̶!̶
Ellen

Post by Ellen »

Thanks a lot again for all the interesting input !!! :thumbsup:
Burke's, Grinter's, Lambe's, MK's, O'Riordan's, Chieftain's, Goldie's, Domnahl Na Gruen's, Shaw's, Dixon's ... wow.

Mahanpots, thank you very much for your lovely soundclip! That gives me a better idea of the Shaw (which is perhaps not quite my cup of tea after all, though nice ...).

Technowhistle, will you send word when your Alba Low F has come? I'd very much like to know how it sounds and feels. (I myself just LOVE my Alba A.)

So all the best to you,
keep posting :) ,

Ellen
littlejohngael
Tell us something.: I've been with Chiff and Fipple since shortly after I bought my first low D. I've learned loads from this community, and I intend to continue to learn and contribute. Many thanks to Dale and everyone who makes this site happen.

Post by littlejohngael »

Hi Ellen,

I've got an Alba Low F, and I wouldn't trade it for the world. You've already got an Alba A. Go for the Low F. You won't be sorry. Honestly, a friend sold me an Alba Low G (back when he had an online shop). It was on back order, so he sent me an Alba Low F to play with while I waited. Sheeesh, what a low trick. I fell in love with the Low F. I had to send it back, because I didn't have the money to buy both, but I remained obsessed with saving up for the Alba Low F.

I now own the very one he sent me, and I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Go Alba. You'll never look back.

Little John
technowhistle
Tell us something.: I need help transcribing whistle music! My 'by ear' listening and playing isn't all that good. I hope I can find that help here.

Post by technowhistle »

Ellen,

Low F arrived today.

Very responsive, slightly easier blower than my Alba Low D standard, maybe slightly more air required though. Having said that, it not as much as some whistles!

I will upload a sound clip of it later.

Edited: insert pictures and correct typing errors.
Last edited by technowhistle on Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
I d̶o̶n̶'̶t̶have a beard.

I̶t̶'̶s̶ ̶g̶o̶n̶e̶!̶