Henry Beck's Flute Book (1786) now available for download

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Latticino
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Henry Beck's Flute Book (1786) now available for download

Post by Latticino »

At the request of another Chiffer I have laboriously scanned in the pages of this relatively rare manual from one of the (3) microfitch copies we were able to find nationally. It has over 200 tunes (some common and some rather obscure-not all ITM), period dictionary of musical terms, and a general guide for playing the simple system flute written back when the instrument was first in vogue. I've had it posted up on the flute board for about a week, but wanted to cross post here for those who don't check both boards in case anyone might be interested in the download. In all it is 198 pages, so I set it up for duplex format. The file is still quite large, so I have it posted here:
http://www.box.net/shared/0gcl3u8ad9
for download. I've not done any significant image processing, and the book was handwritten, then transfered to microfitch, so it is certainly noot up to modern publication standards. Still an interesting resource that is applicable to the whistle as well as flute in many cases.

Enjoy
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"
Steven Wright

"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
Baron Munchausen
BoBlues

Re: Henry Beck's Flute Book (1786) now available for download

Post by BoBlues »

Thank you. Appreciate the time you spent on this.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Cool! BTW, where Upstate are you?
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
ancientfifer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ancientfifer »

This is great! Thanks for posting. I played many of these tunes as a kid in the 70s in a fife and drum corps. I would like to point out the setting of Cuckoos Nest on pg 55 of 99 (pdf page number, not manuscript page number) as a fun version to play. Then Maggie Lauder on pdf pg. 70 of 99 is another great tune. There's many other great tunes. I only had select pages, its neat to see the entire manuscript!
ancientfifer is the chiffer formerly known as fifenwhistle (Dec. 2008-January 2014)
Avatar Photo: Colonial Williamsburg Fifes and Drums, July 4th Parade 1976, broadcasted live nationally on CBS.
Claus von Weiss
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Claus von Weiss »

Interesting material indeed! Thanks a lot! :thumbsup:

Cheers
Claus
cbs
Tell us something.: I am interested in tunes and tune books.
I am really interested in tunes and tune books.
Truly, I am interested in tunes and tune books.

Re: Henry Beck's Flute Book (1786) now available for downloa

Post by cbs »

[Thread revival. - Mod]

Is this scan file still available somewhere?

If not, could someone who has it upload it to archive.org and/or imslp.org?
cbs
Tell us something.: I am interested in tunes and tune books.
I am really interested in tunes and tune books.
Truly, I am interested in tunes and tune books.

Post by cbs »

The scanned document is now available at:

https://archive.org/details/FluteBook

https://imslp.org/wiki/Flute_Book_(Beck,_Henry)

Thanks to [name removed by request - Mod] for providing the PDF file.
Chifmunk
Tell us something.: Hi, I play 5-string banjo, mountain dulcimer, bones, and am now a beginner pennywhistler. I have some Dixon, Freeman, and Susato whistles. This is obviously the most extensive forum for information in whistle learning- thanks!
I also run a banjo/mando/fiddle shirt site at https://harmonias.com/
and a mountain dulcimer social site at: fotmd.com

Post by Chifmunk »

This is great- thank you!
(does any one know if Beck's book was English or American?)
Having FUN playin' my whistles!
http://pennywhistleclub.com/
...a new social network just for whistlers
awildman

Post by awildman »

Chifmunk wrote: (does any one know if Beck's book was English or American?)
Judging by the title 'Guardian Angles', I'd have to guess American. :D
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

awildman wrote:
Chifmunk wrote: (does any one know if Beck's book was English or American?)
Judging by the title 'Guardian Angles', I'd have to guess American. :D
I must have missed something. Where did you get that title from? Isn't it just called "Flute Book"? Sorry if I'm being thick ... :-?
Chifmunk
Tell us something.: Hi, I play 5-string banjo, mountain dulcimer, bones, and am now a beginner pennywhistler. I have some Dixon, Freeman, and Susato whistles. This is obviously the most extensive forum for information in whistle learning- thanks!

Post by Chifmunk »

awildman wrote: Judging by the title 'Guardian Angles', I'd have to guess American. :D
benhall.1 wrote:I must have missed something. Where did you get that title from? Isn't it just called "Flute Book"? Sorry if I'm being thick ... :-?
Although the book spells the tune "Guardian Angels" on that tune's page, in the Table of contents in the beginning of the book, the tune is spelled correctly (Angels). Thus, I think it's simply a handwritten typo. Surely not enough to determine whether the book was American or English.
There is also however a tune page with the title with "Pensylvania Quick March", which is listed in the Table of Contents as "Pennsylvania Quick Step" (with Pennsylvania spelled correctly)... so it seems the person who hand wrote all the tunes was not too particular about titles and spellings in general... not sure that means they couldn't possibly be British. ??
However, the tune titles' references to Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, General Washington, the Georgia Grenadiers, etc... in my mind would by itself suggest American origin.
walrii

Post by walrii »

Seems Beck was an American in Massachusetts who copied by hand a British book called "The Compleat Tutor for the German Flute." Below is Beck's entry in the bibliography from the website for the Colonial Society of Massachusetts. Link to the page "Music in Colonial Massachusetts, 1630 to 1820" is below. So the answer to "Were Beck and his book American or English?" appears to be "Yes." Dastardly colonials. Ripping off the old countries with nary a thought of recompense. Makes one want to cast them out on their hindmost parts. Oh. Wait...

Beck, Henry. Copybook containing instructions for the German flute copied from The Compleat Tutor for the German Flute (London: Chas. & Samuel Thompson, [1775]); and 317 tunes. Manuscript, American, 1786. Library of Congress. (Figs. 6, 21, 22, 35, 38, 49, 56, 61. Pages illustrated: 7, 12, 13, 38, 44, 53, 55, 60.)

https://www.colonialsociety.org/node/2007
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
Chifmunk

Post by Chifmunk »

Henry's book contains both an instructional section for the flute and then also a tune section. the above description:
"Copybook containing instructions for the German flute copied from The Compleat Tutor for the German Flute (London: Chas. & Samuel Thompson, [1775]); and 317 tunes. "
...this could easily be interpreted as: the instructional part of Henry's book was copied from the English flute tutor book, and then he included also a large selection of tunes. The tunes, because of their titles, do make me think they are an American selection.
walrii

Post by walrii »

Chifmunk wrote:Henry's book contains both an instructional section for the flute and then also a tune section. the above description:
"Copybook containing instructions for the German flute copied from The Compleat Tutor for the German Flute (London: Chas. & Samuel Thompson, [1775]); and 317 tunes. "
...this could easily be interpreted as: the instructional part of Henry's book was copied from the English flute tutor book, and then he included also a large selection of tunes. The tunes, because of their titles, do make me think they are an American selection.
Quite possibly so.
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Chifmunk wrote: it seems the person who hand wrote all the tunes was not too particular about spellings
I should point out that the idea of their being a "right" and "wrong" way to spell a word didn't exist in the 18th century. A person might spell the same word three different ways in the same paragraph. And this doesn't imply an uneducated person, because highly educated people did that too, simply because the notion of there being a one-and-only way to spell a word had never existed.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle