Hayden system vs. standard English?

We have some evidence, however, that you may have to pay for the reeds.
MatthewVanitas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Hayden system vs. standard English?

Post by MatthewVanitas »

I'm looking into trying out a starter concertina from Concertina Connection, and had been going to just get their standard "Jackie" English box. Intent was to do some basic Irish fiddle tunes, some vocal accompaniment, and also to do some avant-gardey stuff with vamping melodies over drones, etc. I always liked the work of Peter Bellamy (who I believe used the Anglo), but despite that and also playing the 1-row squeezebox I just never warmed to the Anglo, so was inclined to try English.

However, then I noticed that they now offer a Hayden system concertina for around the same price ($360). The Hayden seems really appealing as "the good idea that never caught on", and I am a sucker for obscure good ideas. However, when I dug up basic info on Hayden concertinas, it seems they're good for accompaniment, kinda of organ-like stuff, but not as quick on melodic work. It doesn't help that the main YouTube clips of Hayden appear to be oompah-band sort of tracks.

So, should I take a harder look at the Hayden, or just write it off and stick with the more common English system?
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Hayden system vs. standard English?

Post by s1m0n »

MatthewVanitas wrote:I always liked the work of Peter Bellamy (who I believe used the Anglo)...
Peteer Bellamy was the world's first and only punk concertinist, IMO.

Bellamy & his black concertina
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
seanc
Tell us something.: I am primarily a bass player for 30+ years in rock bands. Making an effort to expand my horizons. Currently struggling with concertina. Completely befuddled by Uilleann pipes.

Post by seanc »

For what it's worth (which is not a lot)... I started out on the Anglo. Picked up a stagi duet, tried it for a bit and traded it for a jackie (English).

I found the duet to be the least intuitive of the bunch. IMO it will be a longer learning time to get up and running on the duet than others.

But what it all comes down to is does the duet fit whatever music it is that you want to play?
If it does then go for it.
MatthewVanitas

Post by MatthewVanitas »

Update:

I ended up getting the Elise (Hayden Duet) 34-button from Concertina Connection, and thus far am very pleased.

Though the box isn't perfect, for $360 it's a really solid student concertina. The key action feels pretty good to my noob hands, and the reeds have been great except for one that buzzes (ever so minutely) on the draw.

I'm finding the Hayden system extremely intuitive for forming chords on the left hand, and transposing is extremely easy. Compared to what I recall from trying English, I can see how the melody might not be as lightning fast, since you're not pawning off half the job onto your left hand, but accompaniment certainly is easy.

I'll hope to do a full review and some pics eventually.