UK, Hull,

Chiff and Fipple in your hometown.
Jetboy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

UK, Hull,

Post by Jetboy »

First Monday of the Month, Black Boy Inn on the High Street in Hull's Old Town.
Get there early coz it soon fills up in the small room but its lively and accommodating. Eveyone welcome, especially beginners, without them traditional music would soon die out!
www.westonwhistles.co.uk

I am in a World of my own. But I am happy here, everyone knows me!
Rowney
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: UK, Hull,

Post by Rowney »

I realise you posted this over 3 years ago (I found it by searching), so I might not get a reply.

Do the folk sessions at The Black Boy still happen?
Jetboy

Post by Jetboy »

Black Boy Session still going strong, indeed there will be a sesh tomorrow night, 2nd Nov
I will be there, - just look out for the big ugly one with a bright red whistle!

THere is also a 3rd Monday in the month session in the Wellington Arms - tucked away behind the Campanile Hotel on Ferensway. Awesome beer selection by the way!

Incidentally, if you are new to this area, there are quite a few sessions if you are able to travel a bit.
There is a weekly one in the Six Bells, Barrow on Humber, just over the river from Hull to which a few Hully-gullies go. If you get regular, you could share the travel.

Further afield, there is a monthly (last Wednesday in the month) in Louth, , deepest lincolnshire and an every-other-wednesday in Rawcliffe, near Goole.

Jetboy
www.westonwhistles.co.uk

I am in a World of my own. But I am happy here, everyone knows me!
Rowney

Post by Rowney »

For anyone else in North Humberside here's some info on other sessions.

http://www.yorkshire-folk-arts.com/dire ... _east.html (I should point out I've not tried any of these yet!)

Cottingham Live (not mentioned on the above link) is v. good, and held weekly on Wednesday nights (I'm there most weeks); http://hammonda.07x.net/index.htm
Sibby

Post by Sibby »

There's also a mixed session on the second Tuesday of the month at the Minerva on the Marina, which would be tomorrow. Black Boy session was packed last week, so still going strong!
Rowney

Post by Rowney »

Sibby wrote:There's also a mixed session on the second Tuesday of the month at the Minerva on the Marina, which would be tomorrow. Black Boy session was packed last week, so still going strong!
It was packed yeah, I was there. My first session, and it was really good, nobody seemed to mind having a newby around, and the music was great. I was told about tomorrow's session that night, and I'm already planning on going! I hear the pub has it's own micro-brewery too!