In Search of the Perfect Pick

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

In Search of the Perfect Pick

Post by mutepointe »

I use XL strings on my guitar and prefer a thin pick. Those white Dunlop picks are the best I have found so far. Well, there was a pick I found once. It was a clear triangle in the jar of picks at the local music store. The pick was super thin and plastic. It shattered to pieces after one set. There were no other similar picks in the pick jar. I've search high & low in other pick jars. I've come to the conclusion that I've seen every thin pick on the market. All stores sell the same thing.

Anyone else looking for the perfect pick?
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Lorenzo

Re: In Search of the Perfect Pick

Post by Lorenzo »

For many years I never gave picks a serious thought...I always prefered a medium with a slightly rounded point. But that all changed when a flatpicker let me try a few of his picks. Now I understand voicing a little better, on guitars and mandos. It's not unlike voicing on a piano. If you sand, or soften the felt hammers with a pin, you can substantially change the voice or tone of a piano. With a guitar, there's nothing better than a tortoise shell, or a fake tortoise for some, or a composite Wegen pick, to bring out the best tone a guitar has to offer. Thickness and shape is a matter of taste and preference.
Whistling Archer

Post by Whistling Archer »

I like the yellow or green dunlops. for guitar,,,, fender semi tri for mando.
I met some folks picking bluegrass , and a bunch of them had these 40$ yees 40$ picks. I tried one ,, it felt like a pick. who knows. I lose them too much for that.

"there is no perfect pick,,, only perfect pickers" :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/user/sjeter61
My tunes , if you're interested
MTGuru
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

It's a little-known fact that the Holy Grail is actually filled with perfect guitar picks.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

If I was going to spend $40 on a pick, I could probably spend even more money on just buying a better guitar and changing my strings more often and improve my sound that way. I'm not playing anything that requires a $40 pick. And besides, the perfect pick that I did find was in the 3 for $1 pick jar.
白飞梦
liestman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by liestman »

After trying every other pick known to mankind (or almost), I bought a $36 Blue Chip pick, liked it so much for the tone and functionality of it that I bought two more for other instruments and now play nothing else. No, they are not cheap, but for my tastes they are worth every penny. Until then, the Tortis or Wegens were my favorites and are also worth the price for sure.
yer friend and mine,
John Liestman
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

I forget the name (and it's worn off) but I have a couple of three cornered picks made of a Dunlop-ish material that I like. The three corners are not symetrical-- one is rounded, one is mildly pointed and the third is elongated and hence a bit more flexible than the other two. By simply rotating the pick, I get different feel and tone from one pick.

I have a 40ish year old pre-ban genuine tortoise shell pick that I LOVE on my mandolin.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

I'm with liestman. After a long period of skepticism, I finally sprung for the $36 Blue Chip pick. It's my hands-down favorite.

There are many threads about this at Mando Cafe, and the overwhelming consensus is favorable to the Blue Chip. Go there if you want to see why people are willing to pay that much for a pick.

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showt ... =blue+chip
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
Whistling Archer

Post by Whistling Archer »

crookedtune wrote:I'm with liestman. After a long period of skepticism, I finally sprung for the $36 Blue Chip pick. It's my hands-down favorite.

There are many threads about this at Mando Cafe, and the overwhelming consensus is favorable to the Blue Chip. Go there if you want to see why people are willing to pay that much for a pick.

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showt ... =blue+chip
Yes at mando cafe they love expensive stuff. What they consider a entry inst. cost at least 1m, {{ unless its a Big Muddy or Mid mo."{ I have a Big M, super mando, unless your a grasser}} too rich for my blood. I cant imagine playing a 1500.0 -2500.00 mando around the campfire , or laying it down on my porch as I played & chatted.
But to each his own. If they "think " it makes them play better,, it probably does.
absolutely NO offense intended to those who like blue chip or whatever, just my thoughts, a cut up credit card , makes a decent pick :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/sjeter61
My tunes , if you're interested
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

I've never played around a campfire, and my mando is either in my lap or in its case. But I can understand your concern.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

mutepointe wrote:If I was going to spend $40 on a pick, I could probably spend even more money on just buying a better guitar and changing my strings more often and improve my sound that way. I'm not playing anything that requires a $40 pick. And besides, the perfect pick that I did find was in the 3 for $1 pick jar.
Ah. If you're just looking for a cheap beginner type pick, that is also a very good pick, try Clayton picks.

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/ ... sku=110401

These picks come as thin as .38mm and are only $3.99 p/dozen. The great thing about them is...
  • "Made with acetal, a unique durable material that produces clean overtones, fast release, and has a nonslip surface for sweat-soaked excursions. These picks sport a cool Clayton logo and come in a pack of one dozen.."
They also have much better picks for a little more.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

Dear Lorenzo:

I've used the Clayton picks before, I still have some that I wore out. They were OK but I like the white Dunlops better. Thanks for the link, I clicked through quite a few pages. I forgot about Sharkfins, I liked those, I haven't seen them in awhile. I liked how the fin bent. I occasionally buy from there and on my next purchase, I'll add some picks to experiment.

Dear Steve:

Playing around campfires rocks! I didn't get to do that this summer. Everybody who hasn't done this should give this a go, even if you have to crash a campfire. If you play the right music, I think most folks wouldn't mind.
白飞梦
Tim2723

Post by Tim2723 »

I wonder why natural shell picks are called tortoise when they come from the shell of the Hawksbill Sea Turtle?
The crwth will set you free!

Tim Smith
Kindred Spirit
www.kspirit.info
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

To irk the overly-nit-picky? Just teasing. My older brothers always ask questions like that.
白飞梦
patrickh

Post by patrickh »

Nothing compares to Bluechip picks. Wegans are good, Red Bear are ok but BlueChip are amazing.

I know it is a lot of money for a pick but I must admit it boggles my mind that someone wouldn't think twice about laying out multiple thousands for a mandolin because sound is everything but won't consider spending money on a pick that really can make a difference in sound and playability. And I don't mean a little bit of a difference, I mean a huge difference. I also own two real tortoise picks (made from an old tray that was made from a dead turtle, not directly made from a dead turtle) and they are not even close to being as good as the Bluechip. And I have seen these sold at festivals (under the table) for $100 or more.

No, I don't work for Bluechip but I do own several and I paid full price for all of them. Not cheap but well worth it.

Buy a Bluechip, Save a tortoise!