Double Barreled

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
caedmon
antispam: No

Double Barreled

Post by caedmon »

I was watching PBS and watched -- briefly -- a native American playing a flute that had two barrels. During the song, he went to playing both at the same time, with the second portion of his flute providing a drone note. I liked the sound.

A google search has brought some variations on the theme...

So...has anyone done something similar with tin whistles?
Chad Wilson

Some whistles, an old fiddle, an old banjo, a bass, a guitar and a bodhran
Tommy

Re: Double Barreled

Post by Tommy »

caedmon wrote:
So...has anyone done something similar with tin whistles?
Yes, this has been done. It can be seen at renaissance faires.
There are two ways to do it your self. You need two whistles in the same key. Put tape over all the holes on one. Hold them side by side with rubber bands, and play.

The other way still needs two whistles in the same key. Put tape over the three bottom holes on one, and tape on the top three holes on the other. Hold side by side with rubber bands and play. This set up will take a little more practice.
:thumbsup:
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

Double pipes / flutes / whistles have been around for at least a few millennia. Greek double aulos (diaulos), circa 500 BCE:

The Greek aulos may have been a double reed, but the idea is the same. See this page for a reconstruction:

http://www.ancestral.co.uk/romanmusic.htm
Tommy wrote:The other way still needs two whistles in the same key. Put tape over the three bottom holes on one, and tape on the top three holes on the other.
I think in this arrangement you actually want to leave the first whistle untaped, and just tape the top holes on the second one. That way you get the top hand notes on the first whistle, and the bottom hand notes on the second.

Also remember that you can cover 4 holes with one hand on the untaped whistle by using the pinkie. See the kwela videos posted here in a different thread for an example of how to do this.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

caedmon wrote:So...has anyone done something similar with tin whistles?
You don't have ask very far to find that out. I've made biwhistles that have one mouthpipe shorter than the other so that you can separate the drone. Also, I believe "Eric the Whistlemaker" has made something like this as well.
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

MTGuru wrote:
Tommy wrote:The other way still needs two whistles in the same key. Put tape over the three bottom holes on one, and tape on the top three holes on the other.
I think in this arrangement you actually want to leave the first whistle untaped, and just tape the top holes on the second one. That way you get the top hand notes on the first whistle, and the bottom hand notes on the second.
Thank you, seems I was a bit hasty in my description.
:oops:
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Daniel_Bingamon wrote:Also, I believe "Eric the Whistlemaker" has made something like this as well.
http://www.eriktheflutemaker.com/Double_Flutes.htm

It's just 2 Susatos together, with the top holes of one of them pre-plugged.

Daniel, I looked for a photo of your double whistle, too, but no luck. :sniffle:
Tommy wrote:Thank you, seems I was a bit hasty in my description.
No prob, Tommy. It does seem logical to tape the tops of one and the bottoms of the other, until you think about it. :)

Actually, the pic on Erik the Flutemaker's page above is a good illustration of the hole arrangement.

Yuri
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Yuri »

The problem with two whistles played together like tat is that they both will overblow together. It is a feature of quite a number of folk double whistles from the Balkans, Roumania, Hungary, Slovakia and Ukraine. (Probably a couple more, for that matter, from te area) Try Googling "dvojnica", "dvojanka" and see for yourself. As to anyone trying this sort of thing, well, I make them. Have a look at my website. There are clips, too. True, they are not 6-hole whistles, though I have made those too, with drones. At present the ones I make have 7 finger and 1 thumbhole, so they really are, erm, re******s. Still, have a look.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Yuri wrote:The problem with two whistles played together like tat is that they both will overblow together.
Yes, if you tie them together at the top so that the mouthpieces effectively share the same embouchure and airstream.

But after a few minutes experimenting with both arrangements (#1 - D drone, and #2 - high/low pair), I find that if you keep the whistles separate and position them apart on opposite sides of the mouth, you can control the embouchures separately and so overblow them separately to the 2nd register. Tricky, but possible. I'll post a clip if I feel ambitious.

Also, for the D drone it seems to help to use a larger bore/windway whistle that takes more air than the other whistle before it flips registers.

Suibhne

Post by Suibhne »

There are some fine Slovakian double Dvojacka whistes to be had at http://www.fujara.sk/instruments/folkar ... histle.htm, though not as nice as the one I bought at Knock-on-Wood in Leeds 16 years ago, which has heavy brass mounts. This is in low-G (an octave below the Generation G) & the drone pipe makes a fine overtone flute in itself. As for overblowing, you can control the amount of breath going in the drone pipe with your tongue to keep it playing low.

Here's a pic; it's in the middle there, just to the right of Davie Stewart.

Lots of other double-whistle around, like the Bosnian Dvojnice - there's two there in the picture, and I noticed a couple of nice ones on ebay the other day. Dan Moi do a Moldavian double whistle carved from a single block:

http://danmoi.de/shop/index.php?main_pa ... ucts_id=39
Suibhne O'Piobaireachd
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

This used to be one of Packie Manus Byrne's party tricks, I gather. Chiff's SteveJ might be able to tell you more about it.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
chrisp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by chrisp »

Just messing about :party: , I've tried my low G with my high C together, some lovely harmonies,they sound a bit like organ pipes.I didn't tape them together, just held the like in the greek picture. :)
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Yuri wrote: At present the ones I make have 7 finger and 1 thumbhole, so they really are, erm, re******s. Still, have a look.
http://www.wood-n-bone.co.nz/ Very interesting site with whistles, ocarinas, puppets, did I miss anything?

They do look very nice, and well made. :thumbsup:
chris_coreline
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by chris_coreline »

i had two spair d fedogs, so i did the tape the top of one and bottom of other, been mucking about with it for a few hours now, possibly the most fun i have had with my clothes on.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

The Double Flageolet was a very popular instrument in victorian times:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEMxeB7Rjnw
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

MTGuru wrote:Daniel, I looked for a photo of your double whistle, too, but no luck. :sniffle:
Here it is:
This one has three holes on each shaft but the shaft are removable and can be reconfigured in many different ways.

I do need to get a better picture. Next time I make another of these.
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D