Pipes and Pop Music

The Wonderful World of ... Other Bagpipes. All the surly with none of the regs!
projektio28
antispam: No

Re: Pipes and Pop Music

Post by projektio28 »

The Sporting Pitchfork wrote:There was a Depeche Mode song with uilleann pipes on it, I seem to recall.
You are quite correct. The Depeche Mode song is called "Judas" and appeared on their album Songs of Faith and Devotion. You can hear the uilleann pipes being played as the intro before the lyrics start...

If you want to hear some interesting use of various European bagpipes, there is a folk metal band from Germany called In Extremo. They have a song called "Liam" that features uilleann pipes, and a good majority of their other songs use some German pipes or other medieval dudelsacks.

Matt
"The grey rain-curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass, and then you see it. White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise." - J.R.R. Tolkien
Celtpastor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Celtpastor »

...but please make sure not to take their earlier albums, let's say: their stuff before 2005 - it's just nicer to listen to pipes played by people who finally found out, how to use them properly... :P There's a whole scene of "medieval"-inspired metal- even techno-projects using bagpipes in Germany, but most of them really suck on the pipes (nice picture... :D ).

While we're at it, there are some great Punk-, Rock-, and Metalbands with Bagpipes (naturally! Remember: AC/DC and kORN used GHB on early albums!)!

I suggest:

- Mudmen, a Canadian (Hard-)Rockband with two award-winning Highlandpipers
- Enter the Haggis, a Canadian Rockband with frequent GHB-use
- Great Big Sea, a Newfoundland Folkrockband sometimes using GHB
- Dropkick-Murphys (of course!), a Red-Skin-Oi-Punk band from Boston with GHB,
- Real McKenzies, similar
- Dixebra, a Ska-Punk-Band from Asturies (NW-Spain) with excessive and very good use of traditional (and electronic) Asturian Gaita :thumbsup:
- Ramoneurs de Menhirs, a Breton Folkpunkband using Biniou and Bombarde (medieval Breton oboe, sounding not unlike GHB)
- Black Label Zone, pipers from a Bagad (Breton Pipeband) doing Hardrock
- Eluveitie, a Swiss (!) Folkrockpop-band (used to be Folk-Metal, but their latest album changed the style - unfortunetely... :cry: ) with extensive use of different pipes and Hurdy-gurdy
- Aes Dana (beware! There's a terribly kitschy New-Age-Easy-Listening-Band of the same name!!!), a french-Breton Folkmetal-Band using Bombarde
- Glorystrokes, an English Folkmetal-project (no pipes, but great accordeon)
- Korpiklaani, a Finnish Folkmetalband with accordeon, fiddle, whistles and sometimes torupill (Estonian pipes)
- Znich, a Belarus Folk-Black-Metal Band using Dudmaisis (last two albums, first one was boring Black-Metal without trad. influences. I'm incertain about their political intentions, though, since I don't understand Belarus... :cry: )
- Mark Saul, an incredible Highlandpiper from Australia. He usually does Folk-Techno but has a few Metal-inspired pieces on his album as well.

There are other projects, esp. in the "Pagan"-Metal-scene, using bagpipes as well. But many of them have racist tendencies (e.g. "Slavland" from Poland, "Astaarth" from France),also their piping is not very convincing... :boggle:

Also, there are quite some projects of electronic (wave-) music in France, Belgium, Germany and, as it seems, also Austria (!) using Hurdy-gurdy, Cornemuse and/or Schaeferpfeife. Also, there are a few Folk-Hiphop-Bands using pipes (e.g. Manau, Bretagne or Lecker Sachen, Germany).
And there are loooots of folkpopbands using pipes in practically every nation having a bagpiping-tradition...

Make of that, what You will - personally, I dislike it, if Pipes are used only as an accessoire to spice up pop music a bit. But if tradition want's to be alive, it has to evolve as well. So I really like traditional (inspired) music played on trad. instruments in a contemporary way. It simply shows, tradition is still alive... :thumbsup:
Dilige et, quod vis, fac!
projektio28

Post by projektio28 »

Celtpastor wrote:...but please make sure not to take their earlier albums, let's say: their stuff before 2005 - it's just nicer to listen to pipes played by people who finally found out, how to use them properly... :P
You are referring to In Extremo here, correct? I've been slowing going through their studio albums, since I typically dislike live albums.

There is a piper out here in Los Angeles I really like named John Allan, he has a celtic rock band called Stand Easy that features a ton of GHB. I think you would like them Celtpastor since its mostly traditional tunes put to rock chords, but even the original stuff rocks!

I will have to check out Mudmen since I am not familiar with them... :)

Matt
"The grey rain-curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass, and then you see it. White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise." - J.R.R. Tolkien
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

projektio28 wrote:I will have to check out Mudmen since I am not familiar with them... :)
Now there's an unfortunate name for a band. :really:
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Celtpastor

Post by Celtpastor »

projektio28 wrote: There is a piper out here in Los Angeles I really like named John Allan, he has a celtic rock band called Stand Easy that features a ton of GHB. I think you would like them Celtpastor since its mostly traditional tunes put to rock chords, but even the original stuff rocks!

Of course! They're great! Just forgot to mention them (silly me...), thanx for reminding me ;-) They still have only one CD out so far, right?

I also forgot to mention Rusty Nails from NYC - kinda minimalistic "Punk meets mixture between Tom Waits and David Bowie" with GHB. Weird, but worth listening to...
projektio28

Post by projektio28 »

Celtpastor wrote:Of course! They're great! Just forgot to mention them (silly me...), thanx for reminding me ;-) They still have only one CD out so far, right?
Actually, their first CD was self titled, and their second album is called Tainted. A little earlier this year they finally released a third album called Not Just Intonation, I still need to pick that one up, but I've been too busy to attend any of the Scottish games out here. And far too lazy to make a few mouse clicks and buy it online...

Besides, I need to keep saving up for my UPs and another piano accordion! :D
MTGuru wrote:Now there's an unfortunate name for a band. :really:
Yeah, that IS a pretty goofy name, huh? :P

Matt
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

projektio28 wrote:Yeah, that IS a pretty goofy name, huh?
Goofy is hardly the adjective. But we'll leave it at that, to avoid Procto territory. They won't be the first rock band to go down that path.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Celtpastor

Post by Celtpastor »

Actually, the name came from the Campbell-brothers (the two pipers), since before they formed the band, they mixed mortar for bricklayers (I wonder, what strange imagination You had... :D ) Nevermind - they've got three albums out (4th to come), none in any way "traditional". As they state themselves: "This is not traditional music. This is Rock with bagpipes." However - despite what I said about pop (rock) music not to be spruced up with fashionable pipesounds - these guys are still the best hardrockpipes I know - and I know a lot... :thumbsup: It just sounds - they way it should sound like (if You ask me...).

I also forgot to mention two Celtic-Metal Bands:
Valuatir (France, before known as Inis Gwenva, mostly cornemuses) and
User Ne (Spain, Gaita, really strange but enchanting stuff).

My favourite folkpopalbum with bagpipes (Borderpipes) btw is - BY FAR! - Slainte Mhat's 2nd "Va". These Cape Breton guys (and girl) are just so... ...natural... Just 21st century CB-trad-pop-rock... Incredibly creative - incredible musicians - Unbeatable! :love:
Last edited by Celtpastor on Fri May 29, 2009 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
elbowmusic
Tell us something.: I'm back in the uilleann piping world after a ten year hiatus. Uilleann piping chops, here I come!

I'm a smallpipe and Border pipe maker and we'll just see where that leads to.

Post by elbowmusic »

Celtpastor,

I completely agree about Slainte Mhath. For a while that second album was my favorite album of anything. Fantasticly inventive and fun. For about a month I would get up in the morning and put the album on the third track (If I remember right). "Finally I got through to Annie . . ."

I would personally pay that band $1000 to get back together and make a third album.

Nate
-Nate Banton-
Smallpipes and Border Pipes http://www.natebanton.com
Celtpastor

Post by Celtpastor »

I'll add another 1000 bucks - I don't have that money, allright, but since I'm planing to visit CB again in 2010, if there was a chance to get Slainte Mhath together again, I'd do almost anything for that... Well, at least the last albums of the Barra MacNeills are fine, the Cottars are doing good stuff too, Beolach is great and All Fired Up really promising - but none of them compares the least with SMs 2nd album...

If You love these, however, I recommend another Pipe-Poprock-album of a band not existing anymore: Sin E's 3rd album "Deep Water dropoff". Ryan J. MacNeill (of SM) covered one of their weird UP-compositions on his solo album - that says something about their quality, I guess... :wink:
elbowmusic
Tell us something.: I'm back in the uilleann piping world after a ten year hiatus. Uilleann piping chops, here I come!

I'm a smallpipe and Border pipe maker and we'll just see where that leads to.

Post by elbowmusic »

Does All Fired up have a CD? I've heard of them but not seen them.
-Nate Banton-
Smallpipes and Border Pipes http://www.natebanton.com
Celtpastor

Post by Celtpastor »

(Sigh) I'm afraid not (yet) :( . Just saw them on a couple of gigs on Cape Breton last summer... I'm quite sure, though, that as soon as they have one, it'll be fs on www.celticmusicsite.com (hp of CBs Celtic Music interpretive centre).

However - d'You ever try Rory Campbell's "Nusa"? If not, the BP-tracks will be a nice surprise... ;-)
BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

Hi Celtpastor

Rory is a lovely gaita player as well as border/ghb player.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
Celtpastor

Post by Celtpastor »

...not to forget his whistle-playing - I mean: Remember, what kinda forum this is... :D
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

The Sensational Alex Harvey Band had GHB's at the end of their "Anthem"- a song from many years ago that I still like today- here's a live version from '74

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zuuwG7NuPk
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West