Fiche ceist!

Tá Failte Romhat! For all conversation about the Irish language. Scots Gaelic discussion welcome.
Forum rules
The purpose of this forum is to provide a place for people who are interested in the Irish language and various Celtic languages to discuss them, to practice them, and to share information about them, particularly (but not exclusively) in the context of traditional music and culture.

This is not a "translation forum," per se, though translation requests may occasionally be honored at the discretion of the moderators. If you're seeking a one-time translation for something like a tattoo, engraving, wedding vow, or other such purpose, we strongly recommend that you visit our friends at ILF: http://irishlearner.awyr.com
avanutria
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Re: Fiche ceist!

Post by avanutria »

Ah yes, I'd forgotten that.

An éan é? (Is it a bird?)
An bhfuil aon dearmad i mo Ghaeilge? Abair mé, le do thoil!
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

avanutria wrote:Ah yes, I'd forgotten that.

An éan é? (Is it a bird?)
Is saghas éin é...ach cén saghas...sin atá i gceist! :wink: (it's a type of bird...but what type...that's the question! :wink: )

BTW, educational moment for any beginners who may be following along. Notice that I spelled the word for "bird" differently in my reply from the way avanutria spelled it in her question. That's because her question correctly used the nominative case ("éan"), but because I used "saghas" (type/sort) in my answer, I had to put the word for "bird" in the genitive, which is "éin."

A bird: éan
A type of bird: éin

Here endeth the lesson. :D

1) Tá sé beo: it is alive
2) Níl ceithre chos air: it doesn't have four feet/legs
3) Níl sé ina chónaí san fharraige: it doesn't live in the ocean
4) Ní planda é: it's not a plant
5) Is saghas éin é: it is a type of bird

Leid bheag: Tá an éan seo an-choitianta sna Stáit Aonthaithe, agus tá ceann cosúil leis an-choitianta i Sasana agus in Éirinn. Tá an aimn céanna ar an beirt acu. ("A little hint: This bird is very common in the United States, and one similar to it is very common in England and Ireland. The two of them have the same name").

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

I'll pretend I didn't see the hint, as I think that gave it away! :lol: Ach go raibh maith agat for the educational moment.

Is anyone else going to play this game or is it just us? Is anyone else watching?
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

Yeah, c'mon guys...get your feet wet! The "fíche ceist" site tells you how to phrase the questions, and if you don't have a dictionary, we can help you with the words you don't know (you can use English where needed). Seriously...an absolute beginner can play this (we've had a beginners' league going at IGTF for a couple of years now), and it's a great way to start learning some basic structures.

Redwolf
avanutria

Post by avanutria »

Ócé...an spideog é?

OK...is it a robin?
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

avanutria wrote:Ócé...an spideog é?

OK...is it a robin?
Tá an ceart agat! Is spideog í! You're right! It's a robin!

Redwolf
avanutria

Post by avanutria »

Maith mé! :P
alurker

Post by alurker »

Redwolf wrote:sin atá i gceist! ....that's the question!
Is tamall beag é mar sin bfhéidir nach bhfuil an cheart agam, ach bfhéidir go mba cheart dhuit a ra: 'sin é an cheist' in ionad 'sin atá i gceist!', nach ea?

It's been a while so maybe I'm wrong, but maybe you should say "that's the question" instead of "that's what is in question" no? - It's hard for me to come up with a direct translation for "i gceist" but maybe "in question" or "under discussion" isn't a million miles away?

Now, what's Irish for pedantic? :lol:

Ar aon nos: maith sibh. Leanigi ar aghaidh. - Anyway, good on ye, off ye go.

P.S. How do you get the fada on your vowels? :-? I've been copying and pasting them in here.
Last edited by alurker on Fri May 22, 2009 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

The Flying Spaghetti Monster knows Irish! :o How cool is that? :lol:
alurker wrote:P.S. How do you get the fada on your vowels? :-? I've been copying and pasting them in here.
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=68760
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
alurker

Post by alurker »

MTGuru wrote:The Flying Spaghetti Monster knows Irish! :o How cool is that? :lol:
The great Flying Spaghetti Monster knows EVERYTHING. :twisted:
MTGuru wrote:
alurker wrote:P.S. How do you get the fada on your vowels? :-? I've been copying and pasting them in here.
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=68760
Cheers. :thumbsup:
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

You can say it either way, as far as I know. "Sin í an cheist" (ceist is feminine) is a literal translation of "that's the question"...as if you were answering the question "Cad é sin?" (what is that?), whereas 'that's what is in question' is more what I'd use for this kind of thing. But I think either is technically fine.

I'm definitely open to correction, though! Some of what I'm doing here is uncharted territory for me.

Redwolf
alurker

Post by alurker »

Redwolf wrote: "Sin í an cheist" (ceist is feminine)
Yeah that was a bit of a 50-50 punt on my part. The fact that an e-fada was available to copy and paste swung it for the masculine choice! :lol: BTW, any idea how you do fadas when working from a laptop and the right hand numberpad is not available?
Redwolf wrote: 'that's what is in question' is more what I'd use for this kind of thing. But I think either is technically fine.
Yeah it's a matter of choice I guess. From memory, I'd tend to go with "Sin í an cheist" in this context but as you say either is technically fine.
avanutria

Post by avanutria »

alurker wrote:BTW, any idea how you do fadas when working from a laptop and the right hand numberpad is not available?
If you install the international keyboard layout then you can hold down the right-hand ALT button and press any vowel to get the fada version of that vowel. You can also press the ' button and then follow it with yo0ur chosen vowel to get the fada version. It has some side effects like swapping the locations of @ and " but works really well for me. Also once you have two keyboard layouts installed you get a little icon on your taskbar to let you easily switch from one to the other.
alurker

Post by alurker »

Thanks for the help avanutria. I installed the US-International keyboard on Regional and Language Options. I've got the US-International keyboard selected but still Right (or left) ALT + e selects Edit from the menu bar and typing 'e appears as 'e.

Am I missing something? :-?
avanutria

Post by avanutria »

Hm, not sure. It works for me...