Need suggestion on a multi-whistle bag...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Azalin
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Need suggestion on a multi-whistle bag...

Post by Azalin »

Hello all,

I finally completed my collection of Sindt whistles and have all keys available... but my whistles have been hanging around the appartment for years and it seems I always have trouble finding the right whistle at the right time. I think it's time to buy meself a whistle bag.

I saw the one that's available at the whistleshop.com, but it's a bit bigger than what I'd need, although it will probably be my first choice if there's no alternative. I remember seeing someone with a whistle bag a few years ago and he had just enough room for all of his Sindt. I'm not sure if the bag was custom made.

Anyway, could any of you point me to multi-bag makers/websites ? Any experience with such bags yourself? Any suggestion?

Thanks.
Byll
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Re: Need suggestion on a multi-whistle bag...

Post by Byll »

Hi, Azalin: The answer to every whistle bag question can be answered, here:

http://www.angelfire.com/mo/sassafrassg ... /main.html

Annie is a wonderful person with which to deal, and her products are superb.

Best to you.
Byll
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Yes, by all accounts Annie's work is top-notch, especially for custom work.

Michael Burke also sells a basic, serviceable vinyl roll-up:
http://www.burkewhistles.com/product.ph ... 253&page=1
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
PhilO
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by PhilO »

At the risk of always agreeing with Byll (not a bad thing), Annie just makes the finest bags on the planet. Other than that, drum stick bags serve quite well.

Best,

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
pipersgrip

Post by pipersgrip »

Didn't Annie make Joanie Madden's bag? Joanie loves it, and it is excellent quality.
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
Ballyshannon

Post by Ballyshannon »

The Whistle Collector wrote:Didn't Annie make Joanie Madden's bag? Joanie loves it, and it is excellent quality.
Yes, she did.
http://www.angelfire.com/mo/sassafrassg ... ustom.html (scroll down)
dlovrien

Post by dlovrien »

I bought a "dozen hi-low" bag from her about 6 months ago... it is fantastic. Beautiful and functional - I couldn't be happier.
David Lovrien - 5 Second Rule & Trinity Hall Session Players - Dallas, TX
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

Thanks folks! I don't want to put down anyone's work, but I think Annie's whistle bag are a bit too crafty for my needs. I just want something simple, dull, boring, black, that will hold a bunch of whistles. The one that Burke is selling seems appealing to me, anyone has one of these?

(Annie's are definitely great whistle bags!)
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Azalin wrote:anyone has one of these?
(Raises hand ...)

If it's the same one, it has 8 compartments, measuring (in mm): 45 45 50 50 60 60 60 65. The 4 smaller ones can hold 1 or 2 whistles / heads, the 4 larger ones 2 or 3. So the roll-up can hold between 8 and 20 pieces, depending on the whistles and how you pack them in. At 40 cm tall, it can take up to a Bb or maybe A whistle without disassembly.

The compartments and top flap are nylon fabric, and the inside vinyl is lined with cloth-covered foam padding. The top flap secures with velcro along the edges. And the closure is 2 cords you pull tight with spring-loaded sliding clamps.

Mine is 3 years old now, so you might check with Michael for the details of his current model.

I bet Annie would also make a boring black case for you if you want. :)
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
MarcusR
Location: I stay in a place called 'Rooms'... There's a whole chain of them.

Post by MarcusR »

Azalin wrote:I just want something simple, dull, boring, black, that will hold a bunch of whistles.
Hi Azalin!
This one has lasted me over six years and costs almost nothing. Holds 20-30 whistles and I can still fit 1-2 low whistles if I take them apart. A Susato low D will just fit so one can close the zipper, longer sections would have to stick out.

http://store.drumbum.com/skuBG-2.html

Cheers!

/MarcusR
There is no such thing as tailwind -- it's either against you or you're simply having great legs!
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

Thanks guys, your help is greatly appreciated.
caedmon

Post by caedmon »

In theory, you could make your own multi-whistle bag, if you know how to use a sewing needle.

Take two layer of duck cloth, cotton, whatever you want. Use a 1" dowel to create the pocket for each whistle, lay them down in a row between the layers of fabric, then sew space between. A nice suede leather would look nice for something like this.
Chad Wilson

Some whistles, an old fiddle, an old banjo, a bass, a guitar and a bodhran
Adrian W.

Post by Adrian W. »

I've been looking at the one on the Goldie/Overton website.....can't find a decent drumstick bag around here that isn't way overpriced.

Of course, it seems wrong to have them send a whistle bag without a whistle in it. Therein lies the rub.
In Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
Steamwalker

Post by Steamwalker »

Carey of Parks Whistles also sells a whistle bag on his site:

http://www.parkswhistles.com/Accessorie ... fault.aspx
Ballyshannon

Post by Ballyshannon »

I use a zippered drumstick bag that I modified a bit by sewing seams about 1" apart to make individual pockets to keep the metal and wood whistles from banging into one another. To keep the exposed tops of the whistles on each side from coming into contact when the bag is closed, I place a heavy cotton cloth across the tops of the whistles before closing. It's 18" tall with a large pocket on the front. This bag is plenty large enough for my Dixon A and homemade Bb (far left in photo of open bag) and as you can see when closed is still very easy to carry and transport. It's made of a thick material that protects very well. The bag was purchased in a local music store and as I recall was about $12 but that was several years ago.

The seams on the right were done on a machine, but since the left flap (which is the front) has the pocket, those seams were done by hand using a heavy duty nylon thread. Trust me, I'm a guy who doesn't sew and this was pretty easy. This bag's had a lot of use and I've been meaning to redo the seams on the left :D now where's that needle....