Irish keyboard question

Tá Failte Romhat! For all conversation about the Irish language. Scots Gaelic discussion welcome.
Forum rules
The purpose of this forum is to provide a place for people who are interested in the Irish language and various Celtic languages to discuss them, to practice them, and to share information about them, particularly (but not exclusively) in the context of traditional music and culture.

This is not a "translation forum," per se, though translation requests may occasionally be honored at the discretion of the moderators. If you're seeking a one-time translation for something like a tattoo, engraving, wedding vow, or other such purpose, we strongly recommend that you visit our friends at ILF: http://irishlearner.awyr.com
Cork
antispam: No

Irish keyboard question

Post by Cork »

My now being a student of Irish, it seemed appropriate to teach my keyboard some new tricks. So, I went into my computer's in-house selection, and clicked on "Irish", and, now that there's an "Irish" icon on my toolbar, I can shift keyboard modes in two clicks, thank you.

However, the results are curious. For instance, the only "Irish" keyboard character I can find is "£", and nothing about vowels with acute marks over them. In fact, I'm keying this note while entirely in "Irish" mode. See any difference?

So, I went back into my computer, a Mac with OS X, and looked for other options, but no luck, so far.

Any suggestions?

TIA
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Irish keyboard question

Post by Redwolf »

Assuming you're not in Europe (and thus don't have an "alt GR" key), the easiest way to get fadas is to use alt codes.

Hold down the "alt" key while keying the number sequence (on the number pad, not on the numbers across the top of the keyboard). When you let it up, you will have the appropriate accented vowel:

ALT 0225 = á
ALT 0233 = é
ALT 0237 = í
ALT 0243 = ó
ALT 0250 = ú

ALT 0193 = Á
ALT 0201 = É
ALT 0205 = Í
ALT 0211 = Ó
ALT 0218 = Ú

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Cork

Post by Cork »

New England, USA, here!

Well, I tried your suggestion, about the alt key sequence on the number pad, but that didn't work. Hmm?

So, I then tried using the alt key while simply keying in a vowel, and that not only worked but my keyboard viewer suddenly lit up with an array of new choices!

áéíóúÁÉÍÓÚ

I thank you!
Last edited by Cork on Fri May 15, 2009 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

On the Windows side of things ... For years I have used only the US-International keyboard layout, which is capable of handling most Western European diacritics and characters while preserving the familiar US keyboard layout for English.

In its simplist use, it works just the way Cork describes. Hold down Right-Alt and type a vowel to get the acute accented (fáda) version. Other Right-Alt combinations give additional marks and characters. And there are a number of dead-key combinations that are very easy to remember. For example: back-tick plus vowel gives gràvè àccènt; and double-quote plus vowel gives Ümläüt. :-)

US-International Layout: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306560
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

MTGuru wrote:On the Windows side of things ... For years I have used only the US-International keyboard layout, which is capable of handling most Western European diacritics and characters while preserving the familiar US keyboard layout for English.

In its simplist use, it works just the way Cork describes. Hold down Right-Alt and type a vowel to get the acute accented (fáda) version. Other Right-Alt combinations give additional marks and characters. And there are a number of dead-key combinations that are very easy to remember. For example: back-tick plus vowel gives gràvè àccènt; and double-quote plus vowel gives Ümläüt. :-)

US-International Layout: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306560
Doesn't work for me. In any case, I've used alt codes for so long, I touch type them, so no need to learn any other way.

Redwolf
Cork

Post by Cork »

BTW, my computer offers two "Irish" keyboard options, one in "Roman", such as I selected, and the other in "Unicode".

Could that difference come down to a matter of browser compatibility?
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Redwolf wrote:Doesn't work for me.
Just to clarify ... Do you mean you feel no need, or that it doesn't work on your computer software-wise?

I have a fairly recurring need to write Spanish, French, German, Italian, sometimes Portuguese. So having everything always at your fingertips without memorizing numbers or changing layouts is a big plus for me.

FWIW, the Irish keyboard layout functions almost the same as US-International: Right-Alt plus apostrophe dead key gives fáda. So it's an easy transition to switch between the two.

MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Cork wrote:BTW, my computer offers two "Irish" keyboard options, one in "Roman", such as I selected, and the other in "Unicode".

No ... http://www.evertype.com/celtscript/ga-keys-x.html

The Unicode layout is a superset of Roman, with many more extended Unicode characters for Eastern European, Cyrillic, IPA, transliterations, etc. Any apps that support Unicode should be able to display them.

But for just writing fáda, the Roman layout should more than suffice!

Cork

Post by Cork »

MTGuru wrote:
Cork wrote:BTW, my computer offers two "Irish" keyboard options, one in "Roman", such as I selected, and the other in "Unicode".

No ... http://www.evertype.com/celtscript/ga-keys-x.html

The Unicode layout is a superset of Roman, with many more extended Unicode characters for Eastern European, Cyrillic, IPA, transliterations, etc. Any apps that support Unicode should be able to display them.

But For just writing fáda, the Roman layout should more than suffice!
Aha, and thank you, twice over!

I'm on a Mac 10.4.x, and for Irish the Unicode offers far more than I currently need, but it's nice to know it's there.

However, the US-International indeed could be useful, as every now and then I need one of those umlaut vowels.
Last edited by Cork on Fri May 15, 2009 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

MTGuru wrote:
Redwolf wrote:Doesn't work for me.
Just to clarify ... Do you mean you feel no need, or that it doesn't work on your computer software-wise?

I have a fairly recurring need to write Spanish, French, German, Italian, sometimes Portuguese. So having everything always at your fingertips without memorizing numbers or changing layouts is a big plus for me.

FWIW, the Irish keyboard layout functions almost the same as US-International: Right-Alt plus apostrophe dead key gives fáda. So it's an easy transition to switch between the two.
Both, really. Back when I first started needing fadas, I experimented with different keyboard layouts, and had a hard time finding something that was workable (especially as I share this keyboard, and it's a pain for people to toggle back and forth). Then I got used to using the alt codes, and I use them so easily now (to the point where it took me a while to type them out in this thread...I use them so instinctively, I had to stop and think about the specific combinations of keystrokes), it's not worth messing with another method. Fortunately, I don't really need other diacritic marks, so that works well enough for me.

Redwolf
Cork

Post by Cork »

MTGuru wrote:...US-International Layout: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306560
I've now installed the US-International keyboard, and it rocks!

It took me a few tries to get the hang of using the diacritical marks, but now I've got it.

Moreover, the US-I keyboard could effectively do everything I could need, including Irish, too.

Also, I have a friend whose first name has an Ø and whose last name has an Æ, and now I don't need to shift keyboards!

Slick!
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

On the international keyboard that I use, the locations of @ and " have swapped - standard on British keyboards.

So if you're in fada-mode and are having trouble finding one of these two symbols, try the spot for the other one!
An bhfuil aon dearmad i mo Ghaeilge? Abair mé, le do thoil!
Cork

Post by Cork »

Seeing as I kicked-off this thread with a question, and seeing as I now have much more than I had asked for, I'd like to thank everybody here, THANK YOU!

Ah, these computers are amazing things.

:-)
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

"Chiff & Fipple Forums. For more information than you really wanted."
An bhfuil aon dearmad i mo Ghaeilge? Abair mé, le do thoil!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

I m PC usr. I cn haz to use teh karicktr mapz. Oh wellz.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician