PIPES!

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
LKtz
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by LKtz »

I am so happy! I just had my first uilleann pipe lesson. It's like wrestling an octipus, but oh well. It's so cool! But I am blabbering so, I just thought to share my good news!

Caryn
Tony
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Caryn,
At first, your 'squeak-to-music' ratio will be really high. As your skills develop, you should start hearing 'real notes' instead. I stress to close your eyes and block out all distractions... this will help you 'feel the instrument' and speed learning the proper grip without any air escaping from your fingers being in the wrong position. Don't get discouraged, it may not come to you in the first few weeks.
Once you can make a steady note, try to hold the note while re-filling the bag from the bellows while you continue to maintain one sustained note.
LKtz

Post by LKtz »

Thanks Tony! I am really excited to finally get to play the bagpipes!

Caryn
Steve Turner

Post by Steve Turner »

Hello LKtz,

I agree completely with the excellent advice that Tony gave. I teach the pipes and have found that leaking from around one or more of the finger holes is one of the major problems that a lot of students have to overcome.

Often, one finger in particular gives the most problems and its a good idea to identify which finger is being problematic so that extra attention can be given to that finger.

The best way to identify which finger is being problematic is by closing all holes on the chanter, putting pressure on the bag, and then sequentially making small adjustments to each finger position until the hissing noise stops. Another hint is to use a 'popping strap' to form an airtight seal between the bottom of the chanter and the leg. I find that a piece of chamois leather draped over the leg works very nicely.

Finally, as Tony pointed out, please don't worry if you have leak problems at first. It takes a while to develop 'finger position memory'...but it will come in time.

I wish you every luck, success and happiness with your piping lessons, and if I can help you in any way, please feel free to give me a shout :smile:

All the best,

Steve
Tony
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Hey Steve, I see this is your first posting to the C&F Uilleann pipe forum... WELCOME ABOARD !!
I'm kinda new here too. You'll find it's a great message board with plenty of friendly activity and some great URL's to be shared here as well. All the best you way !
Steve Turner

Post by Steve Turner »

Thanks Tony, I really appreciate the welcome and I look forward to becoming a part of this online piping community.

All the best,

Steve