Welcome everyone :)

Tá Failte Romhat! For all conversation about the Irish language. Scots Gaelic discussion welcome.
Forum rules
The purpose of this forum is to provide a place for people who are interested in the Irish language and various Celtic languages to discuss them, to practice them, and to share information about them, particularly (but not exclusively) in the context of traditional music and culture.

This is not a "translation forum," per se, though translation requests may occasionally be honored at the discretion of the moderators. If you're seeking a one-time translation for something like a tattoo, engraving, wedding vow, or other such purpose, we strongly recommend that you visit our friends at ILF: http://irishlearner.awyr.com
avanutria
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Welcome everyone :)

Post by avanutria »

Tá fáilte romhat, a chairde! Welcome to the Irish Language part of C&F.

You don't have to write in Irish here but it's encouraged! We will have all levels of speakers here, from the complete beginners to near-fluent and native speakers. Sadly, I'm closer to the beginner end, but I am hoping to get back into practice..

If you want to have your writing corrected by one of our experts, please do say so - I find it very helpful but if they don't know you want it, they won't want to risk offending you by pointing out mistakes!

And for our Scots Gaelic friends, please feel free to join in the discussions :) Just be sure to indicate which type of Gaelic you're talking about.
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Welcome everyone :)

Post by Redwolf »

Go hiontach ar fad!

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Cork

Post by Cork »

I think this is a great opportunity, and my thanks to Dale, and to others who have promoted this idea.

Now, avanutria, for those of us, myself included, who could be altogether new to the Irish language, just where could we begin our studies?

I've been looking at http://www.irishpage.com/irishpeople/
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

This is great. I really like the "Tá mé ag foghlaim Gaeilge / I am learning Irish" thread. Good idea. :thumbsup:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Dhia Duit!

[I have backslid so much. ]

May I be the first to propose that Dale turns the PROCT forum into a subset of this one, so all "political" discussion be conducted in Irish.

:poke:
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Not only are you the first to propose it but you may even be the first to consider it.
An bhfuil aon dearmad i mo Ghaeilge? Abair mé, le do thoil!