chiffandfipple.com hacked

Board policies and official announcements about Chiff and Fipple and the forums. Please read!
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: chiffandfipple.com hacked

Post by peeplj »

Doug, you don't say a model number, but I looked at the least expensive Belkin G router on Newegg, the F5D7230-4, which sells for about $30. This router does have a stateful firewall and also offers the option of a DMZ (which I don't recommend you ever use). The rest of this is written assuming that this is the router you have; if it's not, please post your model number, and I'll see what I can find out for you.

The router includes a 4-port switch, both your computer and her computer should be connected each to their own switch port on the back of the router. If you've wired it another way then that would be why you are slow, assuming you both use wired connections.

If she is using wireless and you are using a wired connection, her downloads are going to be limited to a 54 mbps pipe; hers will be slower than yours. The only way to change that is to move to a class-N wireless router and adapter, which will increase the size of that pipe to 270 mbps.

One thing to check is to make sure that her wireless network adapter is also class g or better (which would be class n). If she's using class a, she will be slow--the solution here is to get her a class G adapter.

For a small home network, the router you have should be fine.

However, for the best router I've found, a can enthusiastically recommend the Linksys WRT600N (or WRT610N, its replacement model, which is prettier). I have a 600N and it's a very capable and seriously fast piece of equipment.

I hope this helps.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Rich Lafferty is my personal hero.

Back up.
tin-titan
antispam: No

Post by tin-titan »

Hello Mr. Dale W., I noticed you are missing some of the images from the front page. You can visit, The WayBack Machine website, http://www.archive.org/index.php, and retrieve older versions (archives) of your website incase you cannot get the images off of the back up that you might have.

Your pal, Double T.
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

Sam and Joanie are victims of the economic crisis and a massive round of layoffs at ChiffCo. But they both collected their $1 million retention bonuses on their way out the door, and they're doing fine. Jill assures us that she can handle the customer service load by herself and keep on smiling.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
tin-titan

Post by tin-titan »

*Sigh* All of the good ones always get away. Alas, what will us geeky wacky lonely male whistlers do for eye candy? *Sniff, sob*
"Wake up your bones,
Tune up your drones,
Let flee that heavenly tone."
Denny

Post by Denny »

the internet is your friend.

fake it :D
tin-titan

Post by tin-titan »

Maybe the two lovely customer service reps could be replaced by lovely, less expensive interns or outsource the work to some lovely helpers with names like Indira or Aruna.
"Wake up your bones,
Tune up your drones,
Let flee that heavenly tone."
Mitch
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Mitch »

My latest Norton report on C&F:

Threat Report
Total threats found: 11

Ah well .. one down, 11 to go.

What is your service provider doing?

I had a similar problem on my own website a few months ago - the service provider involved went broke within 2 months of the incident.

The rich tip is that you had better get a new providor before all the main commercial clients of your current provodor jump ship and they no longer have the capacity to retain their technical staff - ergo fixing the problem.

If history is any guide I estimate you do not have long before the whole thing collapses and C&F will be forced to go "Phoenix" at great expense and loss of continuity - how are your backups?
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

peeplj wrote:Doug, you don't say a model number, but I looked at the least expensive Belkin G router on Newegg, the F5D7230-4, which sells for about $30. This router does have a stateful firewall and also offers the option of a DMZ (which I don't recommend you ever use). The rest of this is written assuming that this is the router you have; if it's not, please post your model number, and I'll see what I can find out for you.

The router includes a 4-port switch, both your computer and her computer should be connected each to their own switch port on the back of the router. If you've wired it another way then that would be why you are slow, assuming you both use wired connections.

If she is using wireless and you are using a wired connection, her downloads are going to be limited to a 54 mbps pipe; hers will be slower than yours. The only way to change that is to move to a class-N wireless router and adapter, which will increase the size of that pipe to 270 mbps.

One thing to check is to make sure that her wireless network adapter is also class g or better (which would be class n). If she's using class a, she will be slow--the solution here is to get her a class G adapter.

For a small home network, the router you have should be fine.

However, for the best router I've found, a can enthusiastically recommend the Linksys WRT600N (or WRT610N, its replacement model, which is prettier). I have a 600N and it's a very capable and seriously fast piece of equipment.

I hope this helps.

--James
Hi James

You have forgotten to ask the most pertinent questions - what is the nominal speed of Doug's broadband? and what is the contention ratio - the trouble might lie within the purview of the connection rather than the router.

Another possibility is that there is interference within the house reducing the signal strength where the laptop is situated and a repeater might be more appropriate than a new router.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
anima

Post by anima »

I posted this below in one of the threads, but htought I'd post it here too, just for FYI.

It looks like my site was hit possibly by the same folks who hit this one a few weeks back, they took me (all 7 of my websites) down twice in two days. I believe they may have got in through a wordpress exploit on one of the other sites. I'm not convinced of this though because on the same day as my initial hack, I got an email from from my webhost stating that they were moving my account (with all 7 sites) to a new server due to "instability" - hmmmm, instability my ass, their server got hacked and they don't have the balls to admit it if you ask me.

It is interesting that Dale and I share the same webhost, the same webhost that in 2007, had 3500 people have root accounts hacked when the webhost somehow failed to encrypt their account passwords - one guy had several hundred websites in his account that got hacked.

The bit of code they tried to insert into pages merely broke the php code, so I think no real harm done to anyone.

At any rate I have plugged the holes, and rebuilt the sites and sql databases from clean backups, changed all passwords, deleted all infected files, and switched to sftp.

uilleannforum.com is now back up and running

Jeff
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

anima wrote:I posted this below in one of the threads, but htought I'd post it here too, just for FYI.

It looks like my site was hit possibly by the same folks who hit this one a few weeks back, they took me (all 7 of my websites) down twice in two days. I believe they may have got in through a wordpress exploit on one of the other sites. I'm not convinced of this though because on the same day as my initial hack, I got an email from from my webhost stating that they were moving my account (with all 7 sites) to a new server due to "instability" - hmmmm, instability my ass, their server got hacked and they don't have the balls to admit it if you ask me.

It is interesting that Dale and I share the same webhost, the same webhost that in 2007, had 3500 people have root accounts hacked when the webhost somehow failed to encrypt their account passwords - one guy had several hundred websites in his account that got hacked.

The bit of code they tried to insert into pages merely broke the php code, so I think no real harm done to anyone.

At any rate I have plugged the holes, and rebuilt the sites and sql databases from clean backups, changed all passwords, deleted all infected files, and switched to sftp.

uilleannforum.com is now back up and running

Jeff
My sympathies, Jeff. I'm still trying to recover. I do wonder about the webhosting company, Dreamhost, and what role they might have played in it.

That said, I had installed a number of phpBB boards and Wordpress installations that I neglected and failed to update (because they weren't being used, for the most part) and so I certainly may have opened myself up to a backdoor invasion (so to speak).

Some of my websites, such as the teen driving thing, I had moved sometime ago to Google. chiffandfipple.com and righthandpointing.com, with Rich's help, are rebuilt and reconfigured and I'm hoping they'll be ok for the long haul.
anima

Post by anima »

yeah I know, the one-click installs make it too easy to install wordpress and crap all over the place and then forget it. I've had a bit of a cleanup at my sites this weekend. :-)

jeff
G1

Post by G1 »

Wow... hadn't noticed all this going on.

I've not had any troubles on this site, nor anything turn up for awhile in my daily virus scans. Many times when something of this nature happens, it is the host's server that gets attacked/infected - allowing it to hit the clients' sites. Hard to say without being there.

Happy Thoughts, Dale. Thank you for all your hard work!
*Playing a wind instrument is like walking with my ancestors. It's source is a timeless well.
*Don't believe everything you think... Yes, this means YOU!
Dave Parkhurst

Post by Dave Parkhurst »

It figures..... Bill Gates is soooo jealous of The Undisputed, and now has resorted to petty vengence.... expect to see Dale Force 1 in the air until this all blows over.....
"Fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom..."