chiffandfipple.com hacked

Board policies and official announcements about Chiff and Fipple and the forums. Please read!
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

chiffandfipple.com hacked

Post by Dale »

It appears that several of my websites, including chiffandfipple.com, have been hacked and contain a trojan horse. I'm about to take c&f offline for the time being.

So far as I can tell, the forum is not infected.
Cork
antispam: No

Re: chiffandfipple.com hacked

Post by Cork »

Could that include http://chiffandfipple.ning.com as well?
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Cork wrote:Could that include http://chiffandfipple.ning.com as well?
No. That's totally separate.
Cork

Post by Cork »

If so, then perhaps this could be a good time to put out an APB, All Points Bulletin, about The Ning.

That is, if C&F goes into shutdown, then perhaps there could be an alternative.

;-)
Loren
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Any idea what the Trojan Horse does in this case Dale? I actually visited the main site early in the day yesterday.

Thx,

Loren
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

I have noticed that accessing C&F from somebody else's PC has been difficult. I used to be able to type in Chiff and Fipple Forum Index and Google would bring me to the link. Lately, it won't and every link I do click sends up a red flag warning me of nasty insecure things.
Denny

Post by Denny »

what explains why we were not turning up on Google
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:I have noticed that accessing C&F from somebody else's PC has been difficult. I used to be able to type in Chiff and Fipple Forum Index and Google would bring me to the link. Lately, it won't and every link I do click sends up a red flag warning me of nasty insecure things.
Well, I don't really know what to do about it. All of this is hitting at a point when I have no time to deal with it. More than once person warned me that I needed to move all the stuff to a more service-oriented hosting company, but I didn't.

I have to focus on getting righthandpointing.com back up and, for the time being, I'm probably going to host it elsewhere.

The forum long since outgrew my ability to manage the technical side and with Rich's departure, I'm pretty much lost. MTGuru is a big help, but I don't think he's an expert on all of this either.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Dale wrote:
Joseph E. Smith wrote:I have noticed that accessing C&F from somebody else's PC has been difficult. I used to be able to type in Chiff and Fipple Forum Index and Google would bring me to the link. Lately, it won't and every link I do click sends up a red flag warning me of nasty insecure things.
Well, I don't really know what to do about it. All of this is hitting at a point when I have no time to deal with it. More than once person warned me that I needed to move all the stuff to a more service-oriented hosting company, but I didn't.

I have to focus on getting righthandpointing.com back up and, for the time being, I'm probably going to host it elsewhere.

The forum long since outgrew my ability to manage the technical side and with Rich's departure, I'm pretty much lost. MTGuru is a big help, but I don't think he's an expert on all of this either.
I just got an email from Dreamhost with a bit more helpful information, but it's still going to take a long time for me to sort it all out.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Take care of your priorities first Dale. It seems we can still log on to this board for the time being, so I do not see any urgency it dealing with it as of yet.
KevinCorkery

Post by KevinCorkery »

I just received an e-mail from another chiff member however it has been sent from another company using my friends e-mail address. I'm wondering now if the address book has been stolen? It comes from a site called Vanigo.com
Jack

Post by Jack »

I've had problems too.
Denny

Post by Denny »

KevinCorkery wrote:I just received an e-mail from another chiff member however it has been sent from another company using my friends e-mail address. I'm wondering now if the address book has been stolen? It comes from a site called Vanigo.com
you are showing your email address at the bottom of your posts, anyone/bot can capture it.
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

I tried to log on C & F yesterday, but every time I tried, my computer froze up. I had to do a control alt delete to back out. There was a screen from Norton security saying that there was an attempt to infect my computer, which, luckily, my security software was able to take care of each time. There were several security updates that came through the day before in the daytime, when my usual automatic security updates are in the early morning. The trojan horse or whatever was identified by name, but I didn't write it down. I read yesterday that there are growing instances of these types of malware attacks, and that an estimated one in ten computers in the USA (I believe) are presently affected, with sensitive personal data available to the hackers. The whole internet insecurity mess scares me.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Doug_Tipple wrote:I tried to log on C & F yesterday, but every time I tried, my computer froze up. I had to do a control alt delete to back out. There was a screen from Norton security saying that there was an attempt to infect my computer, which, luckily, my security software was able to take care of each time. There were several security updates that came through the day before in the daytime, when my usual automatic security updates are in the early morning. The trojan horse or whatever was identified by name, but I didn't write it down. I read yesterday that there are growing instances of these types of malware attacks, and that an estimated one in ten computers in the USA (I believe) are presently affected, with sensitive personal data available to the hackers. The whole internet insecurity mess scares me.
Well, this makes me think that board is infected, frankly. I wonder if I need to disable it for the time being. I hate to do it. I suspect it would be no sooner than 2 weeks before I can get it fixed.