Copley Flutes

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Reeded_Goat
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Reeded_Goat »

How are they?
Flute Girl

Post by Flute Girl »

This was posted on the old message board by JessieK a while back...

"I just got a Copley blackwood flute today, and I am blown away (pun not intended) by it. When I first saw it, aside from noticing how perfect it looked (beautiful substantial silver rings done by Dave's wife Marlene), I saw that the holes, including the embouchure hole, seemed rather small. I worried about it for a second (before I played it), thinking it would be a quiet flute, but as soon as I started to play it, I felt like it was playing itself. I think the smaller holes make it easier to fill than would the big holes on a Pratten model. The embouchure hole is a slightly elongated oval (not circle-ish, nor square-ish like some modern cut embouchure holes), and once you find the right spot with your mouth and ear (takes about a second and a half), this flute plays like a dream. The holes are easy to reach and cover, and the sound is full. Depending how you play it, it can be sweet and soft, or honking loud and reedy. Tunes fly out of it. I am highly impressed, and I find that I cannot put it down. I highly recommend it. The price is really good, too. Good work, Dave and Marlene!"

I got mine after Jessie posted that and I totally love it. I had a Seery flute before this one and I am amazed at how much better the Copley is.

~*~Kristin
ChrisLaughlin
antispam: No

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

They're exceptionally good! I own one and I love it.
That said, you might also consider a Hammy Hamilton flute. I tried about ten of them this summer and they were all absolutely superb and extremely well priced. His flutes are played by some really top players - Paul McGratten comes to mind immediately. Hammy is also a fantastic guy; friendly, knowledgable, helpful and with a great sense of humour.
Eamon Cotter's flutes are also top notch, but a bit more expensive. Still, bang for buck I think they're a steal.
Best of luck,
Chris
DanD

Post by DanD »

Based of previous posts here and on the woodenflute list, I have one on order. So far I've seen no negative feedback.
(Counting the days till November!! :smile:)
bob baksi

Post by bob baksi »

I haven't played my Copley blackwood yet, which I received end of August, as I simply haven't had time in the last month. It looks fabulous, and sounded fabulous when my daughter played it out of the hardshell case it came in. Copley's service and advice was first rate. He delivered ahead of his delivery estimate of 6-8 weeks, and he responded very promptly to the few email inquiries I made along the way.
Loren
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

I've had a Copley Flute for several months now and I really love it.

I also own a Healy and an M&E. In addition, I've played a Grinter and a Hoza. The Copley is, overall, the easiest to play and has the most trad sound of the flutes I've played. It's has very good volume and a wide flexiblity of tone - from very reedy to fairly pure.

Dave delivered the flute to me slightly ahead of time, and he has always answered any questions I've had promptly, which is more than I can say for some of the other flute makers I've dealt with.

There are plenty of excellent flutes and flute makers out there, however I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better flute, delivered as quickly, for the same price.

Best of luck,

Loren
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Yup...I still love my Copley flute, too!

:smile: Jessie
DrGiggles

Post by DrGiggles »

Please tell me the Copely comes with a hard case... :smile:

With the exception of the inexpensive whistles - which I really have no regrets putting into a cluttered drawer - I'm not used to buying instruments that don't come with some form of protection (i.e. hard case, gig-bag, etc.). If not, can anyone offer an alternative? The whistle pouches are out since I never store instruments assembled for any length of time.

Thanks,
Frank
DanD

Post by DanD »

I specifically asked Dave Copley when I ordered mine - he replied "We include a basic molded foam-lined plastic case." You might ask JessieK or Loren for more details.

Dan - trying to practice patience until November. :smile:
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

I love the case the Copely flutes come in. It's a hard plastic gun case with padding inside, the kind of padding my parents and I called "bumpy lumpy" when I was a kid. It holds the flute in place when it's closed. I love how utilitarian it looks, knowing there is something so beautiful inside. I carried mine through the airports the first day flying was allowed in mid-September, and I was surprised that nobody commented on it. Still, I told people there was a flute inside.

:smile: Jessie
dcopley

Post by dcopley »

Enough people have asked about our flute cases that I guess it is time to let the secret out. I buy them retail at "Outdoor World" which is a big sporting goods store, part of the "Bass Pro Shops" chain. Cost was $4.99 last time I got some. They are sold as a single pistol case, and are just the right size to hold a "D" flute with a 2-piece mid-section. You would need a longer case to carry a Pratten-style flute with a 1-piece mid-section.

Dave Copley