A word on the technical status of the forum.

Board policies and official announcements about Chiff and Fipple and the forums. Please read!
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: A word on the technical status of the forum.

Post by djm »

I am getting a lot of Out of Memory and MySQL errors the last couple of days.

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]

Out of memory (Needed 671088 bytes) [5]

An SQL error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact the Board Administrator if this problem persists.

Please notify the board administrator or webmaster: webmaster@chiffandfipple.com

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
MTGuru
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

djm wrote:I am getting a lot of Out of Memory and MySQL errors the last couple of days.
Yep, Dale's aware of this. Apparently, we're bumping up against our memory allocation when there are quite a few users online (28 at the moment).
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

I don't want to be too quick to increase the allocation, because that increases my monthly fee. (And I just increased it 2 days ago.) I'll certainly do it if those errors occur enough to be a major problem. So, y'all keep me posted.

Dale
djm

Post by djm »

Okay, getting a lot of these this morning:

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@forums.chiffandfipple.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
jcannon

Post by jcannon »

FYI I used to access the board through my phone, a PalmOS based Treo with the stock "Blazer" browser, but since the update, I can't do this directly.

If I type in or link to a URL like viewforum.php/f=2 for the flute forum, I get "Nor Found The requested URL /viewforum.php was not found on this server. Additionally, a 404 not Found error was encountered while trying to use Error Document to handle the request."

If I type in or link to http://forums.chiffandfipple.com/ I get "Site Temporarily Unavailable We apologize for the inconvenience... error id: "bad_httpd_conf"

If I use a Google search page to re-render the site for hand held, it can display the forums, though it's much harder to navigate in this form than how I used to directly access it.

Not sure if anyone else has run into this or has a work-around.
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

It's been terrible all day today. I've learned that the first thing you do when posting is to copy, then hit send. Back to like it was a few weeks ago I reckon. Same excruciating slowness, same error messages.
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
Denny

Post by Denny »

and it is so nice of you to share the error message Steve!

was it this one?
Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@forums.chiffandfipple.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
and did you copy and paste it into an email to webmaster....?
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Argh .. (where's me eyepatch) .. OK - AAArrrrr...

This partly falls into Bloggs' (that's me) rule of user services. It goes like this:

The more power you give to users, the faster your resources will run out.

The rest falls into Bloggs' rule of computer-programing-language-generational-layers. It goes like this:

Ther is really no generation of progaming language beyond the third (C, Pascal, COBOL etc) .. true there is wisdom in the notion of objects - but you have to be a black-belt Aspburger's nerd to use it effectively - the supply of them is limited (growing but never enough).

Things like PHP give me the oiks - they violate all of Bloggs' rules - it is worse than graphical interface driven language generators.

Here is teh third rule of Bloggs:
As things become more complex, illusions of simplicity become necessary to keep a reasonable perception of understanding of it all - this generates "harness" controls. Many a rider has not a clue if his horse is sick, cranky, hungry or simply downright ornery - just so long as the stagecoach gets to Phoenix ;) .. such riders are often found dead on the roadside from starvation, thirst, exp[osure or blood-loss. And here we have the whole of civilization trusting harnesses made of sparkly dream dust.

There is compelling commercial motive for real programmers to isolate themselves from users, managers, accountants, pseudo programmers and anyone else that can exert pressure on them. The time has long past when a humble user has any hope of understanding what is really going on in their computer - only the high priesthood of 1, 2 and 3rd generation programers can know. They now rule the universe and can spout any kind of malarky to cover their proverbials ;) .. it is an easy thing to dissable the error report system.

Truly religion is borne of ignorance. Ignorance is assured by need.

The get-out-of-jail-free card is and has always been:
If it doesn't work - sack the creator. ... If you dare.

Worst thing about computers is you cannot smell them until they explode.

(edited to say: on the bright side - Whistles don't suffer from these limitations .. and the stagecoach seems to be rolling a bit better than it did. )
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
chrisoff

Post by chrisoff »

Mitch wrote: Things like PHP give me the oiks - they violate all of Bloggs' rules - it is worse than graphical interface driven language generators.
:really:

Care to explain that one? Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Meanwhile back on the topic, I too am seeing an increase in the old errors.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Mitch wrote: Worst thing about computers is you cannot smell them until they explode.

Not sure it's the VERY worst thing, but I'll be repeating that one.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Terry McGee

Post by Terry McGee »

Anyone getting slow response? Everything else on my Internet is going swimmingly apart from C&F - it can take 30 seconds or so to respond sometimes. Any thoughts why?

Terry
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

Terry, it's a known issue. Here's a thread I started yesterday, if you want to read up on the responses thus far.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=90146