Terry McGee Flute Arrived

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
clark
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've played Irish flute most of my life. My band Celtic Waves has been performing in Honolulu for the last 17 years.

Post by clark »

Well, all I can say is that the most difficult thing about my new Terry McGee flute is putting it down too soon so I can break it in slowly! This is a thing of beauty that has a rich full sound and plays smooth as butter. It can be fairly said that I'm in love!

I have been playing a Boem flute off and on for thirty years, but didn't rediscover my Irish music roots till a few years ago when I took up the whistle. As my whistle playing got better and faster, I became more frustrated with the Boem systems resistance to bending and sliding notes. I also have never been able to play the silver thing fast enough (although anyone who likes Cherish the Ladies knows it can be done). The low whistle was not the answer either, with its awkward stretch - at least for me.

Enter the simple system 6-key flute. I didn't know if I would be able to make the transition and the price and long wait gave me pause. Now with it in hand I couldn't be happier. If there is anyone else out there in a similar situation... Don't hesitate! I'm still working on getting up to speed; but if I never get faster than slow aires and hornpipes (which I like alot) I'll still enjoy hearing the lovely rich sound that Terry McGee is able to coax out of lumber!

Clark
gcollins
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by gcollins »

Clark:

That's great. I've heard quite a bit about McGee flutes but have never played one. I'm sure you'll be delighted with how much you learn about yourself as you realize the flute was once a tree and it has a desire to be full again.

I've never played a Boehm flute, partially becuase I am so attracted to the wood. Ah well, maybe in 30 years I'll have the courage.

Enjoy!
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

Regarding McGee flutes, keep an eye on his website for what he's calling the Roving Embassador Flute. It's a pet project of his whereby people everywhere will be able to sign up for a week's tryout on one of his keyless flutes. Terry tells me the project is about to begin, so I'm sure he has more information available.
And I can attest to the wonder of his flutes. I had a keyless of his for sale earlier this year that lasted all of about 15 minutes on my website. For good reason, too.
gcollins

Post by gcollins »

Yep, the roving flute I'll have in about two weeks, then it's on its way to you David...I should get the flute right after I get that kick ass R&R flute from you, David!!!! (I hope)
tony pearson

Post by tony pearson »

Clark
Very interested in your recent article since I first came across Terry McGee's excellent website last February. I 'pushed the boat out' in March and ordered from Terry what I thought was a very inexpensive 'Noe Freres' 19th cent. type (keyless with a tapered bore and small/close fingerholes . . . for small hands).
I am very encouraged by your positive comments since I had no way of knowing how Terry's flutes stacked up against the 'opposition' (especially given the price!).
I think the waiting list at the time of ordering was about 20 months or so. . . I don't know whether this is still the case but it sounds very much like it will be well worth the wait.

Thanks for the good news Clark - Cheers . . .Tony P