Tom McHaile-'All Ireland Whistle Champion'

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
kevin m.
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by kevin m. »

Can anyone tell me more about this musician?He is mentioned by name by Bill Ochs in his Chiff and Fipple interview,and I've seen an album called 'Pure Traditional Irish Tinwhistle music'by him(This album incidentally has a totally sh*te cover,like one of those ultra-budget c.d.'s that you see in places that shouldn't be selling albums, or tacky Irish tourist shops,- for all I know it may have some brilliant music inside!).He is described as 'an all-Ireland whistling champion' Am I missing a well kept secret?Should I take a chance, cough up the money and find out for myself? Information please!
adriancarrington

Post by adriancarrington »

Hi, Kevin,

If you are a tinwhistle enthusiast, then rest assured that this album is DEFINITELY for you! Hidden or not, this album IS a treasure.
I agree about the packaging, but don't let it put you off! I was just grateful that the album was so inexpensive.
Like you I was aware that Tom's playing is not discussed frequently on these forums. I did a brief websearch, which revealed little, but did indicate that Tom has, unfortunately, passed away.
If any other people on the forum can provide a little more information about Tom, I would be very pleased to find out more.
I hope the album brings you the same pleasure as I have drawn from it, Kevin.

Best wishes from Adrian
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

Thanks for the recommendation Adrian,'don't hear a c.d. from it's cover'-to update an old saying!Anyhow,I've gone ahead and ordered this album(together with 'The branch line' by the Coen brothers),so I'm looking forward to some good listening! I see that the album is Whistle and guitar only,so I hopefully expect it to be pretty much straight ahead 'purish drop'stuff. I had done a quick net search myself without bringing up any hard info. on Tom and his music-though I expected that a name check by Bill Ochs should count for something.Please keep the information coming,if anyone else can enlighten me.
Tom_Gaul

Post by Tom_Gaul »

I have an old OUTLET record that perhaps the CD was later made from. The notes on the back don't say too much except that he is from Roscommon and that he won the 1966 All Ireland Whistling Championship which was held at Boyle.
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

The late Tom McHale was the brother of flute and whistle player Mike McHale (still living...Mike plays and teaches in New York State). An outstanding whistle player indeed.

Mike also won the All-Ireland, in 1959 or 60, I believe, for his rendition of The Skylark and Roaring Mary. I believe he was the one who made that set popular, in fact.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: bradhurley on 2003-01-06 15:02 ]</font>
johnkerr

Post by johnkerr »

Mike also won the All-Ireland, in 1959 or 60, I believe, for his rendition of The Skylark and Roaring Mary. I believe he was the one who made that set popular, in fact.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: bradhurley on 2003-01-06 15:02 ]</font>
I always thought it was Joe Cooley who did that. Made the set popular, that is, not won the All Ireland whistle title...
kenr

Post by kenr »

Yes it was Cooley but Kieran Collins also played those tunes a lot on the tin whistle.

Ken
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

Funny, I heard somewhere that Joe Cooley had learned that set from Mike McHale! Someone should ask Mike himself...
Azalin
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Azalin »

Edit: Oops, didnt read Brad's previous post. So we're talking about the McHale's. Darn, I really have to get Tom's CD.

Ok wait a minute, is it "Tom McHaile" or "Tom McHale", and is Mike McHale Tom's brother? I'm a big fan of Mike.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Azalin on 2003-01-06 17:38 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Azalin on 2003-01-06 17:39 ]</font>
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

Brad,

Have you got Mike's rendition of Roaring Mary? It's not on his CD, he has the famous set Green Mountain/Skylark which I play every hour, but no Roaring.
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

The album cover clearly spells Tom's surname as 'McHaile'. I eagerly await this album now!
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

I don't have any recording of Mike playing Skylark/Roaring Mary.

I'm pretty sure he was the first to put those two reels together, and Joe Cooley got the set either directly or indirectly from Mike's playing. Cooley's playing (and recording) of that set brought it into wider populatity. At least that's what I think I remember hearing from Mike one time.

On the spelling: I've seen Tom's surname spelled "McHaile," but Mike spells his name "McHale."

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: bradhurley on 2003-01-06 17:48 ]</font>
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

On 2003-01-06 15:02, bradhurley wrote:
Did they change the rules sometime along the line? I thought you could only play single tunes in competition, no sets.
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Mike was one of my first teachers and he did indeed win the all Ireland with the Skylark/Roaring Mary set - which he says he learned from his dad.

As for the Tom McHale record - I've got it. It's superb. It has been tremendously influtential on many, many of the "great" whistle players around today. Find it if you can. If not, get Mike's album "The Schoolmaster's House".

Best,
Chris
StevieJ
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

Have to register a dissenting opinion, guys. This thread stirred a dim memory in my mind and rooting around in a box of old tapes, found a copy of this record that someone gave me years ago. I listened to it once then and am just listening to it now and remembering why.

I really don't find much to like about the record. A nice style, sure, but I find the whole thing sounds bland - as though he was very unhappy in front of the microphone. It has a Comhaltas "Shhhh! This is your CULTURE!" feel about it, with Tom announcing each tune in stitled fashion. I also get a distinct touch of seasick in the slippy-slidy slow tunes and the chromatic marches, which together with the bathroom echo and the Peter-Paul-and-Mary guitar accompaniment....

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: StevieJ on 2003-01-06 22:27 ]</font>