Seamus Egan's Copeland low D stolen

A place for our musicians to post information about instruments lost, stolen, or otherwise missing.
Forum rules
This is the C&F-wide forum for posting notices of any instruments which have been lost or stolen, or have gone missing.

Titles should include at least the type of instrument (flute, fiddle, etc.), the place of disappearance, and the nature of the loss.

Example: Stolen: Generation D whistle in Timbuktu

Reports linked from other sources or internet sites should include the basic information in addition to just the link.

In order to limit cross-posting, and to keep reporting and information centralized in one place, a post linking to a notice here (but not a copy) may be posted in ONE other C&F forum, typically the forum of the instrument involved.

Of course, follow-up posts to announce found or recovered instruments are always welcome!

Thanks - Your ChiffCo Management
fluteboy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Seamus Egan's Copeland low D stolen

Post by fluteboy »

Two years ago in Dublin, Seamus Egan's Copeland was stolen off the stage after a Solas gig. This is only being posted now as Seamus was not aware of this forum and had pretty much given up finding the whistle. This is the low D that is featured on all of the first 6 Solas albums and the two live DVDs, and it was the very first low D that Michael ever made. Seamus would love to be reunited with it. He doesn't remember many distinguishing marks, but he said it is very dented and beat up and he is pretty sure it did NOT have the "Copeland" name engraved on the head-joint barrel (you can find plenty of video on the two Solas live DVDs for a closer look) . I realise this is very likely a long shot, but there cannot be too many old Copeland low Ds floating around, especially if one turns up in Ireland or the U.K. If anyone has purchased an older Copeland or seen an offer for one, and thinks they may have any information, please send me or Dale a PM and I will pass the info on to Seamus. Lets get these two back together!

Many thanks,
Zac Leger
weedie

Post by weedie »

Jeez there's some low specimens of humanity around......imagine going to a concert and then stealing the artist's instrument :boggle: can't fathom that ....
It IS a longshot that Seamus will get the whistle back....stranger things have happened though.........good luck with it.........
" Quiet is quite nice " ..... weedie .....
fluteboy

Post by fluteboy »

There are indeed, Weedie, but as musician who has had instruments stolen and then later returned, there are also plenty of decent folks out there. Hopefully someone may see this post and have some info or possibly even a change of heart! Keep spreading the word, folks!

Zac
MandoMark

Post by MandoMark »

Didn't Pete Yarrow have his guitar returned after something like 20 years? There is some hope.

It is low to steal someone's instruments. I suppose I can see this happening to a bar band, where a Fender amp might fetch $200 or more from a pawn shop, but who is going to try to pawn a low whistle?
fluteboy

Post by fluteboy »

Yeah, as Seamus told me, his flutes, his other whistles, etc were all on the same table. Someone singled out that one instrument; they knew what it was. I guess it was some kind of "trophy" to them. Maybe they will see the light and return it!

Zac
fluteboy

Post by fluteboy »

And by the way, I don't think Seamus cares who took it or what the story is. He would just love to have it back, even if returned anonymously.

Zac
MTGuru
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

We're going to make this a sticky for a few weeks or so, at Seamus' and Zac's request, in case that might help in publicizing the loss and recovering the instrument. - Mod.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
whistleman922
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by whistleman922 »

what a tragedy! That whistle is such a part of him as a player in my mind. Seamus was my first big inspiration when I was a little 'un. I hopehopehope that he gets it back. I can't imagine losing an instrument that's so dear to you...it'd be a nightmare.
Light a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night. Light a man ON fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.~terry pratchett
Ballyshannon

Post by Ballyshannon »

Sure hate to hear about things like this.

Years ago when I was touring, I was coming back to my (then) home base of Chicago from a tour of the east coast. My parents lived in northern Indiana at the time, so thought I'd spend some time with them and scheduled a stopover, flying into the nearest airport at South Bend. Back then, the South Bend airport was a very small operation with an antiquated baggage recovery system where the conveyor passed bagged through the actual front lobby where anyone could access it. I was traveling with three guitars, all in humidity-controlled anvil cases, along with one suitcase. All baggage was locked, and my last name was stencil-painted on the black guitar cases. My next gig was back in Chicago with my long-time friend, John Prine.

I made it to South Bend but none of my baggage showed up. I waited for a couple hours to see if it may arrive on another flight, but nothing. I reported it and was told as soon as my items showed up, they'd call me. So I caught a cab to my parent's place and waited. I received a call that evening that the baggage had arrived and was in a protected holding area. So I drove back to the airport and to my astonishment, all was there EXCEPT my prized 1970 Guild Paul Simon F-30R. There were only 100 made and I had the 68th one that I'd purchased at the Chicago Guitar Gallery in 1970. What a wonderful instrument and my main stage guitar!

I was grief-stricken. I went back to my parent's place and had a few beers. The next morning I received an anonymous phone call from a guy who said, "I feel horrible about this, but I have your Guild guitar and I promise it'll be returned by cab." Inside the case, I had a list of contacts including my home phone in Chicago, and he said he'd called my home number and after learning about the situation, one of my roommates gave him my parent's number, knowing I was there. My case was full of legal contracts, including the upcoming gig with John Prine. On the phone, the thief said he was a huge John Prine fan and after seeing the contract and my performance schedule indicating I'd be with John in a few days, he wanted to return my guitar. Naturally, he wouldn't give his name and was most likely calling from a payphone (there was no caller ID back then).

To my amazement, a cab pulled up with my Guild & case on the back seat. Good Lord....the cabbie could have easily ripped it off. I can't believe how fortunate I was. When flying, I always detune the strings and it was tuned up, so the thief obviously had a good time playing it. I had to have the lock replaced on the case but other than that, no damage. I used the Guild for the Prine gig and had a great story to tell. I still have the Guild and though I no longer use it, I'd never part with it.

I can only hope Seamus will be as fortunate and have his prized low D miraculously show up.
MusicalADD

Post by MusicalADD »

That's a great story, Ballyshannon!

And that must have been a very strange phone conversation. You probably didn't know whether you wanted to strangle the guy or sing his praises.
Ballyshannon

Re:

Post by Ballyshannon »

MusicalADD wrote:That's a great story, Ballyshannon!

And that must have been a very strange phone conversation. You probably didn't know whether you wanted to strangle the guy or sing his praises.
It was indeed a rather odd and unexpected conversation. Funny how we rarely recall precise emotions at a given time so many years ago, but to this day I recall the elated feeling of that phone call, and retrieving my Guild was all that mattered.
brewerpaul

Re: Seamus Egan's Copeland low D stolen

Post by brewerpaul »

Good story! I can relate, since I have a 1966 Guild F-30 which I bought with earnings from my first paying job. Is it possible that I paid only $150 for it back then? It's not a Paul Simon model, but I learned much of what I know about guitar playing from copying licks for S&G records.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Ballyshannon

Post by Ballyshannon »

brewerpaul wrote:Good story! I can relate, since I have a 1966 Guild F-30 which I bought with earnings from my first paying job. Is it possible that I paid only $150 for it back then? It's not a Paul Simon model, but I learned much of what I know about guitar playing from copying licks for S&G records.
Sounds like we have a lot in common and your Guild is four years older than mine.

Paul, I'm sure you're aware of this, but for others who may be interested, the way I understand the evolution of the F-30R Paul Simon is back in the late 60s, Guild wanted his endorsement and because of Mr. Simon's small physical stature, he liked the size of the F-30, which I believe has mahogany back and sides. But Simon wanted rosewood back and sides and a bit more bass response, so Guild made him an F-30 with Indian Rosewood back and sides, and a deeper body...thus the F-30R. It turned out so well, they made a limited run of 100. I paid $400 with hard case in October, 1970.

Like you, I spent many hours copying licks from S&G records. Ahh...the good ol days :)

BTW, were you aware that Paul Simon is quite a whistle player?
Ballyshannon

Post by Ballyshannon »

BTW, here are some photos of yours truly playing the Guild when the band I was with at the time, SlipJig, opened a Gaelic Storm concert in Birmingham. I've since left SlipJig to start an ITRAD trio and no longer play the Guild.

http://www.slipjigband.com/SlipJig%20Ba ... llery.html
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

I share Paul's stature, which is exactly why I bought my F-30. I get lost behind a big dreadnought...
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!