New Format and Links Question

Get help using the forums. If we can't help you, FEMA can.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

New Format and Links Question

Post by Nanohedron »

I'm not sure how best to explain what I'm experiencing, but I'll try. First let me preface that I'm using Windows XP. Anyway, the issue: the usual way with the previous format was that when I clicked a link, a new, separate page opened up. Now what's happening is that the link opens up on the same page the link was offered on, making the source page a previous page, and if I want to view the original page, I have to hit the "Back" button.

Is there any way with this phpBB3 format to do the opened-link-makes-new-page way of doing things? I think it's better.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
I.D.10-t

Re: New Format and Links Question

Post by I.D.10-t »

Rovers

Same here. If you right click on the link, you can scroll down to open in new tab, but it doesn't seem to be the default and works like HTML links have.

Hmm, need to fix my signature.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dale »

Did a little Googling and discovered that is a change in phpBB 3. Evidently they made the change so phpBB would be compliant with something or the other. There's a fix for it. But it requires modifying the code. I'm looking into it.

Dale
Denny

Post by Denny »

ah, Nano....it's somewhere between yer browser and the board.

In IE: Tools/Internet options/Tabs settings
In Firefox: Tools/Options/Tabs

take charge, eh :D

ah, Dale....might be allowing the user to select, in their browser, the action that they would prefer.

ah, with Firefox & Tab Mix Plus, I've been able to override most of that stuff anyhow :D
jkrazy52

Post by jkrazy52 »

May be a silly question .... but where can you change the font size in the new setup, if it's possible? It shows up much smaller than the 14 point font my browser (Firefox - OS XP) is set on. Didn't have much luck finding any place to change this on the user control panel.

Edited to add (in case it doesn't apply to everyone) the font display I see is equivalent to approximately a 6 point font. Hard for my old eyes.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

I agree it's a bit hard to read. I'll see what I can do.
azw

Post by azw »

Nanohedron wrote:....the usual way with the previous format was that when I clicked a link, a new, separate page opened up. ...
I haven't researched the links question in phpBB3, but the behavior of opening a link in the same tab or window is considered proper behavior by "web standards".

If you use Firefox, you can set your browser to behave the old way. I use the Tab Mix Plus extension to do this. You can visit its homepage here: http://tmp.garyr.net/
Once you get it installed, to Tools > Tab Mix Plus Options. Then on the Links tab at the bottom, for "Force tab to open in new window" select "Links to other sites". That should do it... but it'll do it for every site you visit, I think.

I'm not sure I'd change the build-in behavior, Dale. You might have to edit the source files every time you update the forum software, which can become a real PITA.
Last edited by azw on Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Art Zoller Wagner
azw

Post by azw »

jkrazy52 wrote:....where can you change the font size in the new setup....
Try holding the control key while you press the 0 (that's the zero above the "p" key). That should reset your text size to the default, at least in Firefox and Internet Explorer 7 (maybe others, not sure).

It sounds like you have "zoom" set, perhaps accidentally. You can zoom larger with control and +
and zoom smaller with control and - .
Art Zoller Wagner
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Nope, it's not zoom. I'm having the same problem, which I posted about in this other thread before discovering that it was being talked about over here as well. S1m0n says (heehee, 'simon says') it's something concerning the stylesheet selections. I was always rubbish at stylesheets.

Edited to add - wow, I can't tell much of a difference between hypertexted words and regular words in this colour scheme. I have the feeling I'm going to miss a lot of in-line links.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Denny wrote:ah, Nano....it's somewhere between yer browser and the board.

In IE: Tools/Internet options/Tabs settings
Okay, fine. Then what? After all this time, Denny, you seem not to have grasped how unintuitive much of this stuff is for me; it's a language thing.
Denny wrote:ah, Dale....might be allowing the user to select, in their browser, the action that they would prefer.
I'm hoping.
azw wrote:...the behavior of opening a link in the same tab or window is considered proper behavior by "web standards".
I think it's rubbish, and needs to be stopped. Right now. "Web standards"...no one asked ME about any "web standards". :really: :wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Denny

Post by Denny »

Nanohedron wrote:
Denny wrote:ah, Nano....it's somewhere between yer browser and the board.

In IE: Tools/Internet options/General/Tabs/Settings
Okay, fine. Then what? After all this time, Denny, you seem not to have grasped how unintuitive much of this stuff is for me; it's a language thing.
oh dear....
after clicking on Tabs Settings ya get a window
uncheck Open new tabs in current tab
or uncheck Enable Tabbed Browsing
how would I know? I don't use the thing!

two notes:
I edited the path
There ain't much in there :D
azw

Post by azw »

avanutria wrote:Nope, it's not zoom....
If you look back at Jkrazy52's message you'll see that his problem and yours are different. He's got a size issue, you don't. (Congrats, by the way.)

It could be, however, that what you've seen is a change in fonts. If that's happening for you, perhaps you could uninstall that scrunched font. That would force the browser to go to the next one on the list, which might be the old one, if I remember correctly.

I don't think that first font is installed on my computer, and things look fine, except on the index pages (where all the posts or all the forums are listed). Most of the phpBB3 developers are probably young and have good eyes. That issue could be fixed by increasing the size of the fonts in the style sheet. I'm guessing that changing a style sheet wouldn't require reediting at every update of the software.
Last edited by azw on Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Art Zoller Wagner
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Denny wrote:after clicking on Tabs Settings ya get a window
uncheck Open new tabs in current tab
or uncheck Enable Tabbed Browsing
Waidaminnit. Wouldn't that do the opposite of what I'm after??? A language thing, see...
Denny

Post by Denny »

I have no idea! It's been years (and a couple of releases of IE) since I've seen it.

If ya don't like what it does now change it and see what it does then!

(there's a put it back the way we sent it to ya button, eh)
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Denny wrote:I have no idea! It's been years (and a couple of releases of IE) since I've seen it.

If ya don't like what it does now change it and see what it does then!

(there's a put it back the way we sent it to ya button, eh)
Right. I'll just bull about in the china shop, then.

Hmm. What happens if I do this? *click* *kaboom*