My latest flute: Copley Delrin. It's Great!

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
cocusflute

My latest flute: Copley Delrin. It's Great!

Post by cocusflute »

I have played several hundred flutes. I've been playing the timber flute going on twenty years. I currently play an Olwell cocus, among flutes made by other notable makers. I have owned about a half dozen plastic flutes. Some were good and others not so good.
I love to try new flutes. The best way is to buy them, play them, then sell them along after a while. I generally about break even.
I recently bought a Copley delrin flute, used, from a board member. I cannot believe how good this flute is. I can leave it out, assembled, all day. When I pick it up to play it I am delighted with its quick response, its solid low D, and its good tuning. It will be a long while before I sell this flute along. It is a gem.
I heartily recommend this flute both to beginners as well as to experienced players. It's a great starter flute and a wonderful second flute for an accomplished player. It's a fine flute to have in Tucson, where I am now, and to keep in my pack while traveling up the coast, which I will be in a few weeks. If it was blackwood and sounded this good it would be just a good flute. To have this flute in indestructible Delrin is a definite plus.
Dave Copley has no idea that I am posting this - needless to say, I have no financial connection to Dave, other than a casual friendship.
The struggle in Palestine is an American war, waged from Israel, America's most heavily armed foreign base and client state. We don't think of the war in such terms. Its assigned role has been clear: the destruction of Arab culture and nationalism.
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Can you say a little about the weight and balance of this flute? I usually find Delrin flutes heavy, and my Copley, which had a lined head, seemed a little head-heavy to me. Say, relative to an Olwell with an unlined head? TIA.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Cork

Post by Cork »

chas,

I, too, find Delrin a little on the heavy side, but not bad, and yes, this keyless, short footed, unlined Forbes wonder does at first seem just a bit heavy at the head end, but in use it actually balances reasonably well, on the base of the LH finger.

Edit: BTW, I like this flute, with my thanks to Rob Forbes!
Last edited by Cork on Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cocusflute

Post by cocusflute »

The balance is fine. Weight doesn't matter as much as balance. In any case, you wouldn't buy a flute based on its weight. It has the delrin, slippery feel to it. But I'm getting used to that. I've been playing it on and off throughout the day for the past week.
It's not lined -- no rings -- and the balance seems just right.
The struggle in Palestine is an American war, waged from Israel, America's most heavily armed foreign base and client state. We don't think of the war in such terms. Its assigned role has been clear: the destruction of Arab culture and nationalism.
kkrell
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Coming through Los Angeles?

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
lixnaw
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by lixnaw »

For me the sound clips on Dave's webside really convinced me to put down my order for my first wooden flute. It was like the sound came from every direction. The wait was only 3 weeks then, that was way back in 2005. I've never looked back since, still prefere the Copley sound, and don't feel the need to try another flute anymore. *I can't say that for accordions though*
Liney Bear

Post by Liney Bear »

I tried Cocusflute's delrin Copley on Sunday and was much impressed. For the money, you absolutely can't beat it.

Cocusflute, I can attest, is also a lovely flute player and a very nice fellow.
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

Is it one of these (photo from Doc's website)?

Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Re: My latest flute: Copley Delrin. It's Great!

Post by Jon C. »

cocusflute wrote:I have played several hundred flutes. I've been playing the timber flute going on twenty years. I currently play an Olwell cocus, among flutes made by other notable makers. I have owned about a half dozen plastic flutes. Some were good and others not so good.
I love to try new flutes. The best way is to buy them, play them, then sell them along after a while. I generally about break even.
I recently bought a Copley delrin flute, used, from a board member. I cannot believe how good this flute is. I can leave it out, assembled, all day. When I pick it up to play it I am delighted with its quick response, its solid low D, and its good tuning. It will be a long while before I sell this flute along. It is a gem.
I heartily recommend this flute both to beginners as well as to experienced players. It's a great starter flute and a wonderful second flute for an accomplished player. It's a fine flute to have in Tucson, where I am now, and to keep in my pack while traveling up the coast, which I will be in a few weeks. If it was blackwood and sounded this good it would be just a good flute. To have this flute in indestructible Delrin is a definite plus.
Dave Copley has no idea that I am posting this - needless to say, I have no financial connection to Dave, other than a casual friendship.
I always knew that you would finely get won over to delrin flutes!
Hopefully Dave will take over the delrin flute market by storm,and save me from making anymore of them... You can't go wrong with one of his flutes, utilizing the Hawkes & Sons design, which is the best of both worlds, between Pratten and Rudall. Haven't played one, but I am sure they are great players.
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Berti66

Post by Berti66 »

jon..........does that mean you're gonna give up making delrins??? *sniff...there goes a dream* too busy with repairs?

berti
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

Berti66 wrote:jon..........does that mean you're gonna give up making delrins??? *sniff...there goes a dream* too busy with repairs?

berti
Get one from Jon... go wood.

Maybe you can coax him into a key or six.

:twisted:
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
Berti66

Post by Berti66 »

heh.......oh we have talked..... ;)
berti
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Aanvil wrote:
Berti66 wrote:jon..........does that mean you're gonna give up making delrins??? *sniff...there goes a dream* too busy with repairs?

berti

See how effortlessly I highjack a thread, even when I endorse the competion! I am good... :twisted: That moderator better keep an eye on this! :D
Actually, I would rather have Dave Copley make the delrin flutes, and he is doing a great job! Terry made a keyed Delrin flute, but I don't think it was very fun. For you Berti, I will make a exception. :)
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Berti66

Post by Berti66 »

awwwwww Jon.......... *swoon* ;)

berti
all music is what awakes within you
when you are reminded of it by the instrument.
walt whitman
daiv

Post by daiv »

Jon C. wrote:
Aanvil wrote:

berti

See how effortlessly I highjack a thread, even when I endorse the competion! I am good... :twisted: That moderator better keep an eye on this! :D
Actually, I would rather have Dave Copley make the delrin flutes, and he is doing a great job! Terry made a keyed Delrin flute, but I don't think it was very fun. For you Berti, I will make a exception. :)
that's cuz you're karma's so dang good! either that, or your flutes are as good as they say. :D