A. Rogge site address?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Brian Lee
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Brian Lee »

Anyone happen to know the address for A. Rogge pipes? I found t once, but have since lost it. Thanks! Also, I've heard mixed reviews on Ray Sloan's work. Anyone own a practice or half set of his, and can compare it to anything else?

Just curious.

Bri~`
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Brian, I've already posted Rogge's site. With so much great Uilleann information on the internet it's hard to remember it all, but here it is again, enjoy !!
He's got some very professionally produced pictures of beautiful crafted sets.
http://www.uilleann-pipes.de/

I usually recommend Patrick D'Arcy's website for the 'who's who' on pipes as he has the most complete listing (links) to pipe related websites.
http://www.concentric.net/~Pdarcy/
------
I've seen a few Sloan practice sets appear on eBay and I've inquired to him directly once. He responded promptly and answered my questions very business like. What mixed reviews have you heard ?
He seems to get good feedback from those with his sets. I'm curious how he sells so many practice sets with keyless chanters.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Tony on 2001-09-26 19:37 ]</font>
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

I forget where I heard it mentioned, but I seem to recall someone once mentioning they ordered one of his sets, and they seemed very pretty, but didn't play nearly as well as expected.

I've also inquired with him as to his sets, and got a fairly prompt reply. I asked him why he didn't offer regulators as well, and he said he simply didn't have the time to develop them.

I was a bit turned off by this, in that if he's not willing to devote the time needed to make a complete set, how much time did he spare to make the half set? i know he makes many other styles as well, and time is precious, but still.

just me getting jitters is all I expect.

Thanks for the other links too.

B~
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Brian,
You can't fault a pipemaker who only makes practice and half sets... seeing that it's probably the bulk of their business. As long as you know this up front. Besides, you've got years to progress. When you feel the need to get a full set, Sloan may be making full sets by then.
I would expect Ray has several employees to be able to produce so many different types of pipes and still offer relatively short wait times. Remember, It's a business.
Just because Baskin Robbins ice cream doesn't have walnut fudge, doesn't mean the butter pecan isn't any good! Don't get turned off about the maker because he doesn't produce what you want. Besides, there are plenty of other good pipemakers that can make full sets If it's an important requirement for your consideration.
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

Thanks Tony,

I have of course already ordered a full set from Seth Gallagher, but I was curious about Sloans stuff.

Just the tone in the email I recieved from him seemed to imply a disinterest in developing his pipes any further. That was why I was a little turned off.

I think his piles LOOK stunning, and would very likely have ordered a set, but that I was told to try and order domestic if at all possible.

Anyway, thanks again!

Bri~