Time to stop price policing.

Board policies and official announcements about Chiff and Fipple and the forums. Please read!
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Time to stop price policing.

Post by Dale »

We've had a number of For Sale threads in which sellers have been criticized for the asking prices on instruments. I've noted on some similar boards this has been outlawed. Never saw a need to do that, but I think the time has come.

If someone wants to offer to sell a slightly used Generation D for $100, and somebody wants to buy it, that's the biz of the seller and the unfortunate buyer. (The internet now allows a motivated person to easily do research to determine that a price is out of bounds.) If someone wants to part with a high-end whistle at a price that is higher than the price of a new one--while I'd appreciate the irritation of the original maker, I don't think there's any basis to protest.

So, we'll be stepping in to moderate posts in which someone is objecting or implying something shady in a FS post. If you suspect something downright crooked is going on, PM a moderator.

Dale

[See CCCP #8 for the updated version. - Mod]
crookedtune
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by crookedtune »

I resemble that remark! :lol:
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
Killain

Post by Killain »

Well spoken...
But since it falls unto my lot that I should go and you should not, I'll gently rise and softly call, goodnight and joy be with you all.
rhulsey

Post by rhulsey »

You've got an "amen" from my little corner of the world...
"Those who can make you believe absurdities
can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Can we still complain about the price of gasoline?

:P

Oh, by the way, gas is $5 US a gallon in Haiti. Haitians also make about 40 cents US a DAY.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
sturob

Post by sturob »

Awwwww, come on!

That's like the #1 source of holier-than-thou posts, and the holier-than-thou posts are like the BEST!

I've price policed.

I'm not ashamed to admit it.

:)

Stuart
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Thanks for that Dale. Much appreciated.

As a maker - I'd be insulted if my whistles got sold at a discount - if they had depreciated in any way, I'd prefer to get them back for a free service/repair rather than see them travel in poor repair.

I appreciate that other makers have a different ethos on this, but it all falls into the category of "Each according to their wisdom." . That respect should also extend to buyers and sellers. For myself, I take joy in the good fortune of others, to do otherwise is to make the world less.
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Now I have to consider the maker's feelings if I want to give someone a break? I already have enough to worry about... :wink: