Amplifying a concertina?

We have some evidence, however, that you may have to pay for the reeds.
Tim2723

Amplifying a concertina?

Post by Tim2723 »

What methods have you found best for amplfying a concertina for live performance? If possible I'd like something that's reversable rather than having to drill holes in anything.

I'm selling off a few unused flutes and whistles, and I'm thinking of getting a Rochelle concertina for a starter instrument (advice received earlier in this forum, thanks!). I probably won't be playing in public for a long time, but I'd like to undestand the problems of amplifying these from the beginning.

Thanks all.
The crwth will set you free!

Tim Smith
Kindred Spirit
www.kspirit.info
robbie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by robbie »

wow not much goin on hear. anyway i'm about to buy a rochelle too. I hope to be playing in a pogues type band in the future and i would also appreciate any advice on micing concertinas. by the way what whistles do you have there tim?
Tim2723

Post by Tim2723 »

Hi Robbie. I was surprised that there isn't even much info on Concertina.net. I guess most of the players use them in session music without amping them.

The only thing I've come up with is a mic set up fom Micro Vox. It's a pair of tiny condenser mics that hook on to the end plates and run through a little mixer that hooks on your belt. I don't think there's much else to choose from.

I haven't got my Rochelle yet, and I'm kind of changing my mind about the concertina anyway. The whole process has been pretty discouraging for me. I hope you have good luck.

The only whistles I'm using now are a Sweetheart in D and a pair of Overtons in high and low E. I'm still using flute, mandolin and banjo in the act. I've sold off most of my other stuff because I only ever use those ones.

Tim Smith
Kindred Spirit
www.kspirit.info
Liam
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been playing Irish music for years, now I want to learn more about whistles to help teach my kids. Currently I play the Anglo Concertina and B/C accordion.

Post by Liam »

Well, I have never had to have my concertina amplified (though I did have it done once a few weeks ago when I was presuaded to sit in for a tune with a band that plays in my favorite pub). The basic possibilities are the following:

1. A single microphone in front of the instrument. Not the best solution for picking up sound that comes out of the sizes of the instrument.

2. A microphone sitting on either size of you... the problem is the dinstance isn't constant, at least at one side.

3. I have seen some players attach velcro to their concertinas and use that to hold microphones right next to the grill. Probably the optimal solution.

--
Bill
Tim2723

Post by Tim2723 »

Yeah Bill, I think your number three is the function of the MicroVox system. The problem with a concertina is that it's a moving target, literally! I used to play in a band where one guy played concertina on a few songs. He played it into the single mic he used for his banjo, like what you said. It was OK, but not optimal in any regard. But it was enough to get by with. I was hoping to get something better than that.

Tim Smith
Kindred Spirit
www.kspirit.info
dpmccabe
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by dpmccabe »