"Accordion Revolution" image in Newfoundland

We have some evidence, however, that you may have to pay for the reeds.
MatthewVanitas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

"Accordion Revolution" image in Newfoundland

Post by MatthewVanitas »

I'm mainly a dulcimer and whistle player, but thought the squeezeboxers might like this. Since I came up here to Newfoundland to do some projects, I've been seeing various t-shirts and sticker of this image:

The buttonbox, especially one-row 4-stop, is pretty big up here, and has plenty of younger players to keep it going. Thus it kinda figures into the local mythos, as seen above.

The pink-green-white flag is the unofficial "Republic of Newfoundland" flag, so pretty distinctive.

Not affiliated with the local shop that makes the stickers (though I flirt with the girl who works there), just thought it's a cool image.
Cynth
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Cynth »

I'm not a squeezeboxer myself :lol: but it is indeed a very nice image for a number of reasons. I've been up to Nova Scotia, including Cape Breton Island, a few times and to Vancouver Island and I'm really hoping to visit Newfoundland one of these summers. Good accordion music gives me one more reason to want to go there!
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

Our 4-stop's case has one of those stickers on it. Jen has a t-shirt as well.

The Accordion Revolution was an actual event two summers ago, you know -- one afternoon at the Newfoundland and Labrador Folk Festival they set the Guinness record for most accordions playing at once, with 989 accordions all playing "Mussels in the Corner".

I'd love to see a follow-up t-shirt with the ubiquitous American revolution fife, drums, and flag picture replaced with accordions and the pink-white-and-green....
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
Brian
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Brian »

hello,
Any possibility of contact info for the shop selling the stickers?

Thanks,
Brian
MatthewVanitas

Post by MatthewVanitas »

Any possibility of contact info for the shop selling the stickers?

That'd be: http://www.livingplanet.ca/

Again, I don't work for them, I just think it's a cool sticker. I like the Newfoundland flag in general, as it's pretty distinctive.

I bought an embroidered patch (from a different store) with the green-white-pink, and hot-glued it onto my ukulele case. I don't have any cases to put the Revolution sticker on, as my Hohner melodeon doesn't have a case, I should probably go find a case for it.

EDIT: I don't see the stickers on their site, but if you call or email, I'm sure they can send you the stickers in a postage envelope. Stickers are $1 or $2, and postage around 90c. They have sticker versions of most of their shirt images.
MatthewVanitas

Post by MatthewVanitas »

I bought one of their other stickers when I realized that I could trim off the lettering and it would perfectly fit over the label of my Schylling toy accordion.

I had to try out 25 toy accordions at the shop to find two that played decently, so wanted to decorate it up a bit.

I traded a string instrument from Tajikistan for two toy accordions, so I'm only $4.50 into each of them. I plan to give one to a young punk panhandler downtown and turn her into a busker, and sell the other cheap to a juggler/unicycler downtown who wants to add music to his act.

I'm having way too much fun in Newfoundland.
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

Ah, yes, that would be the other sticker on our 4-stop's case. :) (Not counting the little "made in Canada" maple leaf sticker that came with the case when I bought it.)
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)